Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Pondering the Imponderable - Questions for our Brit Friends

TomA traditional bacon butty is basically a fried bacon sandwich. You eithercan use unsmoked bacon or smoked or both. I know of a roadside stall where you mix 'n match the types of bacon to your own choice.It has to be fried until it's just turning crisp. You then lay the slices of bread down in the frying pan to soak up the fat before making the sandwich. Many people like to add tomato ketchup or brown sauce but I prefer mine plain.Incidentally there's no need for butter or margarine - the bacon fat should be enough. It should be made with slices for bead, not baps or anything like that. Also the idea of using olive oil, as suggested in the link, is totally repugnant to a true Englishman - olives don't grow in England!!!They always taste better when eaten in the open air on a nice crip morningEnjoy.

>It should be made with slices for bead, not baps or anything like that.Huh?I'm intrigued... I love bacon - I love sandwiches = I would love this sandwich. -Greg

Greg, you must have permission from your cardiologist to partake in this uniquely Brit artery clogger. :) Now, I am awaiting detailed directions on how to construct one of these babies!

Back bacon is good, but I prefer streaky bacon. You need---Two thick slices of white bread, 6 to 8 rashers of bacon, one blob of pork dripping. Fry bacon in the dripping to prefered crispness. Dip both slices lightly in the fat, making sure you leave some fat in the pan. empty one large tin of Heinz baked beans into the remaining fat. While they are heating up, place all the bacon onto one slice, add red, brown or both sauce to taste. Slap the other slice on top and cut in half. Empty the beans onto a plate and smother in pepper. Eat the two together. Delicious.After all that, you just better try one Tom.Russell.

Guest airbus2

Hey,For those who prefer not to clog arteries, a bacon sandwich can be made from bacon that is grilled, or microwaved, although the microwave option preduces lower quality bacon, its still reasonably good.simply take your grilled/microwaved bacon and place it between two slices of bread and add sauce (brown is the best!)Dave

Guest baksteen33

>>So what is brown sauce?>> You probably would be better off not knowing:-lol >ROFL! @ Tom, you got me worried! Really worried! >>I've never been in any doubt what I'd choose if I had to decide my last meal - it'd have to be a bacon butty.<< Last meal? Don't tell me you're preparing your last meal, Tom?!? ;-) Are the forums that miserable? :-) Come over here and I'll take you to Northern Italy for maybe the best you've ever had? Wine, the finest salamis, breadsticks... I've eaten a lot 'all over the place' and IMHO, Northern Italy is THE place to enjoy extensive meals in very nice ambientes. In case, make sure you BYB (better half). Did I mention truffels..? :-) Anyway, whenever you're near the Alpes, please feel free. Kind regards Jaap

Guest Gazelle

You May also like to try the "EGG BANJO" famous in our Army amongst soldiers.As the previous directions suggest, bread or a rol/bun/bap is used with not bacon but Fried Eggs instead. You can add a sauce of your choice if you wish. For the hungry amongst you, add bacon as well!As for the name, Picture a fried egg, with a runny yoke. Put it between two slices of bread, lift it to your mouth, take a bite, and then slowly realise that the yoke has burst and is now running down your shirt. You then furiously try to wipe at it, which makes you look like you were playing the banjo!!Gavin Hendrie

Well Gang,as a true Brit, I simply must add my take on this.it's a fairly simple sandwich to make, but, can easily be spoilt by the un-initiated, so here goes.1) Take the Phone off the hook, and turn off the door bell. (nothing should get in the way of your enjoyment.)2) Bacon, (must be Smoked Bacon for best results.)3) White Medium Sliced Bread. (none of this healthy option brown bread malarkey either.)4) Fried Bacon is best, (Grilled takes too much flavour out.)5) Best Butter. (a good quality butter, Anchor or Lurpack will do, again, none of this low calorie stuff here, and don't even think of using any of that low cholesterol stuff either, scrimping on this part will spoil the whole experience)6) Fry the Bacon till it just starts to brown, then serve up on the buttered sliced or cut bread. (I don't personally encourage the use of dipping the bread in the fat, it's too greasy and messy for me)7) Then, add lashings of HP Brown Sauce and eat whilst hot. (I don't like using the HP Fruity Sauce, as I find it too tangy, and takes away the natural taste of the Bacon itself)8) Don't tell the other half, as you will be read the riot act on cholesterol and fat intake figures.9) Relax, and Enjoy what you are / have just eaten, and give anyone a "severe slap" if they say it's "Bad for You" I hope this gives you a small insight as to how to go about making a nice Bacon Butty Tom.All the Best,PS I am now probably going to be threatened by the "Fruity Gang" now, but, oh well. My Other Half says I'm fruity enough anyway.

Guest Shalomar

My clan breaks the yolk and smears it on the bread first- it's called a Traill Special!!!Best regards, Donny:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

I'm depressed. I've just looked - there's no bacon in the fridge and Sainsbury's closed over an hour ago :(This thread should be locked...NOW!!!Anyway, should we Brits really be risking the Tower by giving away such a carefully guarded National secret? Hope you all sleep soundly tonight without being disturbed by that knock on the door...LOLMike :-mad