Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Fenix AP disconnect is still not fixed

2 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

I would open a support case or post something to their discord.  

He did open a community post but then again like most answers on here no one is reporting the issue. Can't be Fenix issue if the majority is not getting this problem.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

Checked all my hardware. Not a problem. This is definitely a FENIX issue

Apparently, you’re not alone. Acknowledged and tracked by Fenix

”We are tracking an issue with random Autopilot Disconnects.
A temporary fix if your autopilot disconnects, gently push the stick forward for a few seconds, then reengage the autopilot.”

BTW. Happened to me twice today. Same flight. Never has happened before and I’ve been flying Fenix since day one Fenix.

Something seems amiss.  I’m with BW on this one.
-B

34 minutes ago, btacon said:

Apparently, you’re not alone. Acknowledged and tracked by Fenix

”We are tracking an issue with random Autopilot Disconnects.
A temporary fix if your autopilot disconnects, gently push the stick forward for a few seconds, then reengage the autopilot.”

BTW. Happened to me twice today. Same flight. Never has happened before and I’ve been flying Fenix since day one Fenix.

Something seems amiss.  I’m with BW on this one.
-B

That post is from March 1st and was fixed with the latest update that came out. I believe this issue was to do with being in the stall protection zone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

That post is from March 1st and was fixed with the latest update that came out. I believe this issue was to do with being in the stall protection zone.

I agree with the Fenix post being from early March.  That said, the fix you mention was not for spurious disconnects, it was for failure of the AP to engage.  From the changelog.

”Tuned alpha protection and recovery (should fix AP not engaging spuriously issue)”

And I had two disconnects, about five min apart at cruise, not during climb out. I’ve NEVER had the Fenix do that in my recollection.

My words stand, something seems amiss.

-B

It was for both, really. 

Atm with people coming over to support for spurious disconnects, it's either

1) Wind shifts kicking the aircraft into A.Prot, or some other reason the aircraft has entered A.Prot

2) Turbulence setting on anything higher than LOW

3) Noise in joystick sensor (or rudder!), kicking off AP

4) Too small a deadzone on either rudder or joystick

Right now the reports seem to be isolated to people with the above, as far as I've seen so far anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Aamir Thacker

4 hours ago, Aamir said:

It was for both, really. 

Atm with people coming over to support for spurious disconnects, it's either

1) Wind shifts kicking the aircraft into A.Prot, or some other reason the aircraft has entered A.Prot

2) Turbulence setting on anything higher than LOW

3) Noise in joystick sensor (or rudder!), kicking off AP

4) Too small a deadzone on either rudder or joystick

Right now the reports seem to be isolated to people with the above, as far as I've seen so far anyway. 

I will have to agree with Aamir’s assessment now. Flew the same route today and everything was flawless, which is usually my experience with the Fenix.  Still much to learn about flying this ship correctly and with the proper “finesse”.  

-B

• Like 1

I had two AP disconnects on the same day as the OP. There were some pretty abrupt wind shifts that day over Europe which I'm sure was the cause for me. It's such an easy plane to hand fly anyway it was hardly a big deal.

• Like 1

Brian W

KPAE

34 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I had two AP disconnects on the same day as the OP. There were some pretty abrupt wind shifts that day over Europe which I'm sure was the cause for me. It's such an easy plane to hand fly anyway it was hardly a big deal.

Unless of course you are in the habit of going AFK then it could be an issue....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

48 minutes ago, BrianW said:

It was a very windy day over Europe. However, I can't believe in real life there are hundreds of Airbus A320s suddenly having their AP disconnect because of a little wind. It seems the tolerance of the Fenix needs to be higher.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Just now, BWBriscoe said:

It was a very windy day over Europe. However, I can't believe in real life there are hundreds of Airbus A320s suddenly having their AP disconnect because of a little wind. It seems the tolerance of the Fenix needs to be higher.

If you had wind shifts IRL as you do in MSFS, you'd be hearing about it on the news 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aamir Thacker

Just now, Aamir said:

If you had wind shifts IRL as you do in MSFS, you'd be hearing about it on the news 🙂

Well then the Fenix tolerance of wind shifts needs to reflect the platform it's decided to put itself on...

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

I can only describe the wind shifts in MSFS as very digital, it can go from 1 to 100 in a millisecond.  Not something that you would ever see in the real world, MSFS needs to dampen this to reflect fluid viscosity.  

• Like 1

Brian W

KPAE

34 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

Well then the Fenix tolerance of wind shifts needs to reflect the platform it's decided to put itself on...

Unfortunately you cannot build a tolerance for which you do not know the severity. Generally a full "fix" would be to completely remove this sub-sys and prot, which for obvious reasons we don't really want to do. The wind shifts in MSFS can be as violent as -100knts to 0 to 100knts in a millisecond if it so desires. Sometimes not so severe. Depends on the day. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Aamir Thacker

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BWBriscoe said:

This is why they encourage low turbulance but MSFS and weather we all know how that handles. Not sure if you used the FSLabs at all in P3D but just like Fenix also had the autopilot disconnecting with the slightest bit of turbulence which they did manage to tune but still happened regardless. 

Even flying the 737 the other day wind shifted along with pressure and I was at least a 1000ft below cruise

Edited by carlanthony24