Sign in to follow this  
Illegitimi non carborundum

No one can figure out how to...

Guest Mr_E

No one can figure out how to...Get Microsoft flight simulator X working on a brand-new:Dell XPS 720 RED, Vista Premium, Core2 Extreme QX6700 F-OC' Quad Core, 4GB Corsair Dominator F-OC' 1066MHz, Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX, 500GB Seagate 7200 SATA, Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, 2 Samsung 21"ers and a 24" Wide.It ran fine on the old Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Quad core Q6600, Dual NVIDIA 8600 GTS 'All running Windows XP", but won't run at all on a Vista.(Very poor jerky picture)(fatal errors)(your computer has run out of available memory)(blue screen of death)I installed KB#933590 (for Vista and multiple monitors) "at least the software will start now".This Microsoft product will still not run on this Microsoft operating system at all, even at the "lowest resolution" and all "minimal" graphical settings, one monitor and full SLI.Even on the old Pentium 4 it ran fine on ultrahigh settings.Installed and reinstalled many times, started with a brand-new computer fresh with no other software, installed service pack one, no third-party software, other programs work fine on the new computer:(Flight Sim 2004, BIOShock, World in Conflict, Myst URU online).also installed KB 936710, KB 940105, KB 932246, KB 935280.After waiting a week for Microsoft technicians to call back, all they did was fiddle with some AA settings, quality sliders, and tried taking jets off from different airport gates. Then they gave up!(What a shameful waste of time that was)It's been four weeks now and we have posted on over a half a dozen Web forms: avsim.comflightsim.comsimradar.comnvidia forums.comDell forums.comMcAfee forums.comcomputer forum.com,Enlisted the help from the computer technicians at: Micro$oft, Dell, Circuit City, CompUSA, the Geek Squad, and no one could help at all.We have also gone to the effort of getting another copy of windows XP and spent the last three days setting it up to dual boot with Windows system on this machine.MS FS X demo version installs and works fine, but now when we try to install the full version and the installation fails with the error:Error 1335, the cabinet file 'D2 Feet~ 1.cab required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the cd ROM, or a problem with this package.Yes, the CD is clean.Yes, the software installed properly the last nine times on four different computers.Yes, all of the temporary files have been deleted.Yes, all antivirus software has been disabled.Yes all firewalls have been turned off.Isn't there anyone out there that knows enough about computers that could help?

Guest fsxmissionguy

Switch video cards, then re-report (put your 8600 back in, assuming you still have it.)The 8800GTX is a common denominator of folks who have reported all types of trouble (this is my personal view).

Guest n99wb

Isn't there anyone out there that knows enough about computers that could help?<

Try installing a different DVD drive unit, had this with installing windows Small Business Server, on HP servers, with similar error messages.Borrow a drive out of one of you other machines.Worth a try.John

Guest n99wb

Also, try copying the DVD's to a directory on your hard drive and run the install from there.

I think that the solution is to find someone who has a computer that works well with FS X.Then simply model that system. I'm looking for all the right parts too.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest Jimbofly

This may be a leap of logic but I'd be willing to bet that somewhere, somehow, there's a hardware fault in that machine. Try replacing each component and test.If all that fails then somehow that machine, for reasons I cannot understand, is not compatible with FSX (although by all accounts should be).James

Mr EI would run a check to see if the windows installer is working correctly (there have been a lot of issues in VISTA) and check that your NET framework 2, 3, 3.5 are not corruptThis was a solution from Davegogo on http://flyawaysimulation.com/posts22174-15.html1. Copy all of the FSX DVD contents to your local hard drive. 2. Make sure to remain open both two folders DVD drive and copied local drive folder on your desktop. (Open DVD not-click on DVD drive to run setup) 3. Launch copied setup.exe from local hard drive. 4. When you get Error 1335, go back to your desktop and overwrite copy D2Fxxxx.cab file to your existing in your local hard drive. "I found this difficult to understand"Another poster suggested updating the DVD drivers??Another poster ROGER COOK suggested: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258496 Look at Roger Cook's post on the flyawaysimualtion site as above he solved the issue using Method 3 from kb 258496 and his theory is: Error 1335 occurs because all the little files that make up FSX come off the DVD faster than the PC can write them to the hard drive, so you get Error 1335. When I installed it last year, my PC was so full of rubbish and back-ground programs that it was running slow and so the data was coming off the DVD slower and everything was OKHope this helps just a little.Peter Hayes