Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

scenery config question

Guest claytonsiem

Hello everyone:I have been modifying FSX since it came out. I have a bunch of scenery and AI aircraft I have added over this time.The problem is this: my fsx takes SOOOO long to load, I almost lose interest before it loads up completely! I have also noticed a definite hit to my FPS!I am sure this is due to my huge scenery.cfg file. I have all the scenery activated in one config file.Do I need European - Asian - African scenery loaded if I am only flying locally in Tampa, FL? I don't think so...But, I don't want to manually remove/ readd scenery to my config file each time I want to fly.Is there an automated program that will allow me to create multiple scenery config files tailored to geographic areas?Or, any other suggestions?Thanks for all the help I get it here!Clayton

Guest Nils79

Clayton,i don't think that normal sceneries are causing your long loading times. Or do you use photo sceneries? If you are using photo sceneries, it'll help if you move them in a folder outside of the FSX main folder. But i think your ai aircraft are causing your long loading times.

Guest claytonsiem

Actually, the only photo scenery I use is Oahu (megascenery).The rest are mostly just airport and major city sceneries I have d/l'ed right here on avsim.I do, extensively, use World of AI packages. Not everyone, but I have a lot of them.But the loading sequence of FSX (if I am not mistaken) loads AI towards the end, in the 90% completed range. The loading is SSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW throughout the entire loading sequence, not just towards the end.I agree the AI is hurting my FPS to some extent, but I think I just have too much scenery installed.Any ideas on the config?

Guest Nils79

Hm, try mesh resolution @38m and texture resolution maximal @1m.Scenery complexity depends on your PC, but try it with normal-dense settings - lower if you have a weak PC and lower the LOD radius to medium. Perhaps a custom LC or Mesh is also causing longer loading times.But in general i would test with the settings and not disable default sceneries. You are using FSX+SP1?

Hi Clayton,aside from that issue with photoreal scenery that Nils refers to FS will only load scenery files close to your starting position so it really cannot be the contents of your scenery.cfg file (though you could check it for corruption with Steve Greenwood's tool available at http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/dow...s/fsscenery.zip which works for FS2002/04/X).I'm wondering whether this might be an issue with your virus scanner? Some scanners are known to slow down loading of FSX especially if you're using add-ons with tons of individual files, like Ultimate Terrain. Most virus checkers can be configured to exclude specific file types or folders from scanning but a quick first check is to completely deactivate your scanner before loading FS.Cheers, Holger

Hello,I have AGAIN the same problem. Long = 35 minuts !I use Filemon to find the reason but without success for weeks now.With Filemon (tracing all the FSX I/Os) I see that the game reads, and rereads and reads again , and again all the .bgl files , sceneries available in my Addon Scenery = billions of I/Os !! that why is is so slow...NOW The BIG question is : why does the game reads all these files? I my opinion it searchs some thing , another .bgl file ? some textures ?I continue to seach and try ...Good luck.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Guest jshyluk

I would consider 3 to 5 minutes a long load. 35 minutes is terrible! I wish I had some good solutions for you, but all I can offer is some basic suggestions:1) Defrag your HD2) Make sure you have at least 1-2 GB of empty hard drive space3) Re-Install FSX (!)Usually, AI and scenery are the culprits for long loading times, so the more those are customized the longer you have to wait. The other posters have good advice, and apart from what they have said, I can't think of anything else that would take that long to load. It may be that you have pushed things so far that they cannot be repaired.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM