Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Pondering the Imponderable - Questions for our Brit Friends

"Anyway, should we Brits really be risking the Tower by giving away such a carefully guarded National secret?"I am thinking that you don't have too much to worry about. Now, give me the secret recipe to Devon Clotted Cream and you may be at real risk (or fine Stilton - that would work for me too!). :)EDIT: Come to think of it, I will trade you a secret recipe for Fijian Bololo (Fried, of course) in trade for the clotted cream. Then we would both be in trouble. (I will leave it to you to figure out what Bololo is!). ANOTHER EDIT... Like bacon butty, it goes very well with HP Brown Sauce, once you get your brain around it... :-lol

It is a slow Sunday morning and on these types of days my mind wanders (as does my surfing habits) far and wide. Today I stumbled across an article on the BBC News web site that got me to pondering. You can read it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/n...ast/6150548.stmI have been visiting the UK for the last 25 years or so, and can't remember ever being served a "Bacon Butty" or having anything that I was eating identified as such. I have seen Onslow on "Keeping Up Appearances" scarf a bunch over the life of the show, but never really ran into one in real life. Okay, so here are the critical questions (all two of them)...1.) Can someone please describe a Bacon Butty in detail and provide a recipe (also in detail)?2.) Can an American make a reasonable simulation (get the connection now???? :-lol ) of a Bacon Butty, recognizing that we have no bacon that reasonably matches that found in the UK?

"Fijian Bololo" ??!You got me there. Google has been no help.Sure you don't mean 'Bovolo'...Italian for snails, I believe.I feel sick :-erksMike

Snails? Yeah, that's close. NOT! :)Keep searching my friend. Start with Bech De Mer. :)

My favourite is a bacon sandwich (Not toasted) with wholemeal bread and sliced hot tomato..................delicious.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hmmm! Tom, I'm not quite sure your offer is really a fair trade.I have found a number of references but, disappointingly, no images of Eunice viridis (Balolo Worm):Voyage under sail to participate in a bizarre curiosity of the South Pacific. Ride with Fijian islanders before dawn, under a full moon, in their open boats to a distant reef. Help them scoop the caviar of the Pacific from the water when it rises to the surface. This is an event that can only be seen in Fiji or Samoa. The balolo is a thin worm, found in the coral reef, considered a culinary delicacy in the islands. The Rising occurs only in the last quarter of the moon in October and November each year. It has never failed to appear on time for over 100 years.Two nights a year, in October and November, the balolo (a small marine worm) rises to the ocean's surface to mate. Villagers go out at sunrise to scoop them up. They soak the worms in fresh water, then cook them overnight in a lovo.LOVOhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162603.jpgThis is the Fijian name for a feast cooked in the earth. The taste is like a barbeque, only a little more smoked, and it

Guest Eek

That's one wicked diet you're on, Tom. I think I'll stick to my boring old T-Bone, baked spud, maybe a side salad with oil & vinegar. Wash it down with a cold beer or six. Breakfast of champions.~EwingKATLMSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz2GB Corsair PC-3200 512x4 Dual Channel CL2.5 DDR DIMM eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3Sound Blaster Audigy LSOCZ Powerstream 420WWinXPPro (SP1)

Brown Sauce is better known in the USA and Canada as HP Steak Sauce.You could use A1 Thick if you can't find any HPAlso, if you live in Canada, UK style bacon can be found in most large grocery stores.As an ex-pat, a Sunday morning bacon sandwich is one of my few pleasures in life......