Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Reverse Thrust is pathetic

A Jet Airliner landing using reverse thrust produces a thunderous roar that is very loud.Why is FSX different?

Dave Taylor gb.png

I think you will find some of the payware planes recreate the sounds much better and there are many freeware sound sets in the Avsim library. Please keep in mind that the sound may still not be as loud as you think it should be becuase it is created from the pilots perspective and not a passenger sitting over the wings.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest fsxmissionguy

Which you perceive of course, very differently, because you are usually closer to the engines sitting in the passenger cabin than you are when piloting the aircraft.Having been fortunate enough to have taken several flights in a 727 cockpit, I can tell you that almost all of the sounds that you normally associate with big iron flight while sitting in the cabin sound differently when sitting in the cockpit.Perhaps some of AVSIM's real-world pilots can give us their perspective?

Guest Stoopy

Also probably because a lot of users may live in apartment complexes or condos with neighbors very close, and reproducing the true full decibel level of the real thing would likely result in immediate noise complaints if not sheer panic among the local community...

I can accept maybe the level of sound heard on the flight deck but the sounds in 'spot' view are totally unrealistic.Thanks for your opinions, more please?:-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest prdant

You think that's pathetic. I've yet been able to get it to work for me. I sure it's my fault, now that's pathetic.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Just a question ... not really a criticism ... but what are you doing outside the cockpit when you are landing the aircraft?

Every version of fs so far has had no change to the prop sounds when the prop pitch is changed. This should produce a roar in the cockpit (during runup and when going full before landing) that is equal if not more than the reverse thrust sound of a jet.But then, there are lots of things that still haven't been modelled yet in fs-and many of the third parties take up the slack. I don't really see it as pathetic-out of the millions of things to model in an aircraft, just not done yet.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I think maybe he is talking about replay...am I right??I have spent a great deal of time at KIAH, and can attest that reverse thusters should perhaps be louder from spot view. At least thats what I can tell. As far as the cockpit, my pilot friend said that it was not quite bad, if anything he said the vibrations would be the cause for some more noise, but some more rumble would not hurt either.Danon O.

>Just a question ... not really a criticism ... but what are>you doing outside the cockpit when you are landing the>aircraft?With the PMDG 747 you CAN be on the outside landing the aircraft in 'autoland' configuration and apply reverse thrust in the normal way after hitting the 'Z' key to disable the autopilot switch but yes, I am referring to a replay.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>A Jet Airliner landing using reverse thrust produces a>thunderous roar that is very loud.>>Why is FSX different? Dave, the technical reason is that there is no seperate sound file for "reverse thrust." When you engage the thrust reversers fully, you are simply going to hear the same sound volume you would if you had the throttles set for 20-30% forward thrust.This has been the same since at least FS98. The only "improvement" with sound in FSX has been the introduction of Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and the impmentation of "sound cone" parameters whereby the "level of sound" changes as one rotates around the aircraft in Spot View.....IOW, quieter towards the rear, and gradually increasing in volume as you move/rotate towards the front of the aircraft. Note that "imported aircraft" from FS9 will not have the "sound cone" parameters, so will - of course - not make use of this feature.For example, the new parameters used in the default 737-800 are:full_scale_distance=60InsideConeAngle=90OutsideConeAngle=270ConePitch=0ConeHeading=0OutsideConeVolume=9000For an illustrated view and explanation, see:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?...nd_Cones_in_FSX

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, yes and no. Let's take two types of aircraft; MD-80 and 737-300: If you are sitting in row 30F on an MD-80, the engines are loud in all flight regimes, especially so in reverse thrust, but more so if you are in the 5-10 rows forward of that. If you are sitting in first class, you can barely hear the engines at all since they are so far back, and the flight deck is pleasingly quiet.If you are on a 737-300 and sitting on the wings, you do get a nice roar in reverse thrust, but not so much so on full forward thrust. Why? Because the CFM's are HBR and are pretty quiet even at Max or Full Thrust. In reverse, the accellerated air that would usually flow through the bypass duct and past the combustion chamber, is vectored forward, hence the noise (note, this air is accellerated by the fans but still is not used for combustion). But as far as the roar, it is not loud in the flight deck or any seats not in the immediate vicinity nacelles. And since full reverse thrust is seldom used (passenger comfort as well as wear and tear), you just don't get that roar.From an external point of view, reverse thrust is the loudest flight regime for most aircraft. Even a 777 with GE90's at max thrust will give off an good powerful high pitched whine more than a roar (like a fire truck), at takeoff, but on touchdown at full RT, it's like a 707 at max thrust because of all the air being used for thrust reversal instead of being bypassed. Still, inside is still quiet and the flightdeck is uncannily quiet except for the increase in the sound of the "whine"So from a sim standpoint, we need the loud external sound of RT but from an interior standpoint, unless you are flying a 707, from the flight deck, the pitch of the engines should increase but there should be no "roar" (unless you've got the flightdeck window open :-) )Hope this helps.Mike T.

Mike, your contribution more or less says it all for me. I'm glad that someone else has heard the same sounds as I have in reality. What a shame and with all the added energy available within FSX they couldn't have improved the R.T. sounds to mimic reality?I am a sounds enthusiast and theres no better sound than hearing those reversers at full power. :-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Prop noises can be a little tricky and turboprops have fallen through the cracks on every FS release. For instance there is no provision for the way a turbine engine sounds at high RPM and the blades in stages of beta (at least I've never heard em). I'd like to get for the Dash-8, ATR, King/Queens, etc.Regards,Mike T.