Sign in to follow this  
Guest steviejo

Hey.....who turned out the lights ?????!

Guest steviejo

I've loaded up FSX and Acceleration and updated the drivers (to November 2007) for the NVidia GeForce 8400M GT card in my Sony Vaio notebook (Vista). Tried a first (daytime) test flight with "DX10 Preview" ticked. Yeah, OK - not bad, not bad at all. Certainly something different about the graphics. For the second test flight, I forgot to change the time and ended up flying at night, with........hey, no nav lights ! Yes....they're switched on - just cant see'em in spot or tower view. And this is when I'm flying the default Baron or Bell 206 ! In spot view I can see the red or green coloured light reflected off the fuselage side, or wing tips but I cant see the actual lights. No strobes, no flashing anti-collision beacon on the tail. Can I see landing lights from head-on when I put the Baron wheels down - yes. Hmmmm......strange. No other add-on software loaded at the moment apart from the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche, Carenado Skylane (which just shows white under DX10) and Alphasim Hudson.Untick the "DX10 Preview" box and everything at night shows up fine again. I've read about others flying sometimes with DX10 then sometimes with DX9, and that there might be some issues with Vista but I wouldnt have expected the default FSX aircraft to behave in this way with Acceleration. Maybe its the graphics drivers, but I cant do any better than the latest from the Sony Vaio update site. Any ideas anyone. I'm a bit in the dark, here.Thanks Steviejo

Guest Jozef_K

Dito! From the outside view I see only a light on the far wing. Just installed Accelerator on a clean FSX (with SP1). No matter from which side you look, it's always the wing "on the other side" which has a light.(NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS)Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

There are issues with the DX10 Preview - and the MS default aircraft show the issues the same as many other addons.The DX10 Preview has to be viewed as a work in progress - and the next update will be FS11.

Guest Jozef_K

Thank you, Reggie Fields. I'll switch it off and see if there is any difference regarding the lights.I wonder what the DX10 Preview does. I did not notice anything spectacular in the scenery. The manual doesn't explain it either.Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Guest ziporama

There is a post in the nvidia forum on this, and it may be fixed in the beta driver. Has to do with viewing angle. I don't know if it's a video issue or just a bug in FSX Acceleration (read SP2).If it's a video card driver issue with Nvidia, which sounds entirely plausible given the track record, I suppose a kind ATI armchair pilot with a DX10 compatible cards should be able to verify real quick.Etienne

Some people were expecting DX10 to be a magic bullet ... oops!

>There is a post in the nvidia forum on this, and it may be>fixed in the beta driver. Has to do with viewing angle. I>don't know if it's a video issue or just a bug in FSX>Acceleration (read SP2).>>If it's a video card driver issue with Nvidia, which sounds>entirely plausible given the track record, I suppose a kind>ATI armchair pilot with a DX10 compatible cards should be able>to verify real quick.Brand spanking new ATI 2400 Pro DX10.1 video card here......no problems with lights in either DX9 or DX10 Preview modes.Also, no "flashing runway/taxiway textures" either! :-jumpy

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"...no problems with lights in either DX9 or DX10 Preview modes."Just to clarify my understanding of SP2, I gather from your post that with the DX 10 Preview box unchecked FSX reverts to using the DX 9.0c API in spite of the presence of Vista and a DX 10 capable card?Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest fsxmissionguy

Some people were also expecting their video drivers to work.I've noticed a LOT of complaints, especially about the Nvidia drivers, and especially about their 8800 card set - not just wrt FSX, but also Vista issues.Quickest way for a game developer to get a bad reputation is for the video drivers to not display correctly. Not sure if I could sleep at night knowing my entire future was in someone else's hands.

Guest ziporama

Has anyone seen any progress or additional discussion elsewhere on this topic? It seems very quiet to me for a problem this big, unless only four of us have it :)

>"...no problems with lights in either DX9 or DX10 Preview>modes.">>Just to clarify my understanding of SP2, I gather from your>post that with the DX 10 Preview box unchecked FSX reverts to>using the DX 9.0c API in spite of the presence of Vista and a>DX 10 capable card?>>Mike.That is precisely correct. In fact, something very few people seem to realize is that......Vista itself runs in DX9 mode! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator