Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Who is censoring FSX performance comment?

>As JohnCi says this is a private forum which costs users>nothing and which is run by amateurs (in the original and best>sense). They don't have to explain how they run the forum and>can chose what's published on it. The latter is not>censorship.Be that what it may, if anyone is in the position of being able to choose what is and more importantly what is not posted, that is censorship, in all definitions of the term...Sorry, but this is not something for discussion, this is fact...When running a private forum, of course you do not have to explain any actions to anyone. Hey, it's your forum, your call...But, if you give individuals the opportunity to register and post in that forum, common courtesy must prevail. Just simply locking, moving, deleting posts will always attract negative responses, like flies to a cow's backside... Fora are venues of active discussion. Simply blocking out the voices you don't want to hear can be considered childish...Isn't that what rules are for? "Post removed for breaching forum regulations"...Sorry, but my two cents...Andrew

Tom has already dealt with most of your points so I'll only deal with what you call censorship.Any publisher has the right to decide what he will publish - whether he publishes a newspaper, books, or even an internet forum. It's the publisher's right to reject contributions and is not censorship.Is it censorship if your local newspaper doesn't publish your letter? If it is, then it would have to publish every letter regardless of its worth. In reality, censorship is when you are prevented from expressing your views completely and are subject to sanctions if you try. Censorship is imposed by authority, usually the state but churches have also been involved. I'm sure you can other find places that will publish your views. If not, you can always set up your own site without expecting the secret police to come knocking at your door at midnight.There's enough real censorship in the world without applying it lightly to, what is after all, a trivial matter.

I'm glad they are locking them. It's gotten to the point where folks are beating the proverbial dead horse. Someone makes a post regarding FSX performance and whether they have good or bad performance it ends up turning into an FSX bashing. As far as the censorship issue; well as far as I know Tom A is the primary owner of this site which is provided to us for free so as I see it he can do whatever he likes with it. Craig

>I'm sorry that you and some others took the view that I am>bashing Avsim and/or FSX.>LOL. You are sorry for the view that we have?? RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest LAX5x5

>Be that what it may, if anyone is in the position of being>able to choose what is and more importantly what is not>posted, that is censorship, in all definitions of the term...>>Sorry, but this is not something for discussion, this is>fact...>>When running a private forum, of course you do not have to>explain any actions to anyone. Hey, it's your forum, your>call...>>But, if you give individuals the opportunity to register and>post in that forum, common courtesy must prevail. Just simply>locking, moving, deleting posts will always attract negative>responses, like flies to a cow's backside... >>Fora are venues of active discussion. Simply blocking out the>voices you don't want to hear can be considered childish...>>Isn't that what rules are for? "Post removed for breaching>forum regulations"...>>Sorry, but my two cents...>>AndrewOkay, humor me here. I'm going to play the devil's advocate. Let's say I'm a performance artist and to portray man's inhumanity towards man, one of my pieces involves me committing an act of murder on a subject who actually consented to being killed, all in the name of art. Now shouldn't I be covered by my First Amendment Rights ("The right of free speech in the US Constitution, which historically protects media messages from regulation and censorship.") to freely perform my "artistic piece" without fear of being arrested by the authorities and criminally prosecuted? After all, I am just expressing myself as an "artist", and to arrest and convict me would be a form of censorship. I had only artistic motives when I performed this heinous act. Actually, what you may deem a heinous act, I call "my art". Isn't it fact that I am being censored by the authorities if they stop me from killing in the name of art? To block my voice as an artist just because some people may be offended by my artistic endeavour would just be childish, right? Just don't attend my performance if you have such an aversion towards my art. You're an adult, just choose not to watch if you're so offended, but don't censor me.Tell me, Andrew, when should rules, law, morality, and common sense supercede one's freedom to express oneself? And please don't say freedom of speech should've ended before I had a chance to post something so rediculous as this :) .-ElyBTW, for those of you who don't think murder can be art, the most common subject matter of art found in Christian homes is *******' crucifiction.

Guest Binncott

I think there are a h*ll of a lot of you needing to climb down off your high horses and chill out.I asked why that topic had been locked, as it contained a link to a performance comparison test carried out by a software review site.What followed apart from some of the usual childish drivel was an interesting discussion on the topic. There was no personal abuse, that I could see, and I found it strange to return to the topic the next day and find it locked.I only asked why, but from what has been posted here, many of you want all FSX adverse comments banned/deleted/removed and the poster hung, drawn and quartered.Democracy in action, don't you just love it.BC

Guest LAX5x5

>I think there are a h*ll of a lot of you needing to climb>down off your high horses and chill out.>>>BCStop trying to censor us!-Ely

Guest Binncott

>>I think there are a h*ll of a lot of you needing to climb>>down off your high horses and chill out.>>>>>>BC>>>Stop trying to censor us!>>>-Ely>Oh dearie meBC

Ely, What part don't you understand about this being a PRIVATLEY OWNED and FINANCED Website? Tom Allensworth owns it wholly or in part and since it's inception it has become what I think is the Premier flightsim website. By locking a thread it does three things: 1) It preserves bandwidth which is not free contrary to what you might think. 2) When a thread goes on ad infinitum with either FSX bashing or FSX praising there comes a time to stop it. 3) It stops folks like you from posting what you condemn... worthless drivel. I have never seen anywhere on this site any indication where Democratic principles are the main purpose for its being. We're lucky to have it for FREE. Craig

Guest Binncott

That's just a d*mn shame. Now you've gone and insulted poor Ely, when obviously it was me you were aiming at.Tutt Tutt, do try and get things right it does help us all to get along so much better.BC

Guest LAX5x5

>> Ely,>> What part don't you understand about this being a PRIVATLEY>OWNED > and FINANCED Website?>> Tom Allensworth owns it wholly or in part and since it's>inception> it has become what I think is the Premier flightsim website.>> By locking a thread it does three things:>> 1) It preserves bandwidth which is not free contrary to what>you > might think.>> 2) When a thread goes on ad infinitum with either FSX bashing>or> FSX praising there comes a time to stop it.>> 3) It stops folks like you from posting what you condemn...>worthless> drivel.>> I have never seen anywhere on this site any indication where>Democratic> principles are the main purpose for its being. We're lucky>to have it> for FREE.>> CraigI couldn't agree more, Craig. I've done nothing but mind my P's and Q's in all of the forums here on Avsim since I've registered and have noticed that respect goes farther than disdain when it comes to posting on public forums. Oh, and without a doubt, I am truly grateful for everything Tom Allensworth has provided for the flight sim community, especially considering it comes free of charge to us users. The point I was trying to convey to Andrew whith my rediculous post, and I did admit it was rediculous if you read the last line before I signed, is that, yes, the defintion of censorship is clear. Censorship is, "Deleting parts of publications or correspondence or theatrical performances." But, the act of censorship or what may be perceived as censorship, is subjective. What one person may view as a blatant, baseless act of censorship can be seen by another as a way to shield oneself and others from avoidable harm and danger or something in which inevitably nothing good can come out of. The reasoning for the over-the-top absurdity of it all was to drive home the fact that there should be guidelines in what people can do under the guise of free speech and freedom of expression.Craig, I am not the average crazy forum ranter, believe me. Check all my previous post if you want. If I've offended you in anyway, I'm sorry. I was just trying to show that there is a point where free speech and freedom of expression collides with higher law. And as for the "Stop trying to censor us!" comment directed to you, Bittcomm, I just wanted to see how you would feel if someone accused you of censorship. That, I am not sorry for. -Ely

Guest LAX5x5

>Your wrong again. You give yourself more credit than is due.>>Craig>>> Now we can agree.>> CraigAlright, let's put this behind us.-Ely

What I would realy like to know is anyone having problems with FSX loading properly and coming up when you select it from your desktop icon? I am havin one H _ _ _ of a time getting the game to work properly. FFT-119