Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

The Right Time For FSX?

I have been holding on to my copy of FSX since I got it after the FANCON last year at DULLES. I still have FS9 running well on my curernt system, but am getting itchy to make the move and get a new system and getting FSX up and running. Are the newest systems finally able to handly FSX well enough for smooth flight with sliders favoring the right side? Thanks. Tom

Get yourself 3GHz+ dual/quad core, and 8800GT and 2-4GB RAM and for the most part the answer is yes. Even on such a rig with the lastest FSX SP2, I find busy airports and heavy weather still too much of a load for even mid level settings, with FPS dipping below 10 at times. Factor in my recent purchase of a Matrox TH2G, which drives a resolution of 3840x1024, and things get even slower; so much so that my FS9 install is now enjoying a resurrection, as it absolutely FLYs on my rig.I hope this doesn't dampen your spirits too much, but I just wanted to let you know that if you want to push much further than the base FSX package and display desire that there can some notable dropoffs in FSX performance, even on the fastest rigs out there of today.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Thanks for the advice Gary! I had a feeling it was still to early for FSX. Makes one wonder when the hardware will really catch up. Regards, Tom

Guest Lennyt

>Thanks for the advice Gary! I had a feeling it was still to>early for FSX. Makes one wonder when the hardware will really>catch up. Regards, TomWhen FS11 is ready. Then when you try to move to that platform...well you get the idea:-)

Well, I'm running FSX on an Asus G1S Notebook (that's right, a notebook), and FSX works fine for me. No real complaints here.However, I think all that FSX really needs to steal the show from FS9 is more high-quality 3rd party airports, like FlyTampa's KSEA and KSFO. But as most here know scenery development in FSX has become a bit dicey, at least so the rumor goes.Cheers,Bryan

Gary,I have a core 2 duo E6750 2.4 GHz with 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA 8800 GTS/640MB. I get 26 fps with many slides on max (including AI) and Radar Contact working on the same machine.But I got those results after working with http://www.fs-gs.com/.It cost me 70 Euros (about $ 102.00) but for me it is worth while. This is the second time I work with Michael (old and new PC)but I got results for a couple of evening work (he lives in CA and I in Belgium).

Roger

See my specs in my profile

>I have been holding on to my copy of FSX since I got it after>the FANCON last year at DULLES. I still have FS9 running well>on my curernt system, but am getting itchy to make the move>and get a new system and getting FSX up and running. Are the>newest systems finally able to handly FSX well enough for>smooth flight with sliders favoring the right side? Thanks. >TomAs you already have FSX, have you tried FSX on your present system just to see how it runs for you?

For what it is worth, I had FS9 running great on a four year old PIV-2.8 and was quite unhappy when I installed FSX, even after adding memory and upgrading the video card.Now, I have had the local computer store build me a current technology system, Q6600, 8600GTS and 2 GB of fast memory on a new motherboard (Asus P5K), all pretty standard stuff in today's world I might add. The result: FSX runs beautifully with FPS locked at 30.I'm sure that I can get the FPS down by adding more traffic / weather / detailed airports and such, but KSEA which was a trouble spot before is just fine now with detail on extreme and autogen at normal. So, in short, yes you can buy a current level machine and run FSX well without resorting to watercooling or the latest, high priced hardware.

Bert

>So, in short, yes you can buy a current level machine and run>FSX well without resorting to watercooling or the latest, high>priced hardware.I can agree with that. My machine:Athlon XP 2600+1.5GB RAMGeforce 7800GTAt mediumish settings, I get a solid 24FPS (locked) in rural areas and around 10 in dense urban areas (my test case is New York City). I've been more than happy with the performance and visuals. I suppose I should also mention that FSX is the first flight sim I've owned and played since FS98.But basically, no, you don't need a bleeding edge supercomputer to run FSX at acceptable performance levels.

.. and as the cost of pretty warm hardware is going down it's becoming increasingly affordable. I've had this system for about a year now, and have not a single regret because it's still current - and gives me the performance I "always wanted". :)The pics below don't do justice, because they are from 1680 x 1050 jpegs which started out at 4 and 500 k. Climbing east thro' th soup off LAX: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180661.jpgTurning south toward San Diego:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180662.jpgInto KSAN/rwy 09:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180663.jpgOver Denver for Salt Lake:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180664.jpgYou want houses? - Finals to 16R at Seattle:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180665.jpgThere's never "the best time" to buy or upgrade a pc: whatever you get will be obsolescent in a few short months: the 8800 came out three or four months after I got the 1950, but I don't regret it. I get no blurries, no driver issues, no AA/AF problems. The C2D 6600 is one of the best you can get for FSX - and it's easily "overclockable" without cooling: I run a steady 54 deg no matter what. I'm using UTX, AFX and VoxATC.Some settings:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180669.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180670.jpgRegards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Victor,I thought about that but someone told me, or I read somewhere that one's copy of FSX only allows a couple of installs. I was afraid to "waste" one on a test. Is this true or not? If not, that's exactly what I would like to do. regards, Tom

Thanks Pj and great pics by the way. What is your average fps with these great settings and is that a default plane or an addon? Regards, Tom

There is no "limit" that I know of...If you keep on installing it on different systems, you may end uptalking to a friendly Microsoft employee to explain the circumstances..

Bert

>When FS11 is ready. Then when you try to move to that>platform...well you get the idea:-) Exactly. In 12+ years of simming, you can never run the current release of FS to the max until approx two years+ after it's release. And when you can run the current version without any hiccups, and 'full boat', a new version comes out, and you are back to where you started from in some respects.Forget about frame rates being the 'absolute' decision maker, smoothness counts for more, and FSX has FS9 beat by a wide margin there. IMO, and in my experiance, the 'blurries' in FSX are also far more manageable in FSX than FS9 as well. That was a real tough nut to crack in FS9 up til only the last year when hardware caught up with it, and basically 'over powered' it.Beyond that, FSX is just simply a better overall sim, and so are the add-on's for it.

PJ,Great shots and thank you for driving me insane.Now I don't know if I should go with ATI. LOLWhat are your settings and AA etc? Are you getting between 25-30 in NYC?Thanks again.Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.