Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

FSX On XP-64

Has anyone tried running FSX on windows XP-64? With all of the problems people are having running FSX on vista as well as running vista for basic home use.I'm running FS9 on XP and it's smooth as glass.I've had FSX for several months and would like to switch to a 64 bit system but not on vista.Any input would appreciatedAlex

For your information, I got FSX running on Vista x64 just fine, no problems at all. And the DX10 preview is, IMHO, worth it.Also have a look at the benchmarking thread in the HW forum, it appears that with all the patches installed, FSX actually runs better under Vista 64bit then under XP.I would never go to XP 64 bit, because of the bad drivers. There are hardly any good hardware drivers out for XP 64bit. This is completely different from the situation with Vista, because the OS is so new, the drivers are of the same quality for 32bit as for 64bit. Also more people are running Vista x64, certainly compared with the few running XP x64, so support is much better.I repeat, if you are afraid of Vista because of the bad support and drivers, certainly do NOT touch XP 64bit.If you want to change your OS, Vista is the future anyway.Janedit : also have a look at the number of people having trouble with Acceleration (this means they have problems with service pack 2 for FSX). My impression is that most are running Windows XP SP2. I could be wrong, it is just the impression I have.

Just another thing, the same what I already said in another thread.If you have FSX running fine under XP, then there is no reason to switch to Vista. You can spent the money better on other things, like GEX and/or FEX. From all the reports I have been reading, there is no advantage for FSX when going 64 bit. FSX is a 32bit program, and does not benefit of the 64bit OS. Of course you could have other reasons to go 64bit, but FSX is not one of them.On the other hand, if you are buying a new system, there is no need to be afraid of Vista (again, this is my opinion. Others may not agree).Jan