Sign in to follow this  
Maxis

Ok so now that we have some ground friction programmed..

I was wondering if the Dev team  had explored the possibility to start to develop differences in runway surfaces and conditions ? They could start simple with Grooved/Smooth surface and just three conditions dry/damp/wet for a total of six factors so these landing calculators in some of these higher end aircraft are put to better use. I'm finding it a little too easy to land on a dime in wet conditions. Hopefully they consider this for MSFS 2024 if they cant do it for 2020. Just a thought.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D/ Asus ROG Strix B650E F Gaming WiFi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200 Pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li LanCool II Mesh Performance / Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard Amp.

Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke + T.16000M Joystick + TFRP Rudders

Land glider on cornfield and it rolls several hundred meters until stops. There is no difference between cornfield and tarmac.

While on some aprons I need 65% N1 to get a jet rolling....

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I think that's more to do with the aircraft's engine modeling than the surface.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, JYW said:

And slope. I've noticed that very minor slopes sometimes require quite a bit more power to ascend if you're starting from a stop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JYW said:

Umm tell that to PMDG and Just Flight! 😉. 737 and F28 respectively. 

Its worse with addon airports. 

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

11 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Interesting, I mostly play with small prop singles in the sim and if anything some seem to exhibit the opposite, with idle power/thrust seemingly over-modelled

So I'm uncertain whether its a ground friction modelling problem

It's been a while since I really paid attention to this though so I'll try a few different aircraft tonight to refresh my memory

14 hours ago, Maxis said:

I was wondering if the Dev team  had explored the possibility to start to develop differences in runway surfaces and conditions ?

If my memory serves me well and it doesn’t always do,  it was an early promise for MSFS before the release. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

And still wet surface also produces more friction (than it should).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

FlyByWire Simulations

It's definitely inconsistent. There seems to be some kind of variable resistance depending on your speed. I don't mean irl rolling resistance /inertia. It also differs between different surfaces at airports and is certainly not consistent. 

Of course turbo props like the KA 350 just ignore all the problems and accelerate like a greyhound out the gate when brakes are released! 

I landed that plane in regional Northern Sky addon last night and after 110kts touch down it stopped in less than 100m and started accelerating backwards. The reverse thrust is also very over powered imo and totally word not allowed of basic physics. If you activate it when stationary you can launch backwards as if inertia did not exist, I tipped the pmdg 736 over doing that while setting them up. 

Coming from FSX which also had many issues it seems very noticeable and actually not as realistic. I'd do some testing with the same plane different airports and surfaces to get some kind of accurate comparison details but I feel information like that would just be ignored by the devs. 

"It LOOKS great.. Our work is done here. "

• Like 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Watsi said:

And still wet surface also produces more friction (than it should).

Let alone ice or snow. There's none in that regard.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it, this is just one of a whole raft of issues that need to be attended to in MSFS, but I think our expectations are too high, and a lot won't be attended to in the 2020 version.  Hopefully they will be in 2024.

By the way, as far as I know, and based on the conversations on the last twitch session (from Seb), it is not so much the ground friction that was attended to, but the behaviour of the wheels / suspension.
They have been given a few degrees of freedom in movement to simulate the tyre distortion on touchdown and change of direction.  It adds a bit of lag and seems to simulate inertia better, as the tyre distorts just before the aircraft moves (as in real life).

In my testing, it does seem to improve ground handling feel in the C172 they have added the effect to in SU15 beta, but they haven't touched ground friction as such.

Some also report the IniBuilds A300 also feels better on the ground in the Beta (v .10 had the config files adjusted to take advantage of the new feature in the beta).  I haven't tried it myself yet.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

The physics in mfs on the ground leaves a lot to be desired, I hope that in the future it will improve because this and the physics of the last meters prevent me from enjoying this simulator.

52 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Some also report the IniBuilds A300 also feels better on the ground in the Beta (v .10 had the config files adjusted to take advantage of the new feature in the beta).  I haven't tried it myself yet.

It seems so, yes. Some sort of ground friction implementation would be great. Although I probably won’t be able to do many of the crazy short field landings I’ve done lately. Just landed the 146 on a short, wet runway with no negative consequence whatsoever. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

It will also be really nice if aprons/runways will still look wet and not dry up 10 seconds after the rain stopped... I have a feeling it will be like this in FS24 as well...

• Like 1

Roi Ben