Sign in to follow this  
Guest CMGDS

Wing Handles??

Guest airbus2

Hello all,After watching some real life flight videos, I noticed that some planes, especially 737s and A320s had what looked like yellow handles on the top of the wings. The ones on the A320s look bigger, does anybody know what these are for?Thanks,David

Guest Bob I

Hi David,Yellow in the aviation business is for safety equipment. So my guess is it's for securing the escape slide or a raft.Very old A&P guy.Regards,Bob.... in sunny Florida

Are you talking about the yellow coming from the over-the-wing emergency exits?

This is just my best guess, but they may be hoist loops (to lift the plane for maintenance/inspections, probably)

Do you have any better pictures of it. I see the thing in the middle but it kinda looks like a small label.I don't think it would be a hoist because airplanes are usually jacked up not hoisted up.

>Do you have any better pictures of it. I see the thing in the>middle but it kinda looks like a small label.He means these:http://www1.airliners.net/open.file/1143893/L/Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest CRJ700FO

>Hi David,>>Yellow in the aviation business is for safety equipment. So my>guess is it's for securing the escape slide or a raft.you win the prize. you are correct.they are for securing a safety rope if the cabin is on fire on the ground (or something else requiring an evac). tie the rope, use it to slide off the wing.

Guest airbus2

Thanks for the replies.Ive been on lots of A320s and I've always wanted to know what they are for, thanks again.Dave

Guest CMGDS

These handles are there to tie cables to help passengers walk on the wing in case of emergency. The next time you board a plane, take the time to read the safety card. They should have the information you are looking for. I saw it the last time I flew on a CRJ.

In an emergency who has the time to go out and tie a rope on the wing to help people get off the wing.

Actually he may be right now that I think about it... I thought I read somewhere that they were anchor points for the escape ramps. I honestly don't know though. I will have to stop an A&P at work tomorrow and ask.

Yeah... I just confirmed (in addition to the picture above) with an A&P Tech that they are for tying down the escape ramps. He did jokingly admit that he does not imagine anyone would take time to tie it down in a real emergency.

Guest CMGDS

I agree that it seems unlikely that a passenger would take time to attach a cable there. Nevertheless, the flight attendants are trained for the emergencies and above all not to panic if it happens just like we are trained to fly the plane when the engine fails. It's amazing how much time one can fly a Cessna 172 when the engine fails at 3000 feet!