Sign in to follow this  
Alpinekid

Lights look like Balloons using Matrox TripleHead2Go

Hi everyoneDoes anyone know how to scale down the lights within FSX so that all lights including runways .. taxiways .. etc etc stop looking like huge balloons??? ....It's obviously to do with the fact that the TripleHead2Go is stretching FSX over the three screens which causes this horrible effect .. and I was just wondering if anyone has found the solution ..CheersPaulUK

Download aht5.zip from the AVSIM library. It contains alternative halo.bmp textures and info on how to scale runway lights. While originally for FS2004 it works in FSX. Choose a replacement halo.bmp from the small folder and paste it into your FSX/texture folder. You might want to save the original halo.bmpfile first. Then paste the light scaler text into your fsx.cfg DISPLAY section. You can adjust the scalar values as desired. The following values worked for me.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.4 //scales edge,center,end,touchdown,runwaysRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.4 //scales VASI lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.4 //scales approach light barsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.4 //scales RAILs and ODALs)Good luck. Bruce

And if you haven't already, try setting WideViewAspect=true in your FSX.CFG file. It's in there already, but defaults to false.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest United

Yes, yes, yes! Very nice. Been looking/waiting for this answer for a few months. Is there a similar scalar value for taxiway lights?Randy Jura, KPDX

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.4 //scales edge,center,end,touchdown,runways. This line should also take care of taxiway lights. At least it seemed to in my installation. Does anyone know how to reduce the size of the AI aircraft landing lights?

RandyApparently the scalar approach doesn't affect the taxiway lights. The smaller HALO.bmp files included in the previously mentioned aht5 file will improve the taxiway lights. I installed the first one in the small folder that doesn't have a halo. After installing the halo.bmp file use the scalar line values to tweak the other light types. I am still looking for a fix for the AI aircraft landing lights which are still way too large and bright.

Guest United

Thanks for the cool tips!Randy Jura, KPDX

Thank you very much for that Bruce .. a great tip and it looks like others are benefitting from it too ... Well done Buddy :-)The only problem I seem to have now is that my taxiway (Blue) lights are still pretty large ... Looks like others are also having this problem too ...Any ideas on sorting this one out ... also when I look at the lights on the tail and wings of the aircraft they still look like balloons!Once again ... superb thanks Bruce Paul