Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

FSX File locations - help please?

Hi guysI've got a bit of an odd setup here.... Dual boot Vista & XP-Prp, and also FS9 & FSX (both on Vista).As a result my messing no doubt, I managed to get FS9 & FSX to store the folders 'Flight Simulator Files', and 'Flight Simulator X Files', in the same drive as the Windows XP installation, istead of drive C: This is NOT GOOD, as I will be loosing said partition soon.How can I force FS9 and FSX to look for these elsewhere?thanks

You must have changed something in Vista itself, as we don't actually specify where those directories go within FSX itself, we get the base path from an OS API function.Did you ever have FS9 & FSX installed under XP? Is it possible the directories on your XP drive are just leftovers from using those apps under XP?I believe there is a way to make Vista store user data at some location other than its default of C:UserUSERNAME , but I've never actually tried it so not sure how/ its accomplished or if it actually works :->

Hi Tim, thanks for reply.Definately they are not leftovers. XP-Pro is ONLY installed for running apps I can't run under Vista.No flight sim software been installed.You'r absolutely right about me having changed something in Vista though..... When I installed Vista, I right clicked on all my user folders, selected properties, then changed the 'location' to my data drive 'E;'I suspect at some point I made a mistake with one, and entered 'D', meaning FS9 & FSX saw that.I just can't see how to make FS9 & FSX change the default location?Means i can't save ANY flights or flight plans!

FSX queries the OS everytime it wants to access these dirs, so if you have corrected the location that Vista is using, then FSX should use that location also (might require a reboot of the OS for it to take full effect maybe?). After making sure all your user dirs made it to the E drive, try saving something from FSX and see if it now saves to the E drive.I don't see an option on my Vista machine's properties dialog to change the location of the User folders, location is a read-only text label in my dialog.

Tim, if you right click on any of the BLUE user folders (which I suspect are 'Junctions'), you then have the 'Location' tab. This enables auto saving to alternative destination other than default C:However, if my expeience is anything to go by, it causes problems for applications.