Sign in to follow this  
ccaughie

Will FS11

Guest mz-cd

I have been following the FS11 "wish list" and agree with most if not all of the comments,however, at some time in the future I have to think about upgrading my system so!What is a good guess for when FS11 will be available? 3,4,5 years???Will FS11 be DX10 ONLY?Is it worth upgrading in 12/18 months time [for FSX which I run on DX9]only to find that 18 months after that FX11 comes out and it is DX10 only?I have read that it is not worthwhile upgrading at the moment to take advantage of DX10,so I have to sit tight for the moment,but I will have to make a decision at some point.My system runs FSX ok but I really could do with a more powerful CPU,BUT if I do that it would probably mean changing the motherboard, then why not the graphics card etc etc.Not to mention of course what the hardware manufacturers may or may not have produced by the time FS11 is released.Personally I think it very unlikely that we will get everything asked for in the wish list,well ok but its the core elements that worry me and what it is going to take to run them,and run them well enough to have a sim that doesn't need endless tweaking.[although I must say that at the moment I am running with NO tweaks at all and it ain't too bad,but not perfect by any means]I am sure that there are many simmers in a similar situation so what do you think guys,what course of action would YOU recommend???I don't mind spending money on my hobby but I have to spend it wisely [as it is FSX has cost me about

I wouldn't bother upgrading now with a view to getting a PC that can run FS11. If history is anything to go by ACES will be targeting the hardware that will be available when FS11 comes out (as they should IMO), which presumably will be a good deal more capable than anything you can buy today, or even 12-18 months before it is released.I'd say now is probably a pretty good time to upgrade to something that can run FSX on the other hand. Or as good as any; the trouble with upgrading a PC is that there's never a good time to do it, the next big thing is always just around the corner...As for FS11 being DX10 only, I'd put my money on it. Why wouldn't it be?Colin

There is no answer to any of this. Do whatever you have to do to run FSX now. Then, wait for at least six months (I'd personally wait at least a year) after the release of FS11 and do it all over again. Such is the never-ending cycle.I didn't upgrade anything for FSX and have no intention of doing so. Whether an upgrade is worth it for FS11 is something that can't be answered until well after the release date. After the experience with FSX I'll no longer schedule my upgrades to coincide with MSFS releases as it looks like it will just cause endless frustration to do so. There are other much more important reasons for me to upgrade hardware for a multitude of other uses.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I can't even play FSX smoothly on my machine (look at the sig). I'm going to upgrade probably in the next 6 months or more. I bet FS11 will be fully DX10 compatible. It'll be the standard by then. I bet it will be released in 2-4 years, since they've already begun working on it.PS, I'm 13 :).

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Welcome Boeing Guy,I would rccomend upgrading your PC with 1GB of RAM, you will be AMAZED at the difference and you can get 1GB of DDR RAM for around $50-60 these days (DDR is the older format of RAM and judging by your PC specs, I think it's what your PC uses but you can check). I would guess FS11 won't be released until at least June, 2009.

I'd guess Oct 09 for FS11 release. :) Of course no one (even Microsoft) knows when it will be.Since it will be 2 years from now, this is the time to upgrade for FSX, in my opinion. And then later, about a year after FS11 is released, upgrade for FS11. Doug makes a good point on that and his method is about what I do, too.I have never upgraded upon release of a new FS. It just never works.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Welcome Boeing Guy,>I would rccomend upgrading your PC with 1GB of RAM, you will>be AMAZED at the difference and you can get 1GB of DDR RAM for>around $50-60 these days (DDR is the older format of RAM and>judging by your PC specs, I think it's what your PC uses but>you can check). I would guess FS11 won't be released until at>least June, 2009.Thanks Bell417, my PC uses RDRAM, made by Rambus, it's the only RAM my mobo supports. I'm planning to upgrade to these specs in the near future (6+ months):Gigabyte Intel P35c-DS3 mobo;Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz 12 MB L2 cache, which is a Penryn available in January 2008;One 512 MB eVGA 8800 GT KO;4 GB DDR2-1066 RAM;250 GB Hard drive SATA2 RAID enabled.Thanks again for the tips!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Hm, I think Boeing guy should really get a completely new PC. I am in the same situation (5 year old Athlon 1.3 GHz, ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB, 160 GB HD almost full), and upgrading RAM from 0.5 to 1 GB surely gave me some speedup for everyday's work to prevent caching, but FSX doesn't run much better. The whole system is simply too old - lacking graphics memory, slow AGP 4x, slow memory, and most important, slow, single core CPU. It just spoils my FSX experience (you know, looking at some pictures in the screenshot forum and getting jealous ;-) ).Don't wait for FS11, go get a DualCore 3 GHz machine with 2 GB RAM and a 500 GB HD and a graphics card with at least 512 MB - it should be available for ~ 1500 $. I'll do so before xmas.Cheers

Good idea to just start from scratch and get everything new. My wife also has an older machine that uses Rambus. There is nothing to be gained by trying to upgrade that RAM. The cost wil FAR outweigh any possible benefit.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest mz-cd

Thanks for your replies guys.I think the thing to do at the moment is nothing.As FSX [i fear I am repeating myself]runs so so for me I think I will hold fire for the time being.However in reply to Boeingguys remarks I will say that in his case I think a completely new setup is in order.When I bought some extra stuff for my system to run FSX it consisted of 2gb of RAM [making 3gb in total 2x1gb sticks and 2x512mb sticks] and a dual core CPU.I have a friend who helps me build my own systems so I don't have to buy a complete system ready made,and this helps a lot to keep costs down. It actually is not all that difficult.ASUS A8N-E MotherboardAthlon 64 4200 Dual Core [overclocked 10%]Ati RX800 TD256E PCI Graphics card.3GB RAMRegardsRichard.

Oh gosh, you are right. We probably should have another thread about it, especially since no more development is being done on it and the attention of ACES has moved to FS11.Yes, sir, that is certainly a dead horse we should continue beating.

Guest mz-cd

Thinking about FS11 now may well help some people avoid the calamaties that have befallen many over FSX.As I have said I need to upgrade my system but,you can bet your bottom dollar that if I upgrade for FSX then I will be going through the same trauma with FS11.I appreciate that upgrading is never ending but there has to be limit somewhere as to what we are supposed to do to be able to run a product satisfactorily.Personnaly I think I was mislead over FSX.To produce a game that had no chance of being run properly on anyones system was,well I'm not sure what words to use.SO in order to try and avoid this again I think pressure should be brought to bear on the developers to come clean over what they are going to do for FS11. And don't tell me they don't know. That way we stand a small chance of being able to plan and budget accordingly.I wonder how many thousands of dollars have been spent trying to get FSX to run decently.How many of use would spend $30000 on a car and then find that another huge sum has to be spent to run it properly. It just would not happen.So why should should it happen to the flight sim community???Am I ranting!!!!Anyway suffice to say roll on FS11 and lets hope we have a better deal.Is FS11 going to be VISTA only???RegardsRichard

>Is FS11 going to be VISTA only???Well if it's DirectX 10 only that would kind of follow wouldn't it, since DirectX 10 is Vista only. I guess ACES are going to have to look closely at the adoption rate of Vista. If 50% of users are still running XP at the time of release, they may opt to keep that compatibility mode in.As for the rants about FSX, it runs just fine on my two year old... yawn... zzzzzzzzzzzzColin