Sign in to follow this  
carlanthony24

Active Sky coming to MSFS

24 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

FBW link back to the thread I linked as it was posted by one of their developers. I don't know if they have a more updated stance on it though. 

Back when he posted that in 2021 all the sim provided was a top down 2D bit map to provide a NEXRAD view. However, Asobo have provided an output that reads precipitation in clouds for at least two years now…

I am going to wait for MSFS 2024. I have put a hold on all addons for MSFS except for aircrafts. Makes very little sense to buy this when MSFS 2024 is right around the corner with obviously a more robust weather engine.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 minute ago, DD_Arthur said:

Back when he posted that in 2021 all the sim provided was a top down 2D bit map to provide a NEXRAD view. However, Asobo have provided an output that reads precipitation in clouds for at least two years now…

Yeah I know, I'm just stating what their bot spits out on discord when anyone asks about weather radar. I don't keep an eye on their discord that much so I don't know if they have a more updated stance on it. 

• Upvote 1

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

12 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

That's the built in Asobo radar then some third parties refuse to use.

It's a bit of a mystery why that is. Apart from not having a tilt function it works the same way that AS did in P3D; it reads precipitation data.

Seems to work quite well. Much better than a big hole in the flight deck with a label saying 'Inop'.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

t's a bit of a mystery why that is. Apart from not having a tilt function it works the same way that AS did in P3D; it reads precipitation data.

It's useless without a tilt function, that's the point. It might show a thunderstorm directly ahead of you while you're 5000 feet above the highest cloud layer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

It's useless without a tilt function, that's the point. It might show a thunderstorm directly ahead of you while you're 5000 feet above the highest cloud layer.

No, it projects a cone of detection ahead of the aircraft so it’s not ‘useless’.

The problem is Asobo’s weather is simply not dangerous.

Did ActiveSky build a tilt function? I’m impressed…

• Like 2

With hundreds of nice weather presets available for the default sim weather, I doubt AS will really bring something to MSFS.  

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

4 minutes ago, edpatino said:

With hundreds of nice weather presets available for the default sim weather, I doubt AS will really bring something to MSFS.  

You need to read the product page.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

No, it projects a cone of detection ahead of the aircraft so it’s not ‘useless’.

The problem is Asobo’s weather is simply not dangerous.

Did ActiveSky build a tilt function? I’m impressed…

"The problem is Asobo’s weather is simply not dangerous." 

Exactly!

If it were the opposite it would make this simulator completely addictive. This would require us to diligently analyze the weather forecast throughout our flight plan with the utmost attention. Our brain would be constantly in turmoil.

Our flights would certainly be more tiring and our pleasure so much greater.You can't even imagine how much it would change everything...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

It exists, just not within METAR range of airports for some reason.

That's the built in Asobo radar then some third parties refuse to use.

I did submit a question for next Dev Q&A asking Asobo if they'll improve the weather radar themselves (or WT) since third parties can't. Who knows if it will be asked.

Yeah one of my most favorite memories of MSFS before it was downgraded to oblivion was when I was sitting on the ramp in the Bahamas blue sky day and a thunderstorm roles in an hour late turning the sky dark with light night but you could watch the storm approach from the ocean and the rain shafts.

Ever since one of the earlier updates that has never happened again. Sad. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I will be purchasing for the following reasons:

• Historical weather - a big plus for long-haulers and for the multitude of reasons mentioned elsewhere.  I can plan a flight one week night and then go and fly it on the weekend 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Better air/turbulence simulation - e.g. thunderstorms.  MSFS WX does not do a very good job with this at the moment.

• More varied cloudscapes - I am sick of everything looking like towering cumulus from above!

• Hifi have been excellent developers for other platforms, and I see this is a start for them in MSFS.  I would like to give them my support giving MS's pig-headedness about so many aspects of weather in MSFS.

• Hopefully it may lead one day to a a weather radar...

Damian and Hifi have always offered good support, been responsive to suggestions and ideas and have created a product that has been indispensible to my FS9/X/P3D flying.

As for some comments regarding the interface, it is functional and does exactly what it says on the tin.  In my opinion, it's getting a little superficial to worry about that.  Think about the interface of MSFS itself, it's pretty ordinary.  But then again, I think Windows peaked at Windows 2000 SP4 haha.

Now all we need is a flipping camera add-on that doesn't need to have momvement between camera presest and I'd be much happier!

Cheers,
Rudy

Edited by VHOJT
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, VHOJT said:

I will be purchasing for the following reasons:

• Historical weather - a big plus for long-haulers and for the multitude of reasons mentioned elsewhere.  I can plan a flight one week night and then go and fly it on the weekend 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Better air/turbulence simulation - e.g. thunderstorms.  MSFS WX does not do a very good job with this at the moment.

• More varied cloudscapes - I am sick of everything looking like towering cumulus from above!

• Hifi have been excellent developers for other platforms, and I see this is a start for them in MSFS.  I would like to give them my support giving MS's pig-headedness about so many aspects of weather in MSFS.

• Hopefully it may lead one day to a a weather radar...

Damian and Hifi have always offered good support, been responsive to suggestions and ideas and have created a product that has been indispensible to my FS9/X/P3D flying.

The same here!  These are all my reasons for being a close to day 1 purchaser.  I wish HiFi all the best for this new endeavor and thank them for their past support of our hobby over many years.

Bruce

• Like 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

For me what I most hope to see is simply greater cloud type depiction….everything is cumulus related and this is simply not representing the range of cloud types you see. So that is the number one hope for me. I’d like to see some pics to see the difference and range of cloud types. I would have no hesitation support king then is this is part of the package. Also can they tone down the “volcanic ash” look to dense clouds? Those would be great improvements worth my dollar 💵 

im hopeful!

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Curious to see what this product can do.

i fly primarily in P3d still for many reasons, but active sky has been such a fantastic and reliable program for many years.  Happy to see them expanding into msfs and wish them success with it. 

• Like 1

Orman

I’m satisfied with MSFS weather and always fly in real time. Zero need for historical wx. MS24 likely out in 6 months as well. And I don’t want yet another external program running in the background. It’s a no from me.

• Like 2

Eric