Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Canada pilots UFO sightings - 2024

18 hours ago, patrice_bambou said:

There is only audio, no images? So the title is a lie? What is the purpose of this thread?

What on Earth are you talking about. The title isn't a lie. The thread is for discussion about this INCIDENT,  the Canadian pilots 2024 sightings. Hence why its entitled "Canada pilots UFO sightings - 2024".

It literally says, on the video, in easy to read white writing... " Audio Only" You didn't have to even click. 

One click on the video reveals to you the nature of the video, you can then engage in a friendly discussion or refrain. 

The purpose of this thread is to debate this incident in 2024. Just as we have previously regarding this same phenomenon.

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, patrice_bambou said:

So do you think aliens coming (at least from Proxima centauris), will even detect and visit us?

If you'd been involved in previous discussion about UFO'S, here, you would know that most of us regard the possibility of extraterrestrial visitation as unlikely. However, myself and others here tend to keep an open mind and enjoy debating the possible explanations for such sightings, both the overwhelmingly more likely terrestrial explanations and the more speculative.

In regard to detecting life from Proxima Centauri, it needs to be remembered that we humans, with our present technology, can actually glean quite a lot of data from bodies even more distant. You do realize that we are actually looking for bio-signatures on far more distant worlds NOW, with our present technology, like the JWST. So if there were a civilization inhabiting Proxima Centauri, with far more advanced technology than we currently possess, then even more data could be gathered, perhaps even the signature of life. 

As for an advanced species getting here in a reasonable time frame, we can consider technological means such as the Alcubierre Warp Drive. Currently, science tells us that such a drive MIGHT be possible IF such a thing as negative energy exists. And of course, there could be other means possible that we humans have yet to discover.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosignature#:~:text=The only way to search,outside of the Solar System.

"There have been no plausible or confirmed biosignature detections outside of the Solar System. Despite this, it is a rapidly growing field of research due to the prospects of the next generation of telescopes. The James Webb Space Telescope, which launched in December 2021, will be a promising next step in the search for biosignatures"

Edited by martin-w

On 2/12/2024 at 8:33 AM, jon b said:

And why have I never seen them from my back garden ? 

I live in dark, rural Devon. There's not much of it left and I've never seen them from my garden but I have seen them in the very early hours, in the Spring, whilst we've been out lamping for rabbits 🙂.

They're an astonishing sight;  strings of lights - reminds me of tube trains after dark. The three or four times we've seen them they've moved northwest to southeast across the night sky.

The first time was truly a offensive initials not allowed!? moment.

Their appearance does correlate with the introduction of starlink , that’s certainly true , I’ve been flying for well over 30 years and it’s only since 2019 I’ve been seeing these things.

May 2019 they launched 60. 

Very high altitude and moving at very high speed between each other,  sometimes stationary ,phasing in and out of view

Phasing in and out could be as Starlink satellites catching the sun.

Do you see a constant light moving at very high speed in relation to each other, so definitely moving at high speed,  or do they phase out in one location and then back in, in another location, as if just different satellites catching the sun in a sequence? If that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I live in dark, rural Devon. There's not much of it left and I've never seen them from my garden but I have seen them in the very early hours, in the Spring, whilst we've been out lamping for rabbits 🙂.

They're an astonishing sight;  strings of lights - reminds me of tube trains after dark. The three or four times we've seen them they've moved northwest to southeast across the night sky.

The first time was truly a offensive initials not allowed!? moment.

Dunno why I've repeated what I posted earlier. Must be loosing my marbles or.....aliens🤪

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Do you see a constant light moving at very high speed in relation to each other, so definitely moving at high speed,  or do they phase out in one location and then back in, in another location, as if just different satellites catching the sun in a sequence? If that makes sense. 

They move between each other.

One example would be a reasonably bright “star” suddenly appearing where there was previously just  black , it will then get extremely bright while remaining stationary. Other similar objects will then appear in close proximity and behave the same and they will start moving around between themselves. In all directions up to down, left to right etc.

I carry a pair of high quality compact binoculars, looking through those you can see there are actually several more of these object darting around in the background that aren’t visible to the naked eye.
One of the more bizarre observations I saw over to the west of Bermuda was one stationary object phase in followed a few seconds later by another object slightly above it , they then set off in formation from left to right at hypersonic speed across the sky.

Something I saw only a few days ago which was interesting but not behaving the same as these objects was routing south over the Middle East. A very bright stationary object appeared above a cloud layer in our 9 o’clock, it  got progressively brighter and then shot along the horizon in a Southerly direction while progressively turning to the west .

As it passed out 11 o’clock it had split into 4 possibly 5 balls of light of constant intensity and speed moving in a formation line astern.

The formation then passed through our 12 o’clock moving extremely fast , seemingly horizontally and then instantaneously disappeared from view. I’d estimate it travelled 50 to 100 nm away from our position.

Geographically speaking it was coming from Iran towards Saudi Arabia and Yemen. There was military activity that evening and the 4/5 balls of light changing direction could be put down to cruise missile activity but it seemed to originate further east from Iran rather than say from a vessel in the Persian Gulf. 
So I’ve no idea what that one was.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

"There have been no plausible or confirmed biosignature detections outside of the Solar System.

Just to mention that there was a report last year of a possible detection of dimethyl sulphide, which is considered to be a biomarker, in the atmosphere of exoplanet K2-18 b, which is 124 light years from Earth. I expect there will be follow up studies in the next JWST Cycle to confirm whether or not DMS is actually present. 

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/09/12/signs-of-life-james-webb-reveals-more-about-exoplanet-k2-18-bs-atmosphere

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Just to mention that there was a report last year of a possible detection of dimethyl sulphide, which is considered to be a biomarker, in the atmosphere of exoplanet K2-18 b, which is 124 light years from Earth. I expect there will be follow up studies in the next JWST Cycle to confirm whether or not DMS is actually present. 

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/09/12/signs-of-life-james-webb-reveals-more-about-exoplanet-k2-18-bs-atmosphere

Only produced by life, on Earth. I guess its possible there's some unknown process at play that creates that signature, that's not associated with life, that we aren't aware of. I think its next spring for the next cycle, will be interesting to see what transpires. 

3 hours ago, jon b said:

They move between each other.

One example would be a reasonably bright “star” suddenly appearing where there was previously just  black , it will then get extremely bright while remaining stationary. Other similar objects will then appear in close proximity and behave the same and they will start moving around between themselves. In all directions up to down, left to right etc.

Well moving around between themselves in that manner certainly doesn't sound like Starlink. 

3 hours ago, jon b said:

One of the more bizarre observations I saw over to the west of Bermuda was one stationary object phase in followed a few seconds later by another object slightly above it , they then set off in formation from left to right at hypersonic speed across the sky.

I presume you'd estimate this to be at very high altitude, possibly in orbit? Much higher than the altitude you were flying at? 

3 hours ago, jon b said:

Something I saw only a few days ago which was interesting but not behaving the same as these objects was routing south over the Middle East. A very bright stationary object appeared above a cloud layer in our 9 o’clock, it  got progressively brighter and then shot along the horizon in a Southerly direction while progressively turning to the west .

As it passed out 11 o’clock it had split into 4 possibly 5 balls of light of constant intensity and speed moving in a formation line astern.

The formation then passed through our 12 o’clock moving extremely fast , seemingly horizontally and then instantaneously disappeared from view. I’d estimate it travelled 50 to 100 nm away from our position.

Now that is very weird. 

13 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Well moving around between themselves in that manner certainly doesn't sound like Starlink. 

No, the only similarity would be with the satellites on set tracks and those tracks crossing each other, but I still cant make that mental model quite fit. 

I presume you'd estimate this to be at very high altitude, possibly in orbit? Much higher than the altitude you were flying at? 

Yes, it's very hard to judge distance and height but they're possibly 100 miles plus away and normally at about 30 degrees incline, although I have seen them nearer the horizon, so they are very high, probably in orbit or well over 1000,000ft 

It's only when you see another aircraft going past at 40,000ft you get an idea of A) their height and distance and B) the extremely high speeds involved.  

Now that is very weird. 

It certainly freaked my FO out. It would be exactly how I would expect a barrage of 4 cruise missiles to look from the air, although having said that I'm not sure missiles would glow like that, but I'm not sure.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

I think its next spring for the next cycle

The Cycle 3 GO Programme selections will be released on the 28th of this month and the observations will start on July 1.

• Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

On 2/12/2024 at 11:24 AM, martin-w said:

We would have to say, most likely explanation. But at the same time we should ask ourselves if satellites can maneuver like that in orbit, very high speed, multiple directions, would seem to be contrary to orbital mechanics. 

The Starlink V2 Mini satellite is believed to have a mass of 800kg and its thrusters produce 170 millinewtons of thrust using 4.2 kilowatts of power with a specific impulse — a measure of efficiency — of 2,500 seconds.

Perhaps the physicists amongst us could say whether or not these specifications could produce the sudden, large changes in speed or direction which have been observed. I would assume they** can't and so the objects are not satellites

**I mean the specifications can't, not the physicists.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

14 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The Starlink V2 Mini satellite is believed to have a mass of 800kg and its thrusters produce 170 millinewtons of thrust using 4.2 kilowatts of power with a specific impulse — a measure of efficiency — of 2,500 seconds.

I remembered, it's F=ma so the acceleration would be 0.0002  m/s/s, so, extremely small and imperceptible, so, any object which noticeably changes its speed or direction definitely isn't a Starlink satellite and probably isn't any kind of satellite.

I found some discussion about the earlier, lighter satellites, which shows their acceleration would be in the same range:

"With an acceleration in the range of the mN and a mass of 260kg the acceleration could be ranging from 3.8•10-6 m/s2 to 3.8•10-4 m/s2 if we consider thrust to be between 1mN and 100mN. With the 1mN thrust it would take 3 days to produce one 1m/s of velocity increase. For the 100mN thrust it would do the same but in less than an hour and after one day it would be able to change about 33.23m/s of speed."

Also, I found this:

"The deorbiting of Starlink satellites is a commonplace task for SpaceX; the Elon Musk-led company has already initiated the disposal of 406 units from the nearly 6,000 satellites launched to date. Among these, 17 are currently non-maneuverable but are expected to naturally decay and eventually burn up in Earth’s atmosphere in the coming years. However, the decision to deorbit a large batch of approximately 100 satellites within a brief amount of time is certainly out of the ordinary."

https://qz.com/spacex-starlink-satellites-orbit-1851253932 

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

26 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

so, any object which noticeably changes its speed or direction definitely isn't a Starlink satellite and probably isn't any kind of satellite.

Yep, satellites orbit at something like 17,000 mph. Nothing is going to rapidly sink, climb and maneuver left and right at the velocity. 

On 2/12/2024 at 2:33 AM, jon b said:

i’d expect their position to change more, if the satellites are maintaining a set track over earth ?

Starlink satellites are all in low earth orbit, so are not geo-stationary. 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator