Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Got my 1st "Out of Memory CTD". Why?

Took a short flight from KABE to La Guardia, NYC. the other day. Just before landing, I experienced an Out of Memory CTD. I thought these were a problem of the past, and solved with updates by Microsoft. What would cause that and what can I check? My computer specs are below on my signature.Thanks.

Arrrg. I'm getting OOM CTD now too. I am running fsx/accel in dx9 mode on Vista and have applied the Vista patches. Is it still necessary to do something to the fsx exe? I had a memory monitor running one time and it still was showing 62% free so I don't think it is a system memory problem. Is there any way to track down what is causing the problem? It has happened with different aircraft. Is there any prayer that MS will ever do another fix for fsx? (I know Phil Taylor has said no, but maybe he will throw their MS Project Gantt charts out the window and listen to customers)Don

Guest Nils79

>Is it still necessary to do something to the fsx exe?No, XPack has the /largeadressaware flag already set.Did you increased the userva (bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072)? Did you really installed the right updates: http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html?It's also important to use the newer Nvidia drivers (163.x) and the latest DirectX runtime.Does it happen at any location?

>>Is it still necessary to do something to the fsx exe?>>No, XPack has the /largeadressaware flag already set.>Did you increased the userva (bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA>3072)? >Did you really installed the right updates:>http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html?>It's also important to use the newer Nvidia drivers (163.x)>and the latest DirectX runtime.>Does it happen at any location?Thanks for the reply Nils. I have done all but the userva thing. This is beginning to remind me of running under msdos with all the himem stuff and everything. I _only_ have 2G of mem so I don't think that the userva would have helped. I'm starting to think it is Active Sky X that is causing FSX to crash. I've run all day today without ASX and have had no crashes.I really wish MS would do a stability patch for FSX. No new features, just bug fixes. FSX was rushed out the door last year and Acceleration was rushed out the door this year and we are left with a house of cards. Don

As Phil has reported many times, the UserVA thing has nothing to do with your physical memory, and everything to do with OOM's. UserVA= user virtual address space. I'd suggest reading Phil's blog for more info on this.Setting the UserVA amount will give you nearly a gigabyte of more address space for Vista to use and could definitely help with your OOM.This is not a bug. In an attempt to allow maximum flexibility, FSX allows you to set your sliders such that in certain situations, it can write more objects to memory than there is memory available. Try adjusting your sliders lower, like water 2.hi to 2.lo or something like that. The only real fix is for ACES to rewrite FS and go to a 64 bit address system. If they don't, OOM's will likely only become more common.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg