Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

Duchess Model 76 (X-Plane 12) released

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

7 hours ago, alexcolka said:

I like it a lot.

I don't. graphics remind me of x-plane 10 years ago, but nice sounds. the Thranda-Carenado co-operation was ideal. unfortunately they split up, both now also have to deliver the other party's job. jack of all trades - master of only one. 

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

I've noticed a bit of a downside with the JustFlight planes, specifically regarding their sounds. There's this repetitive loop on the engines, and when it resets, there's a noticeable click that's hard to ignore. It might be a minor gripe for some, but personally, it gets on my nerves. It feels like not enough attention is given to the audio aspect, and I've observed a similar issue in their MSFS products (which are still very good).

On the flip side, I recently rediscovered AirfoilLabs, and I must say, their quality is top-notch. I got their Cessna 172 NG, and despite already owning around 6000 different Cessna 172s, this one stands out as the most immersive and well-modeled small GA aircraft in my collection. The sounds are great,the effects make the plane feel alive, and the array of options for managing, maintaining, and dealing with failures are simply mind-blowing.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, turbomax said:

graphics remind me of x-plane 10 years ago

I got this because there are not too many twin props for xplane-12, but this is not even x-plane 12 default quality. and all this "goodness" for $ 37,- ? I was sceptical as I had never seen high graphics quality in previous Thranda products, and unfortunately this airplane confirmed my concerns.

the screenshots and youtubes mislead me, but in VR where you can get really close to objects this panel looks all around pretty bad.

if someone wants it, I am prepared to sell my Duchess, for half price if anyone wants it. flown for less than 1 hour. worst x-plane purchase I have ever made. flight model, 3D outside modelling, manual and included performance charts are great though.

spacer.png

low resolution 2D-foto plastered onto 3D object.

spacer.png

what! screws are simple 2D-images in a 3D cockpit?

spacer.png

spacer.png

how are we to know which autopilot mode switch to press while in the cockpit (without asking the copilot to RTFM). just try them one by one? since they are not labelled nor illuminated when inactive. they illuminate only AFTER the corresponding switch has been pressed, like in this screenshot: how to switch from HDG mode to NAV mode? 🤣

quote from the manual:

"mode selections are made by pushing the desired mode switch. The selected mode will be illuminated."

spacer.png

rain drops on windows where there is no rain?. perhaps just another x-plane bug.

spacer.png

spacer.png

"x-plane just keeps getting better and better" ? unfortunately not on my pc.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

very nice.

Unless the feature list and release announcement swallowed some items, the only difference to the XP11 release is 8k textures with new PBR materials, dynamic liveries and the 2D menu having moved into the tablet EFB. No fmod sound update/revamp to the 2.0 standard, no thorough look and working over the PlaneMaker flight model, heck, not even a mention of XP12 compliant lights...

20 hours ago, turbomax said:

the Thranda-Carenado co-operation was ideal. unfortunately they split up, both now also have to deliver the other party's job. jack of all trades - master of only one. 

False. This update is all Thranda's work, because nobody else does 8k textures and dynamic liveries at the moment.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

4 hours ago, turbomax said:

I got this because there are not too many twin props for xplane-12, but this is not even x-plane 12 default quality. and all this "goodness" for $ 37,- ? I was sceptical as I had never seen high graphics quality in previous Thranda products, and unfortunately this airplane confirmed my concerns.

I've purchased quite a few planes lately (for both X-Plane and MFS) and most have been fairly disappointing in the end with the quality and shortcuts taken (Some are also very good, so it's not all bad). I get that different people see importance in different things, but it is starting to show (or maybe my old age is :P). 

I'm really waiting for someone to create a really nice Bonanza or Cessna 182 for either platform and I'd buy these in a heartbeat, but I'm also becoming more wary of what I spend my money on these days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

I've purchased quite a few planes lately (for both X-Plane and MFS) and most have been fairly disappointing in the end with the quality and shortcuts taken (Some are also very good, so it's not all bad). I get that different people see importance in different things, but it is starting to show (or maybe my old age is :P). 

I'm really waiting for someone to create a really nice Bonanza or Cessna 182 for either platform and I'd buy these in a heartbeat, but I'm also becoming more wary of what I spend my money on these days.

It's not just you.  I don't understand why we are aren't getting really high quality models and textures in XP12.  LR did increase the qualities of visuals in XP12 but it appears many addons are just updates for 12 and not taking full advantage. I still think the AA needs work here... lots of shimmering and I don't want to see shimmering on my planes in 2024.  It's just a big letdown imo.  When I'm flying a virtual plane it's not only important that it feels like a real one but that it looks like a real one too.  Our eyes are drawn to things that look out of place, or really low resolution.  Like TM said, these things stand out even moreso in VR where this stuff is literally in front of your face.

IDK though, maybe the XP12 market hasn't ramped up yet.  I frankly think the XP11 market is still strong and not everyone has a PC to be able to run the highest settings in XP12 (and even if you do there are shimmers everywhere....)  I'd like to remain hopeful though, as XP12 brings a lot of new wonderful things to the XP genre.  I'm really excited for what the next major update brings like AA improvements and weather etc.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like this Duchess to an extent but for me the systems modelling should be better at this price point - it seems to be a problem across Thranda's aircraft that they just don't get into the details of avionics and in a plane like this were you can't swap around the instruments it becomes quite a bit more noticeable.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:42 PM, tonywob said:

I'm really waiting for someone to create a really nice Bonanza ... for either platform

someone did that already, the best Bonanza out there. costs less and is much better, but only for the "other" platform.

https://www.justflight.com/product/steam-gauge-overhaul-analog-bonanza

very nice.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:57 AM, Skywolf said:

I was about to pull the trigger on this bird.

want mine? I'm prepared to sell it for 1/2 price incl. serial number, have flown it once and never touched it again.

very nice.