Sign in to follow this  
JackD

Victoria B.C for FSX!

Just saw that this was up over at 'the other site':FSX Scenery--Victoria Canada Area (vicenh) by Don Grovestine, Jon Patch and Holger Sandmann. One of my favorite sceneries in FS9, and now available for FSX. I'm a happy boy ;)I would imagine it should be in the AVSIM file area soon as well. A two part download, which are both quite large, as can only be expected.I'm downloading now....

Guest jshyluk

This file is supposed to be compatible with Vancouver+ for FSX, so it just keeps getting better and better! As well, there will be an American Pacific Northwest scenery coming shortly by another group that should fit with the Vancouver and Victoria sceneries.One criticism of flight sim pilots is that few tend to journey past the airfields near their real worl home. Considering that all of this new scenery is in my back yard, I wouldn't think that anyone could convince me to sim fly anywhere else!Jeff ShylukAssitant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I think that's a pretty broad generalization, Jeff; I live 50 miles from Toronto and the problem is - one expects certain sights, buildings, roads, and when they're not there it quite spoils the experience. In FS9 we had the great, great work by Flight Ontario - it was "the cats meow", with all the right airports that were all very well done. But it's not there now; it's gone, and FSX is all very wrong for this area.I fly - almost exclusively - from KPAE in Washington, south to SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX and San Diego; and then east to Salt Lake/ Aspen/ Denver/ Phoenix. I do the occasional run up to Vancouver. The Seattle area became my "home" because of all the tweaking that I did getting FSX up to some decent frames, and because I knew the territory from the Flight Scenery's "Portland" along with FlyTampa's KSEA/KSFO and KSAN. It just felt very warm and familiar, and I just never left....:-)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Is this compatible with CYYJ 2007 bt Don Grovestine?I would assume it is since he is one of the authors of this Victoria scenery.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I'm sure it is Ron, just as the FS9 version, these two sceneries work directly together. Don (who is responsible for Victoria Intl) is one of the authors on this scenery.....great stuff....time to get the Beaver or the Scout Amphibian dusted off ;)

Guest etheberge

Woohoo! Can't wait to get home to try it.One of the main reasons I'm not flying FSX as much as I'd like is the lack of good pacific northwest/alaska scenery.Until Tongass, Misty and Glacier Bay are updated, this one and Vancouver+ together will do fine.Thanks again for the heads-up.-Erik T.

Guest etheberge

Do you have any details on that new soon to be released scenery you mentioned?Perhaps a website?I'd definitely be interested.-Erik T.

I would imagine it will be posted here on AVSIM within the next day or two, if not tomorrow.

Having just been there in August for a few days I look greatly forward to this too (and I saw the world's biggest hockey stick and Udder guy's ice cream-stayed at the Swan in Victoria).

Great package!A warm thanks to Don Grovestine, Jon Patch and Holger Sandmann.:-beerchug

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Unbelievable package....I'm stunned. For this to be freeware is simply amazing.When you see what this team has done to not only Victoria, but basically the whole San Juan Island area....it is simply incredible.This is the kind of 'stuff' that may make me consider removing FS9 once and for all, and as this is the type of products we are going to be seeing in the future from these folks, and others, the future is bright indeed.

I now have VicPlus at the top of my library with Edwards AFB,Longleat?,Berlin,Istanbul,Reno etc right under it.Is this correct?Where did they come from?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Ron, you can lower this if you wish, just make sure you have Victoria above Ultimate Terrain layers if you have them.In the scenery manual is a good graphical description of how things should be layered.