Sign in to follow this  
carlanthony24

Active Sky coming to MSFS

Posted (edited)

I’m hopeful it’ll end up being a good product. I owned their software for p3d and swore by it. With that said, I’m a bit skeptical that this won’t end up being another type of REX style software. I’m eager to see what folks think, but I’ll read the reviews first.

Edited by Keirtt
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

Posted (edited)

I'm skeptical but open to see how they handle moving fronts and transitions. If its not as seamless as the default............

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Great news, this dev has been the cornerstone for the FS cloud/weather addon since FSX days and could be a game changer .. but .... ( Trigger warning ahead)

Basically 90% of MSFS falls short, in every area IMHO (yes every area.. I did warn of the triggering!) And we have 3rd part devs to thank for rescuing it. The Xbox has been a blessing and a curse I know. It gave the huge playerbase and so huge $$$$ inflows, so thus Devs can make good $$ and worth their great efforts to make the needed addons. We are basically coming full circle like FSX / P3D legacy again, where the 'base sim' is a best-effort and we need to load up 10 addons to make it any good.

I really hope Damien Clark can work wonders with the live weather cloud depiction in MSFS. Knowing how restricted to 3rd party the access to the weather side of it is (thanks Meteoblue) I am kinda skeptical, but if anyone can make the best of it, Damien can.

• Like 7

Looks interesting, but one thing I dont get is this broken and overcast turbulence simulation?  An overcast layer is typically stratiform and smooth.  Turbulence in the real world is based on cloud type, not sky coverage.  Turbulence in clouds needs to be related to thermals and wind changes within the cloud itself.  Cumulus clouds are always turbulent in real life, with intensity increasing with the size and height of the cloud. Stratus clouds are smooth, and cirrus can be choppy in an area of jet stream shear, or they can be smooth.  None of this has anything to do with whether the clouds form a broken or overcast layer.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Active Sky FS will also integrate directly with SimBrief for flight plan integration and also PMDG’s aircraft for wind uplink data. The universal data export also allows other third party add-ons to interact with Active Sky FS.

That part gains my interest. Could this mean 3rd party aircraft can use ActiveSky for their Weather Radars like in the FSX/P3D days? This would be big indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't have to be perfect just has to work. I'll get it just to support them. Loved AS in P3D.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Interesting...I made good use of their products way back to FS2004 (I think, maybe FSX?) so I'll be interested so see what they can add to the MSFS weather experience.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 hours ago, Keirtt said:

I’m hopeful it’ll end up being a good product. I owned their software for p3d and swore by it. With that said, I’m a bit skeptical that this won’t end up being another type of REX style software. I’m eager to see what folks think, but I’ll read the reviews first.

I wonder as well.  They do state that when using the Active Sky wx depiction mode, it is preset-based.  Sounds similar to Rex.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Andrew Crowley

Posted (edited)

I'm mainly interested in the historical weather missing (see FAQ at the end of this page) https://hifisimtech.com/asfs/

How far back does historical weather go?
Ground snow coverage data is available for the past 10 days only. Tropical storm data is available live and older than 10 days in the past (not available historically within 10 days of present). All other weather data is available, in hourly archives, for the past several years. Some dates/times or data layers may not be available. Coverage, resolution, and availability is subject to change.

The user interface seems to be a copy/paste of the previous version 😉 Feel getting back in front of my FS2004 or Prepar3D 😉 Anyway if it generates good evolving historical weather at 360°, I'm fine with whatever user interface.

main-1.png

historical.png

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Meh. They had how many years to do something with MSFS now? This seems sus. That interface above looks like something I'd expect from a amateur program designer of the Windows 2000 era. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yea, that interface takes me back to P3D, mixed feelings about that. From the description "ASFS Preset Weather Depiction Mode" it sounds like a similar approach as REX where AS will manipulate the preset values using its weather information. As others have said we will have to see how this works in regards to fronts and transitions and whether it makes the whole world one weather system.  Damien did great work in P3D, he is a talented developer and was very responsive and customer centered so I am certainly interested by this. I may get it just to support Active Sky as they find their way in the new frontier!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

Posted (edited)

Nice to see the return of another big name from the FSX/P3D days but I’ll sit this one out until some reviews are in. Unpopular opinion, but I find the weather engine in MSFS to be pretty solid at this point. AS’s metar to metar injection model is well behind the tech under the hood already.

As previously pointed out, we are also getting back to the stage of bloating the sim with lots of third party apps (I’m running fs realistic, real turb and the FPS LOD program already) so am reluctant to keep adding more unless it’s really good. 

Looks like we won’t have to wait too long to find out.

Edited by bennyboy75
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

No more miriad apps running in background for me, I like the default weather system, it's not perfect but it works well.

• Like 24
  • Upvote 3

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Is MSFS capable of showing all cloudtypes needed to get improved cloudlayers / weather ?

Si not everything based on cumulus clouds ….

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0