Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

Akrotech Giles-202 project

Guest Shalomar

I absolutely love the way the 202 flies and lands compared to the Extra. However, the Extra has a much better model and VC.Could I get a step by step layman's explanation as to how to get a default Extra to fly, land and taxi like the Akrotech Giles-202?Thanx in advance... :-beerchugDonald TFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest drdon

Hi Shalomar,I did the flight dynamics for the Giles-202 with a program called AirWrench. This program costs a little but is well worth the price. It can be had at a place called mudpond.org. AirWrench can alter the aircraft.cfg and Extra300S.air file to change the flight dynamics. My suggestion is to backup these two files from the Extra in a safe place and then start using AirWrench on the Extra files in its aircraft folder to get the performance you want. Study the aircraft.cfg file carefully for plane dimensions, weights, areas, engine power etc. because these are what AirWrench uses to calculate stuff for the Extra300S.air file. Start with the current Extra files and experiment. It may take a lot of trial and error to get what you want. AirWrench has an annoying property (annoying to me any way) of overwriting some things that you might not want to change. Sometimes this is important but for other times it does not make any difference.If you are unable to make the Extra perform the way that you like, you can always go back to the original aircraft.cfg and Extra300S.air files.By the way, are your flying the Giles-202 in FSX? If so you may want an FSX repair file called "fixtrans.zip" from this site. You can fix canopy transparency issues for the Giles-202 and make other appearance improvements. Remember that the Giles-202 is a homebuilt and not a high performance aerobatic plane.Good luck and good flying,Don Halcom

Guest Shalomar

Thanx for your reply. I have the transparency fix already; will give Airwrench a try. BTW, a real world pilot I met on Multiplayer and recomended the 202 to said it was the best flying aerobatic plane he has downloaded yet.Best Regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

.. and remember, too that most all aeroplanes fly differently - for e.g. the Extra 230L flies differently to the 230S because of the vertical placement of the wing: the Pitts Yak is different from the Edge. All these are different from the old Zlin 526 - at one time the top world aerobatic aircraft. The Sukhoi 26 is not the same as the 31. And the Giles is yet another bird. No two aieroplanes have identical characteristics.It is the hardest thing to find "the ideal aerobatic aircraft" and I think modifying the air file, or the cfg file to make it the "same" as another aircraft is (imo) pointless. Find one that you're comfortable with, then fly it until you know it backwards, forwards and inside out. Only then will you get the best out of it. Vertical four-point rolls: horizontal eight-point rolls, cuban eights in a box over a runway: hammerheads; three-turn spins coming out on the original headings. This is the purpose of an aerobatic aircraft, and they will all do this - some better, some not so good. But changing the characteristics to make it fly like another aircraft? - you may as well get the other aircraft!http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Ryzg/418/http://www.iac.org/2 cents. :-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest drdon

Hi,I agree with Paul J ---------- except a simulator just ain't the real thing and is just fantasy flying. One should fly their own fantasy and not some one elses. Good flying to all and their fantasy's. Just my dumb opinion. Playing around with the flight dynamics will also teach you just how difficult all of this stuff is to simulate and instill a greater appreciation for the difficulty. You might just learn something in the process.drdon

True enough, and I do remember one of the Boeing team's pilots doing a full 360 deg aileron roll in a 707......:-)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.