Sign in to follow this  
Guest bluesky21

Assigning a key to disconnecting the autopilot

I have assigned a button to map to the "Z" key, so I can disconnect the autopilot. Unfortunately, if I push this button twice, the autopilot is connected again. For the gear switch, there are separate up and down commands - is anyone aware if there are separate connect and disconnect commands for the AP?

Bert

To avoid accidently re-activating such a crucial item, I assign multiple key strokes to it, I use CTR_Shift-AIn that way, I have to think and place three fingers correctly before. It can be a pain re-activating your AP when you dont want to.Also, it is unlikely that you would push three buttons twice.....Other items, less crucial, like "look forward", I use a single shortcut key. It is also one that I want to access quickly.That, and engines off, are crucialallen

I'm not aware of seperate on and off commands for the auot pilot. There is one command AP_Master which is the AP Master ON/OFF switch and it will act as a toggle on/off.There are seperate commands for turning on and off the various AP functions such as heading or altitude. I'm not really sure if they are accessible from within FSX itself but they are assignable through FSUIPC.FSUIPC will give you the greatest functionailty at programming buttons/controls and can send commands directly to FSX with out the need to emulate a keystroke. However, you will need to purchase a registered version to get these functions.

Guest Doods

All you have to do is hit CTRL+V it turns auto pilot on or off.....

On my install, CTRL-V turns off NAV hold or HDG hold, but leaves ALT hold on. I've not changed these assignments from the default, as best I know.

Bert

Hi Bert,If you have FSUIPC registered version you can set up the elevator trim buttons on your yoke to also act as an autopilot disconnect. Train yourself to use the Z key to enable/turn on the autopilot and then when you want to turn it off just touch one of the elevator trim buttons.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Found the answer in another thread... FSUIPC4 comes with a list of commands.Autopilot_off is one of them !This can be used, even without FSUIPC.

Bert

Guest bluesky21

While we're on the subject of assigning keystrokes, I have been wrestling with assigning keys to raising/lowering the floats on the Grumman Goose. I currently have "Lower Floats" mapped to CTRL+SHIFT+W, but I have to assign "Raise Floats" to CTRL+SHIFT+Q. I can't find a way to just toggle it. :(