Sign in to follow this  
rutrA

SU15 BETA available now!

5 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

I'm going to have to defer to the experts, I'm afraid. I may be mistaken, so best to wait for an answer on the official forums.

Ahh, cool, thanks Matt 👍.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

52 minutes ago, turbomax said:

due to better thread optimisation

Hold on, was multi-threading optimization in the cards for SU15? I only know of memory use optimizations and glass cockpit avionics optimizations using the Coherent/Javascript tech stack (unless you mean thread optimizations around the latter, I don't recall the details).

I know general multi-thread optimizations are planned for MSFS 2024 as Seb says here at the FSExpo presentation: https://youtu.be/VPhScg_FINE?t=718 (i.e. FDE/physics engine and CFD calculations, etc). That along with their push for thinner clients and off-loading more computing to the server-side is going to improve performance overall even more, and that's important to handle the increased/complex visual fidelity and physics coming in 2024.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

I know general multi-thread optimizations are planned for MSFS 2024

I thought this was an ongoing process, you may be right though.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

10 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Hold on, was multi-threading optimization in the cards for SU15?

I don't think so. IIRC improved multithreading was introduced in SU10 w/ DX12 and has (hopefully) continued to improve gradually since then. 

The only flaw I've found so far in SU15 is the reapperance of the infamous DX12 broken ground textures. Which could be related to memory improvements, as was the case with SU10, if my memory is correct. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Allright, so transplanting the new ground handling to the RV-14 did not work at all. In fact the aircraft was all over the place on takeoff and landing. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Allright, so transplanting the new ground handling to the RV-14 did not work at all. In fact the aircraft was all over the place on takeoff and landing. 

Ya definitely sounds like it needs different values for those parameters than what the C172 uses. Hopefully after MS/Asobo update the SDK docs the aircraft devs can get to work on tuning these parameters for their birds.

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

11 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Ya definitely sounds like it needs different values for those parameters than what the C172 uses. Hopefully after MS/Asobo update the SDK docs the aircraft devs can get to work on tuning these parameters for their birds.

Having tested some more it could have very well been pilot error on the first try, as subsequent attempts seemed fine. However I think I'll stop experimenting with this for now and wait until release / 3rd party updates. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dutch727 said:

The most interesting improvement for me in the SU15 beta is the ground handling.  I'm hoping takeoff behavior is improved.  

Behavior before SU15:  As soon as the tail comes up the airplane makes an abrupt turn into the wind and starts heading for the grass.  Only immediate strong rudder would keep me on the runway, but then it would veer in the opposite direction.  Although I could find a spot on the rudder to keep it on the runway it was extremely hard to prevent crazy zigzagging until I could lift off.  True for both aircraft.  This is after much practice and adjusting rudder sensitivity. 

After SU15:  As soon as the tail comes up the plane starts turning into the wind but no longer is it so fast or abrupt.  I can apply much less rudder to keep near the centerline.  It's now possible on the B18 and the DC3 to keep reasonably straight on the runway with a crosswind.  It's not easy, but it shouldn't be.  Previously, it was all I could do veering back and forth to keep it on the pavement.  The difference is very noticeable for me.

I'm interested in other's experiences. 

Hoo, boy do I hope this can end up fixing BlackBird Sims F4U Corsair!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I had a couple of dodgy transplants too!   The COWS DA-42 did not take well to the transplanted lines - the nose was actually zig zagging left and right a little (not the nosewheel which was going straight; the actual nose), like some very large bearings had broken 😄

I put this down to this line / value:-

ground_new_contact_model_gear_flex = 0.005

....rather than just affecting up/down flex / movement on the nosewheel, I believe this value effects 360 degree movement around the nosewheel fixture to the plane.  So great care has to be taken with this value, or it will appear that the nosewheel is attached to the fuselage using nothing but a large rubber band! 😄

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

5 minutes ago, JYW said:

nosewheel is attached to the fuselage using nothing but a large rubber band! 😄

Lol! I reset all the aircraft to default after reading this 😄

• Like 1

I've been busy with family matters for couple weeks. Finally back to flying. In the new beta, fps is up enormously. Not just on long flights or heavy scenery stutters when panning the outside view. All the time.

I use a "standard" flight for testing fly out of default JFK towards Manhatten skyscrapers in Textron steam gauge 172. Low in dense scenery getting 95 to 108 fps (using Frame Generation). When exiting JFK over the terminal buildings was 78 fps. This is about a 1/3 increase in fps. Panning in outside view is completely smooth. Obviously in cockpit view also.

Using the Ultra global rendering preset , 200 both LODs, and Quality DLSS. 1440p on one monitor only.

But I'm one guy doing one test (so far). Could be anecdotal. But the best performance ever for me, and really fun.

• Like 5

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, turbomax said:

...how can it be smoother than smooth and more constant than constant frame times?...

Well friend, in my view, we still need better optimisation to help people who have less powerful machines, and future headroom for development, so the boundaries should always be pushed. 
Just wait until they introduce ray tracing (a chance for MSFS2024) - we will re-inspect our frame times then!  :laugh:

I do agree though.  We need better multi-threading to free up the main thread.  At 4k ultra, my 4080 is showing 40% utilisation in general, but my 14900k is bouncing off the top between 90-100% utilisation on two threads.  The others cores are only utilised to about 25%.

I have hyperthreading off in the BIOS, as I get no more performance with it on, but just more heat.  In my view, MSFS doesn't need any more than 8 cores / threads at the moment. 
Concentration needs to be on unloading the main thread more - Asobo see this, and from the twitch session a while ago, that is precisely what they are looking at.   

• Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks, I'm going to go now and turn hyperthreading off. I have a 3DX cpu which doesn't run cool.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.