Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Trimming ground steer

Is there a way to trim for straight in taxi? I'm trying to fly the Warrior by Rien Cornelissen and it has a great deal of left pull even at slow taxi speeds. Using rudder trim doesn't seem to effect it. Any way to correct this in the cfg files?

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest jshyluk

I'm not familiar with the aircraft. You can try reducing the p-factor slider in your realism settings. Remember that you can use multiple settings cfg.'s, so you can have one cfg. for taxi and another with the p-factor on full for flight.That or maybe you are having a differential braking issue, although hauling on the right brake as you taxi is not realistic procedure.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Jeff, I'm a woosie flyer; neither of these is activated. It turns left even at the slowest speeds but rudder seems normal once off the ground.Bryan, I've tried that and the sliders in the control setup menu without success.I thought there might be a tweak in the cfg file that would straighten the taxi.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Be aware that on single prop planes, even at slow taxi speeds you will be feeling the effects of torque and will have to be quite active on the rudder pedals-even more so in a tail dragger.One of the cfi's I know loves to tell the following story. He was doing some dual with a person who had a private grass strip with a small turn around at the end. Every time he landed he back taxied the whole length of the runway to turn around-as he could not make the turn around in the small cleared runup area. The cfi asked him why he was making his turns to the right? The stunned pilot asked why?-and the instructor refreshed his memory about torque. Turns out-making the turns to the left allowed the pilot to turn around in the small area due to torque-(it puts a greater load on the left landing gear allowing a tighter turn)-and the pilot found he in fact did not need to back taxi at all-saving some valuable avgas.This cfi says he always shakes his head in amazement at how few pilots-when advancing the throttle from a still position-don't put in any right rudder and end up pulling to the left....and then of course correcting.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest PPSFA

IF all else fails, check the wind direction, set it for directly down the runway and see if you still have the problem.

Guest jshyluk

From my experience, which is not all-encompassing by any stretch, it's uncommon to have a sim aircraft with a rudder problem that goes only one way. What I mean is that if the rudder is screwy, it will be screwy both to the left and to the right. Jeff Shyluk Assistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM