Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

PMDG's "not-yet-announced" project

I haven't seen any evidence of it being a 717 except an overlooked string in an xml file which lead to that speculation.

I can't see PMDG doing a 717 when they know simmers are wanting a 757, 767 and 787. Any one of these would bring more profit than a 717 i think. Didn't RR say during one of his interviews that they were talking to another developer? Wasn't it about the 787?

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

6 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

As a few others are saying, and as you can probably guess from me, the B727, a classic and iconic Boeing airliner would be the best outcome. I mean, we have the B737, we will have the B777 and the B747. But if their new project is from the B757/767/787 stable, then they have just added more twin engine airliners with little difference other than MTOW and range. In contrast, a B727 adds three engines, some better aesthetics than todays' wind tunnel lookalikes and adds a classic to their jet age airliner fleet with an enviable history. Terrorism, African 'cargo' runs, bank robbers, hijacking, and the infamous Lolita Express, popular with cargo and charter airlines, oil spill response, zero gravity flights, Trump Force One  to name a few. Oh and for over a decade, more 727s were built per year for the airlines than any other jet airliner according to Wiki.  I know a lot folks won't feel the same way, but then, they have probably never experienced a sporty take-off in a B727 or the use of its unique high lift devices and 40 degree flaps to land on rwys as short as 4500ft. 

My dad said that of all the 'liners he flew the 727 was his all time favorite. And being a former USN Aviator, he knew how to have some "fun" with it 😉

I have the extremely immersive FJS 727 from X-Plane - it's a GREAT addon. Hope to see someone do the 727 justice in MSFS asap.

Edited by UrgentSiesta
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

I can't see PMDG doing a 717 when they know simmers are wanting a 757, 767 and 787. Any one of these would bring more profit than a 717 i think. Didn't RR say during one of his interviews that they were talking to another developer? Wasn't it about the 787?

I wonder if they talked to Quality-wings about taking the assets. 

4 hours ago, james42 said:

I would really like to see a larger bizjet done by PMDG. Maybe something mid 2000s like a Challenger 300 or Gulfstream G200. I think they would sit nicely within their product catalogue. Other than that, I would love to see a 747 classic series. Add in the virtual flight engineer from the DC6 and that would be something special.

Gulfstream is "uncooperative" when it comes to flight sim. There are a couple out there for X-Plane that have pseudonyms, but I feel like Robert's too much a stickler to go the route of a "gray market" addon.

Since PMDG is a real growing business I kind of doubt its a 717.  They will stick to stuff that they know will sell well.  No disrespect to the 717 and would like study level version of it in my MSFS but again I doubt PMDG will take it on.  I can certainly see a smaller developer taking it on though! 

Now if they take on the complete DC-9 series including the MD-80's, 90's and 717 that changes the game a lot.  I am kind of surprised Leonardo has not decided to take those projects on but if he has not than somebody else will.  

I am sticking with another Boeing.  We have a huge hole in MSFS right now without a 727.  The freeware development out there is spotty at best.  In a lesser degree I could see it being a 757/767 and a 787.  Still rumors out there that PMDG brought on some of the Quality Wings developers and purchased the project from them. 

I think the 737 Classics (300,400,500) have been forgotten in MSFS land as well.  So that is a possibility but 737 fatigue as mentioned by RR is a real thing.  Someone else will likely take those on and sell a ton of them but it might be a better business move for PMDG to do something else.  I think it will be a Boeing its just anyone's guess what it will be!

If it's an airliner, it will 99% NOT be the 717, because while it's called a "Boeing" it's technically a McDonnell-Douglas MD80-variant. They'd have to learn and rebuild systems from scratch for this different framework of a different manufacture. Can't see that coming when there's like 4 or 5 popular Boeing airliners left to do (on which they can use their framework).
I've said it in another place and I'll say it again: The 787 is very likely, because they could use much of the 777 framework for that (the 787 is systems-wise very close to the 777) and also use the touchscreen PFD/ND code of their 737 MAX.
Personally I'd much rather have a 757 or 767.

Edited by Fiorentoni

British Aerospace Jetstream 41. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Has to be the one that started it all, and whose derivatives are still in service - the venerable 707!

No EFB, no FMS, a kneepad for options and an astrodome for navigation - bliss 🙂

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

If it's an airliner, it will 99% NOT be the 717, because while it's called a "Boeing" it's technically a Lockheed-Martin MD80-variant. They'd have to learn and rebuild systems from scratch for this different framework of a different manufacture. Can't see that coming when there's like 4 or 5 popular Boeing airliners left to do (on which they can use their framework).
I've said it in another place and I'll say it again: The 787 is very likely, because they could use much of the 777 framework for that (the 787 is systems-wise very close to the 777) and also use the touchscreen PFD/ND code of their 737 MAX.
Personally I'd much rather have a 757 or 767.

McDonnell Douglas you mean not Lockheed 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

54 minutes ago, Ilari Kousa said:

The MAX doesn't have touchscreens, and neither does the 787.

Not in real life, no, but in-game they do (at least that's the case with the WT 787 and was the case with the QW 787, so most likely PMDG will do the same, because simulating the real-airplane's cursor control would be too cumbersome in-game).

4 minutes ago, micstatic said:

McDonnell Douglas you mean not Lockheed 

Of course, stupid me. Fixed that, thank you 🙂

• Like 1