Sign in to follow this  
timest

I'm getting BSOD's in FSX

This is probably just my 6 year old computer, but everytime I do the 747 Test Flight mission or the Limited Options mission, I get a BSOD. My friend says its my video card, others say it's my RAM. In 747 Test Flight, I'm getting a steady 15 FPS. Then, when the part where the engines fail begins, BOOM! I get a BSOD. In Limited Options, I'm getting 30+ FPS, and just as I approach the airport, BAM! BSOD! It also happens in Free Flight, as I approach an airport. Most of my settings are on Medium High.Any ideas?Thanks in advance.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

I really hate to tell you that it's your computer, but unfortunately I think it is. I ran a P4 2.8 with 1 Gig of Ram and an ATI Radeon X800 256MB card for FS2004 and it was still bad, when I would use the the PMDG 747 I got the OOM errors frequently. Page file plays a role as well, but I think at this point especially considering you are trying to run FSX that it IS your system and that you get yourself a new system if you can afford it. I run an E6600 (overclocked to 2.7) with 3 GIGs of RAM and a nVidia 7600GT 256 MB card and FS9 runs great, FSX doesn't run too terribly bad, but I need to get a new video card because I think that's what's holding me back. Not sure what would cause the BSOD, since I've not experienced one with FSX so far.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Thanks for your reply, I'm planning to get a new computer around summer (specs aren't final yet). My page file is 2.47 GB big. I also ran PMDG 747 and FS2004 and never got an OOM error (even though max FPS was about 6-7). The vid card I'm planning to get is a 512 MB 8800 GT KO by eVGA. But I'll have to get a new motherboard since mine has only PCI and AGP 4x slots. The message displayed by the BSOD was something like "Drivers Less or Not Equal".Thanks again,BoeingGuy

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Based on your system specs, I think the problem is your RAM. Not that it's bad, but you just don't have enough to run FSX reliably! FSX should have a minimum of 1GB and it's sweet spot is closer to 2GB. I think you are just running out of memory!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have to agree with Tom here on this, under 1GB ram is very consistent with users who have experienced the BSOD. But then again, before I purchased my new system, I had an atiX850XT and had 2GB ram on that system and I STILL got the BSOD occasionally. My feeling is it's your ram. Just my 2 cents :)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com