Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Is icing broken?

I'm been trying different aircraft in icing condition.  I can get plenty of ice on the windshield but none on leading edges. If you have different experience please share aircraft you use and location.

P.S. I do have icing turned on in my settings

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Now that you mention it... happened to me too. Yesterday at LJLJ, aircraft LVFR A321NEO with HorizonSim mod on top. It was -12 C and I got ice on the windshield alright, but that was it. No ice on leading edges.

54 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I'm been trying different aircraft in icing condition.  I can get plenty of ice on the windshield but none on leading edges. If you have different experience please share aircraft you use and location.

P.S. I do have icing turned on in my settings

Have found it is very airplane and weather dependent...

Did flight into MMH earlier using the TBM (think this models de-icing best) and had windshield and leading edge icing. Both abated after turning on respective switches. It always seems to build on the side windows first, and then splotches on the boots with some remaining behind the boots. Hit the boots 3x and each time it removed the splotches. Saw the spot of ice on radar pod as well, much like you do in the real plane. Windshield heat kept the side windows clear, albeit oddly saw rain/water streaking back as well periodically. External view(s) showed splotches all over the plane, but have yet to notice any inlet and/or prop icing...

The beautifully re-done SR22T iced up really well when trying it into KTRK on the RNAV while back. The ice definitely affected the flight model when it stalled on the approach. Sadly there is no de-ice / TKS / heater modelled for it...

Have yet to see the thin line of ice uniformly across any wing leading edge as you would on real flight

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002
  • Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Ive been flying in southwest canada lately with a few different airplanes and found them icing up on the wings and windscreen. 

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I was starting in a Duckworks DC-3 in CYYT and even before I had started my engines, my windows were completely frozen. The propellers also had ice on them, which increased with time, and there was some ice already around the nose of the aircraft. I could not see ice on the wings though, but perhaps that is hard to see since the wings were a metallic colour.

While I was waiting there a AI Cessna 152 was landing. It had ice on the front of its wings and on the front of the vertical stabiliser. A Pilatus Porter that was parked also had ice on the wings.

My biggest gripe was that there is no option to de-ice an aircraft. Surely I can use the deicing of the aircraft but when it is complete iced  that takes ages.
Also, icing seems hardly to have an affect the performance of an aircraft since I could take off in the DC-3 while it had still over 50% ice (according to the variables) on its fuselage. That might be model dependant since I remember (but that might also have been FSX) icing to have an effect.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I was flying the Blacksquare Baron in icing conditions and I had zero visible icing, but I was losing performance as if it were there.  I turned on the de-icing equipment and my performance got better.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw any ice at all (and yes it is on). 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Seems like there is a delicate balance between the coding in MS2020 and how aircraft developers are coding their aircraft to handle icing. Icing is just like those other effects of weather such as thunderstorms, turbulence and ground surface conditions. In the real world, I have a strong vested interest in avoiding these conditions. In the sim, if there isn't an impact, then why avoid it. Many times in sim I'm about to taxi and GSX mentions de-icing. I always pass on it because there's not impact. Now in the real world, I have never experienced the impact of icing because I avoid it like the plague. I know that the slightest change of the airfoil shape by icing can significantly increase the stall speed. The FAA hold over tables are a good guide of how to impact the aircraft for icing. If you are outside of those guidelines, make it bad lol. I've done a walk around before after being shot and seen the fluid freezing and requiring to be shot again. I have cancelled a flight before because after two deicing sessions, there was no way to get to the runway without it re freezing. I've been in situations where I am shot in parking and shot again at the runway to takeoff within 5 minutes.

I'm looking forward to a point where I have to actually check the weather for my sim flights. Actually avoid build ups and cells or else I will bend some metal. Consider my takeoff/landing distance during rain, sleet and snow or else I will have a over run. Easy on the taxi speed or else I'll depart the prepared surface when icy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

Seems like there is a delicate balance between the coding in MS2020 and how aircraft developers are coding their aircraft to handle icing. Icing is just like those other effects of weather such as thunderstorms, turbulence and ground surface conditions. In the real world, I have a strong vested interest in avoiding these conditions. In the sim, if there isn't an impact, then why avoid it. Many times in sim I'm about to taxi and GSX mentions de-icing. I always pass on it because there's not impact. Now in the real world, I have never experienced the impact of icing because I avoid it like the plague. I know that the slightest change of the airfoil shape by icing can significantly increase the stall speed. The FAA hold over tables are a good guide of how to impact the aircraft for icing. If you are outside of those guidelines, make it bad lol. I've done a walk around before after being shot and seen the fluid freezing and requiring to be shot again. I have cancelled a flight before because after two deicing sessions, there was no way to get to the runway without it re freezing. I've been in situations where I am shot in parking and shot again at the runway to takeoff within 5 minutes.

I'm looking forward to a point where I have to actually check the weather for my sim flights. Actually avoid build ups and cells or else I will bend some metal. Consider my takeoff/landing distance during rain, sleet and snow or else I will have a over run. Easy on the taxi speed or else I'll depart the prepared surface when icy.

That's the next level i'm looking for as well. But it remains to be seen if MS/ASOBO wants to remove the guardrails since they seem to want to manage the crash and damage aspect of the sim in relation to wx and environmental conditions. Hopefully people who want their flight affected by these conditions have the option to experience it eventually. Things like wet/snow runway stopping distance as you mentioned should have been a given by now. I remember a very very brief period in the early days of the sim when flying into one of those dark towering cumulonimbus was very bad doing a flight from Calgary to Vancouver and made me wonder if i was indeed going to fall out of the sky. After a few service updates they toned that right down.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I am flying the PMDG DC6 in Northern Part of the US and get icing all the time. Windshield Ice, Prop Ice, and airframe Ice. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am flying the PMDG DC6 in Northern Part of the US and get icing all the time. Windshield Ice, Prop Ice, and airframe Ice. 

Could you be more specific what airport, route and altitude? I tried Alaska yesterday in several airplanes and all I got is windshield ice! Also in assistant option do you have icing effect ON, Visual only , or OFF? I'm considering possibility that Asobo may broken ICE setting and when you set it ON you actually sets it OFF

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Could you be more specific what airport, route and altitude? I tried Alaska yesterday in several airplanes and all I got is windshield ice! Also in assistant option do you have icing effect ON, Visual only , or OFF? I'm considering possibility that Asobo may broken ICE setting and when you set it ON you actually sets it OFF

KALB-KYUL-CYYZ-KBUF       Icing effect ON

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Which plane? Tried Alaska week or 2 ago and got all the ice's. King Air 350.

3 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Which plane? Tried Alaska week or 2 ago and got all the ice's. King Air 350.

I tried stock Baron, FSR500, BBS 330. Live weather was on. Then I tried to set up custom weather with snow, high humidity and temperatures range -1c..-10c. All I got is window covered with ice but airframe or leading edges.

10 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

KALB-KYUL-CYYZ-KBUF       Icing effect ON

I'm trying right now KALB- KSLC. Got some rain and temperature below zero, still no leading edge ice 😞

18 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I tried stock Baron, FSR500, BBS 330. Live weather was on. Then I tried to set up custom weather with snow, high humidity and temperatures range -1c..-10c. All I got is window covered with ice but airframe or leading edges.

Ok have not tried any of those in icing. The 'best' plane it seems for ice depiction is the stock TBM. It is/was the poster child for the sim at launch, so that may have something to do with it. The stock King Air 350 also.

With that being said, have not seen 'leading edge ice' per se on anything either. Just the white 'splotches' that disappear when hitting the boots, and the same stuff you see on windshield shows behind the boots, on the top of wing.

Pretty frustrating for anyone who has flown in icing conditions and knows what it looks like and how it presents.