Sign in to follow this  
timest

DX10 preview or DX9?

Are the majority of simmers who have the capability of using DX10 Preview (because they have a compatible video card) using DX10 constantly, or are there still reasons to use DX9? I have my 8800GT only a few days now, and I really like DX10. Seeing some quirks like flashes on some runways that are not present in DX9, but overall, it's OK. What are those of you who have the CHOICE doing?

DX10 here.Only reasons at the moment I would go DX9 is : - incompatible add on planes (bright white textures)- 3rd party AI traffic (same reason as above, although there is a patch for one of the traffic add-ons, I believe my traffic)Pro's : - HDR lights : no performance loss as with DX9 bloom- waves- moving cockpit shadowsJan

Don't you have to be on Vista to use DX10?I'm one of many ( I would think ) simmers who have an 8000 series card, but are still on Windows XP.

Bert

Guest ronht

Probably a bit of both. I have 2 8800 GTX running in SLI and I find that I spend most of my time in DX9 due to textures of many of my add-ons (which I have a lot of) not working correctly with DX10.I see little to no difference in frame-rates and I don't use light bloom because it appears to blow out the highlights way too much for my liking. Generally if I'm doing something around water or on floats I use DX10 mode because of the water effects, otherwise it's DX9.I'm running a very stable FSX with Acceleration, FEX, GEX, and UTX in DX9 mode the majority of the time with great frame-rates and am as satisfied as I've ever been with FSX overall. Ron

Yes...I did notice TODAY that my Carenado Cherokee was all white in texture while using the DX10 preview. Guess I'll stay with DX9 until the addons catch up.

I'm running DX9 here. I can can run DX10 but I take a performance hit and graphically I can't get it to look anywhere near what the visuals are I get with DX9. Sure I can turn on bloom and turn up the water a notch but what good is that when the FSX world under DX10 is a shimmering mess (which is what I get on my system).

Same for me. Bad performance hit with DX10. I was expecting an improvement. Hopefully new drivers will eventually sort the problem.DX9 is pretty good.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I don't have a perfomance hit with DX10, but the bleed through on the taxiways and runways looked horrible. Cockpit shadows are nice, but not worth dealing with the shimmering textures.ROb

I really like the DX10 preview but too many issues with some of my addon aircraft, and I'm having shimmering issues still with the nvid drivers.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com