Sign in to follow this  
quantumleap

Do GEX and UTX add to each other?

I have Ultimate Terrain X and like the features it brings. What would GEX add to it? If I get GEX is it negating some of the features of UTX? If you had only one of them, which would it be?

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

One is UTX, primary in my opinionSecondly, GEX actually enhances what you get from UTX but not directly. They are supplied by the same supplier so if there is to be any compatibility, co-laborating...this cant beet it. GEX has two items I find need fixing: airport tiles, and power line cleared forest lanes, are sand colored, and clash with the nice colored tiles adjancent to them. Golf courses dont match perfectly, although it is close, it is a color mismatch... al

They work great together, and do completely different things. GEX is simply new ground textures, which I am becoming very accustomed to, and would recommend highly.The only thing UTX does in relationship between the two is provides landclass which 'tells' the GEX textures where to go.Since installing GEX, I have studied and tried various landclass packages, and have pretty much settled on Cloud9's, even using it as my default over UT's in the USA. IMO, Cloud9's landclass and GEX work really well together. But....I moved the Cloud9 seasonal.bgl out of the base folder, created a seperate one, but decided not to activate it.Some of the 'color mismatches' mentioned above are landclass issues, not really GEX issues. IMO, using Cloud9's lanclass without the seasonal.bgl helps things significantly.

GEX needs some work to make it work better with FSX and UTX, UTX needs some updates as well for GEX.Right now , GEX has left out some textures for mountians and the fall ground textures dont blend with airports or UTX road encasements and interchanges.In the areas I fly, GEX mountains look the same as stock FSX. UTX added interchange grass colors to match stock FSX, so now they do not match GEX colors in fall. So you end up with GEX textures for most of a city but then the airport, encasements and interchanges stand out like sore thumbs as someone put it.Allen with UT is great on offering suggestions and updates. The GEX developers have indicated fixes are coming too. So in time they may work better together. I am a bit surprised GEX was released missing the mountain textures that are in many gallery shots on GEX's web site, and that no release comments were made about issues with UTX.Stock FSX SP2 Acceleration is very enjoyable and it puts you on the same field as everyone in multiplayer games. I'm still not convinced addons in FSX are worth the extra issues they create, but its early. I have a 'addons' Vista install and a stock XP install so its easy enough change as needed.

Just curious if you also have FSG landclass.I had Cloud 9 first but then got Justin's after it came out because I always have enjoyed his work.Now I use fsg for US and Cloud 9 for the rest of world.Don't really know if there is a significant difference.Interested in your opinion if you have both.I think I'll go back to Cloud for awhile and see if I notice any diff.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Again, you are talking about landclass issues, not issues with GEX textures.That said, it does seem that the GEX folks are willing to try and resolve some issues with the various landclass options available. That will be a tough task, as I've seem some pretty clear differences between the default, UT, FS Genesis, and Cloud9's landclass products.But I applaud them for attempting it.

>Just curious if you also have FSG landclass.I had Cloud 9>first but then got Justin's after it came out because I always>have enjoyed his work.Now I use fsg for US and Cloud 9 for the>rest of world.Don't really know if there is a significant>difference.Interested in your opinion if you have both.I think>I'll go back to Cloud for awhile and see if I notice any>diff.RonI like Clopud9's landclass over FS Genesis....and I too used FS Genesis landclass since FS9, but for FSX, I think it has some 'issues'.

Thanks for that info.Ron

Tried Scenery Tech?I don't have any of their LC.Ron

Yep, have Scenery Tech too ;) In fact, was using Scenery Tech's over FS Genesis, and 'sandwiching' it with UT'S.....but overall, I like Cloud9's after an extensive testing of all of them within areas I am familiar with.The nice thing about FSX is that you can slew up to an altitude, and switch back and forth within FSX and see the results 'immediately' without rebooting via the Scenery Library. You could not do that with earlier versions of FS.I would encourage you to do the same, but slew to various locations and see which one you think works best, then stick with it. From the various areas for Canada I looked at, I settled on 'sandwiching' the Cloud9 landclass between the UT urban and UT vegetation.I got more landclass products than I know what to do with :D ....and in reality the best is when designed for specific areas, as in Holger's work as example.

Thanks.I just went to the scenery library and rearranged.I just realized when I did it that I hadn't sandwiched the Canada LC. Going to try it now.I agree.It used to be a real pain to restart everytime you made a change.Ron

UT/X and GE-X are supplied by different authors. UT/X is done by Allen Kriesman of Scenery Solutions, and GE-X is done by Anthony VOS.GE-X does not do airport tiles. The Power line, golf, and other specialized textures like that come from UT/X. See this thread for Allen's response http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23603Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>GE-X does not do airport tiles. The Power line, golf, and>other specialized textures like that come from UT/X.Just to clear up one minor point, UTX does not provide vector information for power lines.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg