Sign in to follow this  
Steve Halpern

"Ground Environment X" Released

I'm Downloading but now I see I need 2.6 GB and 512 video card!I am running 2.4 and 256 video card with 1.5 gb ram.Guess I have to wait,eh?Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Actually, it uses the same CPU's as FSX... So actually you would be safe. But to get more of what we "advertise" in the pics, you would need more power.It is essentially no risk anyway because we have our 30 day return policy.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Well.....I finally got everything installed, and defragged, etc.....and this is a major improvement, but I expected nothing less.I was even able to go into UT and add the minor urban roads, as this allows them to blend in so much better, as the 'cartoonish' autogen is basically gone. In addition, it seems that 'distant undefined' looking landscape has also been dealt with pretty well, the overall blending and texture is much more complex and defined. The seasonal textures are also much more subtle. Just more more realistic overall.Yea, I also have some highrise buildings where they may not belong, but as I have various landclass installed, the landclass that does get rid of them, also creates a much more rural texture which was not realistic either, so I went back to the more urban friendly version. This may need some tweaking, but overall just a great job here.Very nice indeed.

Guest jase439

FWIW, this was one of my best purchases for FS2K4. I have every confidence that the FSX release won't miss its target.Part of my initial hesitation to upgrade to FSX (apart from my comparitively "slower" 3.2Ghz system) was that GE + FS Genesis mesh and landclass made FS2004 look so unbelievably good I didn't see FSX as having enough of a compelling story based on its high-resolution terrain. 'Course now all these products are even better than their successors, so how could I not upgrade ;-)I'm just about to give FE a go for the first time now.

I sure don't see as many posts of screenshots as I though I'd see, let alone replies here or over at Simforum. One thing is for certain, that team put out wonderful textures, so I have to wonder if FSX is not moving that well in the add-on department. Sure a good number of folks claim to be happy as a lark with FSX, but I sure don't get the impression that the number is near what it was or is for FS9. It seems to me people really are waiting a while to even worry about messing with FSX. I know I won't play until the hardware seems to keep up and the overall opinion is great, which I don't think FSX has a good one right now. I wish the team and all FSX add-on developers luck though, and I'll be there to support them as soon as I feel confident that FSX is up to the task, if ever.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Thanks for sharing.....but FSX and the quality add-ons available is close to kicking FS9 off my computer soon. There just isn't any reason to peddle water, or go backwards any more.Fact is, FS9 just cannot come close to the quality FSX and the third-party developers have provided recently, and GEX just widened the gap even further ;)

Some user screens would be nice to see to get an actual "user" perspective on GEX. I'm sure they will begin to show up soon... patience is the word. :)

Ken

Finally FSX can move out of "Cartoon-world".

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest DC-9

To me, FS9 still beats FSX. There's so much more for addons, and the performance is night and day difference. Even with the latest hardware, FS9 still outperforms with ease. I'm not sinking any money into addons for FSX, let alone, for more hardware.

Sold!And it's my birthday today and I have the day off. :-beerchug Yeah baby!

Mthat is because FS2004 was not such a big change from FS2002 ?FS2004 actually ran smoother on my system then FS2002 at the time it came out. I considered FS2004 more like a patched up FS2002 then a complete new FS.FSX is a much bigger change : higher textures, more autogen, animals, weather engine, missions and so on ... .I am under the impression we will see the same when FS11 comes out : a much improved engine from the one used in FS10 today, but no real changes in the actual features.At the moment however, I am enjoying FSX very much. But I must be one of the few on this forum having no major problems.just my 2 cents. Jan

FSX is an emerging marketplace, where FS9 was wider adopted after this point in the sales cycle.Where a product would spike fast in FS9, there sales curve is more flat in FSX, but a bit more steady... This means that for sure FSX has users "stuck" in a way. Then need hefty hardware primarily. And has the hefty hardware becomes the norm, FSX adoption will proceed forward.Vista has also likely been a problem. I do not think some users want to switch because they are so comfortable with XP.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software