Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3Dv5.3 with EA - how to remove colour cast?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, kmax59 said:

Glad you are happy with the results @Ray Proudfoot 🙂 

About ASCA integration, may be this is not really clear in the app but it's mainly a feature of Envtex that allows Envdir to inject Envtex sky textures and cloud textures into ASCA, so if you don't own Envtex this feature is disabled automatically as it has no access to the required data. That being said, ASCA actually works with EA for clouds if you don't use the volumetric ones 😉 

Any chance that the Env series of products will be made compatible with V6?


I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

there is an effect actually. The reduction of haze works looking up as well as down. Skies are bluer! 👍 No need for any further adjustment.

Clearly visible in my screenshots earlier.

No, Ray, ASCA sky textures will have no effect if EA is enabled.

Your skies are bluer because you're using the ENVPLUS shaders and you reduced the atmospheric haze.

BTW, the first screenshot you posted is more realistic.  I've flown a lot both commercial and military (was in the Air Force 5 years) and there is almost always haze in the atmosphere.  The ground in your second screenshot is rarely this clear in real life.

I prefer realism.

Dave


Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have to disagree Dave. It all depends on the part of the world you fly. P3D is overdone by a huge amount. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2024 at 9:57 PM, Beardyman said:

I do not have such entry and Reshade works perfectly, is it really needed?

Are you sure we're taking about the same application ?

e.g. https://reshade.me/

Because reshade has always needed UIHardwareAcceleration=False ever since LM implemented hardware acceleration for the UI, without that entry the UI was unusable in combo with reshade essentually.

In fact LM put the entry in place specifically to override the hardware acceleration due to the problems it caused.

What version of P3D ? (I've both 4.5 and 5.3).

Cheers


Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dave2013 said:

No, Ray, ASCA sky textures will have no effect if EA is enabled.

Your skies are bluer because you're using the ENVPLUS shaders and you reduced the atmospheric haze.

I’m not using ASCA sky textures. I thought I made that clear. 😉

That was my point about bluer skies. Less haze because of EnvPlus.

8 hours ago, dave2013 said:

BTW, the first screenshot you posted is more realistic.  I've flown a lot both commercial and military (was in the Air Force 5 years) and there is almost always haze in the atmosphere.  The ground in your second screenshot is rarely this clear in real life.

I prefer realism.

Not to me it isn’t. And many others have commented on the excessive blue. Each to their own.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Talking of sliders they’ve disappeared with EnvPlus. Adjusting cockpit black level is now done by entering a numeric value rather than adjusting a slider. I find the cockpit brightness is below that before adding EnvPlus despite setting it to 0.01. Why?

Are you changing the "Aircraft Shadows Depth" value?  Have you tried a value of 0.50, which corresponds to the slider being all the way to the left before Envplus?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@kmax59, thanks Maxime. Makes sense. What I have done is to choose a different cloud theme - Armageddon in ASCA. The clouds definitely look better than those using default ASCA settings. Subjective of course. I don’t have volumetric clouds enabled.

Do you and other developers learn all this from detective work or did LM release info in an SDK.

I do find it odd there are no options to reduce blue. Pity there aren’t individual sliders for RBG so users can adjust the three primary colours to their liking.

Talking of sliders they’ve disappeared with EnvPlus. 

 

I had to learn all these from detective work, unfortunately there is no SDK for shaders 😕

You can re-enable the sliders by ticking the envplus switch but you'll have much less control (including EA haze). Also you can set the overall tint of the simulator using the HDR tint value (lower is more sepia, higher means more green/blueish tint).

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I find the cockpit brightness is below that before adding EnvPlus despite setting it to 0.01. Why?

Do you mean the cockpit brightness is lower now with Envplus?

Edited by kmax59
  • Like 1

Maxime
TOGA projects

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Afterburner said:

Are you changing the "Aircraft Shadows Depth" value?  Have you tried a value of 0.50, which corresponds to the slider being all the way to the left before Envplus?

Just tried it now. Same as earlier. The Lear25 cockpit is the darkest I have. These screenshots are with the slider at min (0.5) and max (1.5). There is a difference but the VC is still pretty dark. Entering a value lower than 0.5 with EnvPlus enabled would suggest no change. Agreed?

Here's the Min setting.

ASD_Min.jpg

And the Max setting.

ASD_Max.jpg


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kmax59 said:

Also you can set the overall tint of the simulator using the HDR tint value (lower is more sepia, higher means more green/blueish tint).

The default is 1. I took a screenshot at 8000ft in spot plane view and another with HDR at 0.5. Comparing the two there's not a great deal of difference but the greens are slightly stronger with 1. I'll stick to 1.

1 hour ago, kmax59 said:

Do you mean the cockpit brightness is lower now with Envplus?

It's subjective as I don't have any screenshots before installing EnvPlus. Any differences are minimal so I'm not concerned. The benefits of EnvPlus make buying it a good decision.

My only observation is that with sliders you knew the min and max settings. With just a numeric value I don't know what the min and max settings are. I'm guessing a value lower than 0.5 for Aircraft Shadows Depth won't do anything.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just tried it now. Same as earlier. The Lear25 cockpit is the darkest I have. These screenshots are with the slider at min (0.5) and max (1.5). There is a difference but the VC is still pretty dark. Entering a value lower than 0.5 with EnvPlus enabled would suggest no change. Agreed?

What are your brightness settings in P3D?  I remember that the user manual of Envshade/Envplus recommends a setting of 1.3 (if you have auto exposure off, which I assume is unchecked on your system). Some users have noted a little low brightness on some screens you posted on the first page, so I assume that you have set it to less than that. With 1.3, you might achieve the optimal brightness outside and in the cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post

@Afterburner, it was 0.88 so I’ve increased it to 1.10. I’m aware it makes everything brighter but that includes clouds and if it’s too high they white out. I was using those as the guide but now based it on a ground shot of my aircraft.

Let’s see how that goes. The recommended settings were for EA Off if I remember correctly.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

There are so many variables that come into play when trying to determine what looks best.

Before even applying any shader tweaks, you have the monitor color, contrast, and brightness settings, any display settings applied by the video card, the HDR and saturation settings in the sim, and any weather addons that can change the visibility.

I wonder if Active Sky's visibility changes are being taken into account?  Do they change with the weather conditions and altitude?

Dave


Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Afterburner said:

With 1.3, you might achieve the optimal brightness outside and in the cockpit.

If that’s your setting I’d be interested in seeing a screenshot of the view above an overcast layer with the sun shining on the clouds.

Can you see definition in the clouds or are they whited out? I adjust brightness to cope with the brightest object which is the top of clouds.

If the terrain seems darker than others that’s why.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Rogen said:

Are you sure we're taking about the same application ?

e.g. https://reshade.me/

Because reshade has always needed UIHardwareAcceleration=False ever since LM implemented hardware acceleration for the UI, without that entry the UI was unusable in combo with reshade essentually.

In fact LM put the entry in place specifically to override the hardware acceleration due to the problems it caused.

What version of P3D ? (I've both 4.5 and 5.3).

Cheers

Yes, we are talking about Reshade, and yes i have UIHardware option set to 'True'.

Reshade works normally for already loong time, i had no idea even about suggestion to change from 'True' to 'False'.

Could you explain what that change cause?

My sim - P3D 5.4

Edited by Beardyman

Artur 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Beardyman said:

Yes, we are talking about Reshade, and yes i have UIHardware option set to 'True'.

Reshade works normally for already loong time, i had no idea even about suggestion to change from 'True' to 'False'.

Could you explain what that change cause?

My sim - P3D 5.4

Well... The P3D UI corrupts to the point of unusablity.

As in the UI's for selection of senario, vehicle, airport etc. are injected with reshade which made them unusable

Perhaps there is a corelation between the use of scaleform vs. html ?

 

https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/#ReleaseNotes

In v4.4 LM performed the below

  • Updated render mode for UI windows to be hardware accelerated.

And in v4.5 HF1 LM added an option to disable due to many complaints.

  • Added configuration option to toggle UI hardware acceleration mode (UIHardwareAcceleration).

I haven't gone through the later release notes to see if there were any further changes though but you can via the link if desired.

Cheers


Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...