Sign in to follow this  
mobeans10

Cool Abandoned Airfield in Berlin

7 hours ago, meerkat said:

It's a bit of a sad thing that Germany still so often is associated with World War 2.

This airfield did not exist in WW2, as it was built 1958. Also the correct wiki article is not about Kummersdorf, but this one:
Sperenberg Airfield - Wikipedia

The correct context is, that this was a Cold War era Sovjet airfield. There are many more of these in the area of the previous DDR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

In that case,  these people find you 'disturbing';

By failing to read the last word in the post, NOT!, you appear to have shot yourself in the foot.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

So wrong war and the synthetic outrage was all in vain? Lol.

Oh, it wasn't in vain. Lots of people got off on the chance to butt each other's heads in, which is, after all, the whole point of this forum. At least you'd think that some days. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

So wrong war and the synthetic outrage was all in vain? Lol.

I didn't read any outrage, that's your word.

The original observation was 

It's a bit of a sad thing that Germany still so often is associated with World War 2.

which was a reply to this:

Simulate night bombing raids over Berlin, Hamburg, Leipzig and Dresden and low level passes over the Mona and Eda Dams to add a bit of spice (just remembered that I haven't searched out Colditz Castle yet).

which cannot be anything else than a gratuitous and direct reference to World War Two.

Nothing at all to do with outrage, the airport or indeed your need to ridicule at any opportunity.

17 minutes ago, Reader said:

I didn't read any outrage, that's your word.

The original observation was 

which was a reply to this:

which cannot be anything else than a gratuitous and direct reference to World War Two.

Nothing at all to do with outrage, the airport or indeed your need to ridicule at any opportunity.

I understand your urge to be holier than thou “at any opportunity” therefore I implore you to read this post 

Here is one of similar nature in Quebec, Canada, The Casey emergency airstrip.  Coordinates 47.93616°N 74.09182°W.  This one is still used for fly-ins and camping. To get there on MSFS. take off from CYPP and fly 21 NM straight east. 90 degrees True or 104 degrees magnetic.  CSU5 is closer but the whole airport is covered with a building and you plane will be sitting on the roof.

Casey Emergency Airstrip - Wikipedia

John C.

Edited by johncott
  • Upvote 1

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

47 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I understand your urge to be holier than thou “at any opportunity” therefore I implore you to read this post 

Thanks, all done.

13 hours ago, meerkat said:

It's a bit of a sad thing that Germany still so often is associated with World War 2. For me, it sounds quite disturbing that one could have fun bombing cities where hundreds of thousand people died. Don't get me wrong - Fascist Germany got what it deserved then, but after all, they still were humans.

EDIT: I just saw some posts above the context to WW2 - so don't take my post too harsh.

13 hours ago, Reader said:

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

7 hours ago, Farlis said:

Yeah, sure.

Because that's certainly my first thought when I fly over England. Simulating bombing runs on London and Conventry....

NOT!

I can't speak (entirely) for the other guy, but I find it very interesting to re-fly historical military missions, especially in an unprecedentedly realistic sim like MSFS.

Generally, low level missions are the most interesting to me, since they are the most challenging to fly (especially if you're navigating Old School pilotage).

AFAIK it's not at all about fantasizing about death and destruction, it's about being able to visualize & better understand what happened, and how it somewhat must have been for all the young men of all sides who flew those missions all over the world.

When I've done it, and looked down at a(ny) city from a bombardiers perspective, it genuinely fills me with sadness to think of the horrors experienced by those below. All the more so considering the nearly singular failure of strategic bombing of civilian population centers to hasten the end of wars.

• Upvote 3

On 2/25/2024 at 12:23 AM, mobeans10 said:

Co-ordinates are 52.14053N, 13.30582E , halfway between EDAZ ( Schonhagen Airport ) and the KLF VOR. Take off from RW 07 at EDAZ and head 130 degs for about a minute. The airfield even has a control tower buried in the trees. A fairly long runway, I put the 787 down there after i had some controllability issues after taking off from Berlin Brandenberg.  From the air it looked like a good spot to land. Doesn't show up on the inflight microsoft map but you can find it on google. Took me most of today to find it again.  Fairly long runway and the taxi experience is surreal through the trees.

Thanks for letting us know. These places are like easter eggs in MSFS - very interesting.👍

• Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Anyone interested in getting a scenery mod for that location with a few parkings and maybe a helipad?

• Like 1

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

9 hours ago, EDDB2020 said:

Anyone interested in getting a scenery mod for that location with a few parkings and maybe a helipad?

Nah. The fun of these places is that you HAVE to discover them and can't start from there.

• Like 1