Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Installing Just Edwards from Acceleration?

I do not want to install the Acceleration program. Is there any way to just install the Edwards update that I hear is GREAT? I fly there a lot and an update would be nice but not at the expense of the Acceleration program screwing up what I have invested in already in aircraft and scenery. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest ronht

As I read through these threads there seems to be a lot of complaints without a lot of clarification on what people are really complaining about in regards to what Acceleration provides overall. To be clear, I think of Acceleration this way:1. An expansion pack that has a lot to offer and runs extremely well under DX9 with ALL of my third party aircraft and scenery - which by the way, I have a lot of. 2. Acceration provides the ability to try a preview (meaning - not yet finished) version of FSX in DX10 with Vista installed to see what may be possible in the future. Your milage may vary based on your computing power and hardware since Acceleration is not a complete rework with DX10 and compatibility problems with (some - not all) third party add-ons can be expected. I do not use the DX10 mode of Acceleration nor do I use 'light bloom' effect and I couldn't be happier with the overall performance and additions that the Acceleration expansion pack has to offer for the price. My frame-rates are much better than they were prior to installing Acceleration and ALL - I repeat ALL of my third party aircraft and scenery work just like it did before when running Acceleration in DX-9 mode. So if you are hesitant about adding Acceleration to your existing FSX installation, make sure you understand what you are being hesitant about, because I think a lot of people here are missing out on a great product. I've spent more money on FSX add-ons (prior to Acceleration) that have provide much more frustration and much less value and enjoyment than Acceleration has provided for the price. I hope this helps a lot of folks sitting on the fence. Don't miss out on a great product based on mixed complaints. DX-9 Acceleration - MIGHTY FINEDX-10 - Preview UN-REFINED. It's a great addition to a great simulation - enjoy it for what it is and don't spend all your time complaining about what it is not. Ron

Hi. Thanks Ron. I understand what you are saying. All I know is that FSX ran better before even using the SP1 patch. Regards, Bob.

I am in a similar boat. Texture loading with SP1/SP2 on my DUAL CORE system is far inferior what it was with RTM on my SINGLE CORE system.

Guess no one could answer your original question, huh?I'd like to know that as well.Edwards did look pretty cool, before I pulled the plug on Accel.Seems like ONE person that replied likes Accel! Well, goodie for that person - however it sure SCREWED UP my system!I had to do a fresh install of FSX before installing Accel.Then didn't put on SP1 'cause it is supposed to be included, along with SP2, on the Accel. DVD.Well, after I uninstalled Accel, it took off the service pack(s) TOO! So, then had to go back and reinstall SP1. Sure getting tired of all this install/uninstall/reinstall/register/register/register/defrag - endlessly!I have an AMD X2 4200+ and possibly what is most incompatible - the 7900GS nVidea card! I don't use Vista nor DX10. Well, I am not blaming my problems on nVidea, I blame it on MS$$$$ for not testing the lousy SP2 properly. Sure hope the SP2, when it does come out by itself, is much better than what is on the Accel DVD!

Guest cbuchner1

I am pretty sure the Edwards phototerrain ships in a self-contained BGL which is likely to work even in the RTM version of FSX. I am not sure about the custom building models though.

Hi. Thanks. Maybe someone who has the Edwards update installed can tell me the filenames of the bgl's involved. Best regards, Bob.

Guest SkyDrift

While respecting others opinions, I agree with Ron' comment:"DX-9 Acceleration - MIGHTY FINE...It's a great addition to a great simulation - enjoy it for what it is and don't spend all your time complaining about what it is not."I've been using FSX RTM & Acceleration since both were made available and would rate the new Acc. planes as first class, the new missions excellent, and the new scenery great.I saw major perf improvements in SP1, and have seen a minor - but noticable - improvement in DX9 perf in most of my flying scenarios with Acc/SP2. I've had no problems with installation or crashes, either. My PC is not top-of-the line, being a 3 yr old XP model, with a 128MB graphics card. I've limited the sim to 20FPS - which I get 90% of the time, and that's with add-on scenery & aircraft from the download section here at Avsim, and with a heavily customized traffic database (yes, I can bring the sim to crawl at my 100% traffic database loading).Sure, there are things I'd like improved, but for the $100-or-so investment in the software, it's been worth every penny.(Note: I have lot's of PC experience & know how to optimize a PC - that has definitely made a difference).Just my 2c - I know others have been driven nuts by this product.- Skydrift

Hello Bob,This is very easy to determine.Just load the Edwards custom ground in TMFViewer - it is the bgl in the SceneryCities directory.Then, look at the status bar - it will show that the terrain scenery is in directory 0202 and that the cell id is 1609.So, keep all those files from Acceleration: - the custom ground bgl - the accompanying texture folder with the autogen annotations - in folder 0202....- APX16190....- CVX1619....- OBX16190However, there are a lot of new and/or improved objects, both in the previous object libraries and in new libraries.So, also keep all the contents of the Acceleration SceneryGlobal directory, including all object libraries and all textures.Of course, you will not have all the improvements to dozens of city landscapes, nor the new aircraft, missions, hundreds of bug fixes...Best regards.Luis

>Guess no one could answer your original question, huh?>I'd like to know that as well.>Edwards did look pretty cool, before I pulled the plug on>Accel.>Seems like ONE person that replied likes Accel! Well, goodie>for that person - however it sure SCREWED UP my system!>I had to do a fresh install of FSX before installing Accel.>Then didn't put on SP1 'cause it is supposed to be included,>along with SP2, on the Accel. DVD.>Well, after I uninstalled Accel, it took off the service>pack(s) TOO! So, then had to go back and reinstall SP1. Sure>getting tired of all this>install/uninstall/reinstall/register/register/register/defrag>- endlessly!>I have an AMD X2 4200+ and possibly what is most incompatible>- the 7900GS nVidea card! I don't use Vista nor DX10. Well, I>am not blaming my problems on nVidea, I blame it on MS$$$$>for not testing the lousy SP2 properly. >Sure hope the SP2, when it does come out by itself, is much>better than what is on the Accel DVD!> Was the forum helpful when you asked for assistance with your installation of Acceleration?

Hi Victor. Thanks. I agree with you 100% on MS$$$$ testing of SP2! I did not even try to install the Accelerator as I was not even happy with the SP1 patch. I bought it on the first day of its release but after hearing all of the problems with backwards compatability I did not install it. I was better off with the original FSX. The Forum has been helpful in all my tweaking though. Best regards, Bob.

Hi Luis. Thanks. Finally that is the info I wanted. I appreciate your help. I'll try it. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Guest slydon

Ron I doubt that you would be so upbeat if you had the experience I had. I am running xp pro on a dual core machine with 3gb memory and installed and uninstalled acceleration 6 times and never did get it to work. I have complained enough here so I won't go into it all again but I think you are in the minority of perfect installs.

>Hi Victor. Thanks. I agree with you 100% on MS$$$$ testing of>SP2! Hang on a minute. Don't put words into my mouth! Where exactly in my reply did I mention anything about MS$$$$ (who the #### are they?!) or the testing of SP2?:-mad