Sign in to follow this  
767lover

Accumulating and melting snow for 2024

Dear MS and Asobo,

I have seen the seasons in the 2024 trailer; wonderful! To add to the realism, please include accumulating and melting snow in 2024. Realistically falling snow and blowing snow would be huge benefits as well. I like to see a clear effect of freezing and thawing temperatures on the environment, including precipitation, something that is sorely missing in 2020. 

Thank you! 

Is it me or is someone expecting too much from a flight simulation.🧐  We already have snow in the sim and a freezing effect on the windows when it's below zero. The only thing I see at this point is when "MeteoBlue' shows a slight snow covering it's no longer depicted in the sim.  Only yellow areas have real snow coverage now which needs to be fixed.  That being said what's being asked here is a little over the top, but hey to each his own.😏

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

The only thing I see at this point is when "MeteoBlue' shows a slight snow covering it's no longer depicted in the sim.  Only yellow areas have real snow coverage now which needs to be fixed. 

Actually, exactly the opposite is as well rendering vast areas unusable with live weather: the overdone amount of snow and frozen waters in the Alps, vast parts of Scandinavia, NZ South Island and I assume also in vast areas of the Rockies and Andes. In those areas, you can basically not use live weather because it will show snow and frozen lakes even with 20°C outside temperature for several days...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Like this?

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Yes, probably like this ^^

In the end, it's probably going to be something like "Dear Asobo, next time please read the MeteoBlue snow coverage map with the appropriate resolution, not just the lowest possible one".

• Like 2

What I also dont get: why they introduced again (I think it was fixed...) the ridiculous white roads when sparse snow is depicted? Things like this I really do not understand, it looks soooo wrong to have sparse snow on the fields but totally white roads. 

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Really looking forward to seasons in 2024 and any new weather improvements that come with it. For the meantime, something that I feel needs to be considered, is a way to clear off snow on the windscreen/aircraft. As an example, in 2020 if a user parks the plane and leaves the sim running while they go grab lunch or something and during that time a snow front passes or sets in, the plane will get coated in snow making it impossible to look out of the front windscreen so how can one clear that without restarting the sim? Guessing the same could happen if its snowing and the user is waiting for their IFR clearance from ATC. 

Edited by Ident

45 minutes ago, Ident said:

Really looking forward to seasons in 2024 and any new weather improvements that come with it. For the meantime, something that I feel needs to be considered, is a way to clear off snow on the windscreen/aircraft. As an example, in 2020 if a user parks the plane and leaves the sim running while they go grab lunch or something and during that time a snow front passes or sets in, the plane will get coated in snow making it impossible to look out of the front windscreen so how can one clear that without restarting the sim? Guessing the same could happen if its snowing and the user is waiting for their IFR clearance from ATC. 

Between your experience and the video I posted above, it is clear to me that MSFS already does what the OP is asking for. The issue is that there are parts of the world where the snow/ice does not melt because of how the sim is interpreting some of the data.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.