Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Looking for a file in the FSX setup.....?

I've been looking for the file that gets changed every time an addon is installed to FSX.I believe it's called DLL.XML only all my searches come up blank.Anyone help please?

That's what i did, only in Vista, the search brings no results!

Hi Phil,are you sure you're looking for the DLL.XML? That file is responsible for letting FSX know where specific add-on .DLL modules reside, like some of the SDK tools, FSUIPC, and AFX/Instant Scenery. As far as I know it doesn't exists in FSX out of the box and it certainly isn't changed "every time an add-on is installed". That would be the scenery.cfg file, which sits in one of the roaming folders; whatever the equivalent to "C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSX" is in VISTA.Cheers, Holger

Guest tmilton

>That's what i did, only in Vista, the search brings no>results!I also have that same problem with Vista. Searches sometimes do not locate a certain file, even though I know that particular file is there.I wonder is this has something to do with Vista's indexing search service? Even though I specify to locate system files, the search comes up empty.

Try hitting the "Use Search Assistant", that brings up the old search window like in XP. And that will find the file.Alternately, if you tell Desktop Search to "search in unindexed locations" that will also get it.

Also... try using Win XP... I hear it actually works right first time, every time. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It is the file i'm (still) looking for. There's a 'sticky' relating to it down below in the PMDG forum called DLL.XML problems in FSX. I'd post a link but the Avsim site seems to 'frame based' and not show page addresses?I've asked numerous time 'down there' if there's a fix yet for this, but haven't had a response.

If you have Vista and based on how you installed FSX the dll.xml could be in several different locations. Regardless, these folders are hidden folders and if you don't do a proper search you will never find it or open it.Most here have already covered the bases on a proper search including Phil. However if you select the advance search box and then enter dll.xml that is not enough information. You must change the default location from the indexed locations to the local drive you installed FSX on. Now you must also place a checkmark in the box that says include non-indexed. hidden and system files.Once the search engine has found your hidden folder the file resides in right click the mouse and open file location. This will by default expose the hidden folder and the file.If all else fails then go to folder options and check the circle to show hidden files and folders. Now expand the folder that says Desktop. Look in the folder path C:UsersAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXThe AppData folder in the Desktop path is a new hidden folder that Vista uses. This is normally where FSX placed the dll.xml that you are looking for if you installed FSX with all default user settings.If by chance you are looking for the scenery.cfg file there are 4 total (after SP2). The one that FSX changes when updating the Library is also located in a hidden folder which is (in Vista) now named C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX folder.