Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Any of you having problems with IE7?

Hi,I installed this a few weeks ago and, on the whole, it appears to be quite stable and reasonably straightforward to customize and navigate. However, this experience does not seem to be shared by many others who have been posting on the Internet. The grief being experienced would be quite alarming and would certainly have put me off installing it had I not done this already!However, I have encountered one issue. I am assuming this to be a bug, in which case I can't for the life of me understand why it was not encountered and corrected during beta testing:If you have a number of tabs open while closing IE7 a window pops up asking the user: 'Do you want to close all tabs?' Naturally you respond in the affirmative whereupon IE7 stops responding with the message: 'IE has encountered a problem and needs to close...etc, etc'. I've lost count of the number of times I have reported the error via the automated reporting system. At this point, you can only get rid of the open IE window via Task manager.I have to say that this does not happen every time, maybe 80+% of the time?...LOL. Needless to say I am now trying to cultivate the habit of closing the tabs individually before exiting IE. At first I was just irritated and felt inclined to swamp Microsoft with these reports, but now I am feeling resigned to having to live with it. C'est la vie.Mike

Hi Mike,Not for me. I just tried multiple times and not once did this happen.Something you might want to try. When you get that dialoge box click on the More Options arrow and check the "Do not show this again" option. Then with multiple tabs open, they will automatically close when you close IE7.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

Hi Jim,Tried your suggestion, but sadly it didn't work :(Fortunately IE7 seems quite stable otherwise and I encounter no problems so long as I close each tab down to one remaining before exiting.Ah well, never mind, thanks anyway.Regards,Mike

Guest diajohn2

Mike,You might try to delete and reinstall IE7. I have not had that happen even once. Best of luck.

Hi John,"You might try to delete and reinstall IE7. I have not had that happen even once."Thanks John, but it seems a pity to risk an installation that seems otherwise stable. I guess it's just affecting me then - I'll learn to live with it, no doubt. I suppose it's just possible some other background process is getting in the way. I'll investigate/experiment further and see what turns up.Mike

Just a brief update:Well, I seem to have made some progress. During my researches I came across this useful command:iexplore.exe -extoffThis starts IE7 without any Add-ons and, guess what, no crashes!I can open as many tabs as I like and IE7 always closes gracefully providing I have started it using the above command.Next step is to select Tools - Manage Add-ons - Enable or Disable Add-ons... and work my way through the list until I isolate the culprit.Mike

Hi,I have now isolated the cause. It turns out it was Now!Imaging - accelerates image delivery to render all image data on Web pages simultaneously.This is a component of the Internet accelerating software ONSPEED. I have been using it since May 2006 and find it provides quite useful acceleration of my Broadband which is only 576 kbps (incoming).Disabling NOW!Imaging resolves the problem and I have now reported this issue to the developers of ONSPEED.Mike

Guest baksteen33

Glad you sorted it, Mike. Software really is 'miraculous' sometimes, isn't it?! :-) Cheers and best wishes Jaap

Hi Jaap,Thanks! :)However, I'm afraid this was one of those occasions when I was too quick to level the finger of blame by making the assumption that it was a bug in IE7. My apologies, Microsoft... mea culpa! :(Best regards,Mike