Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Ai Smooth - WOAI

I was just wondering if anyone can verify if AI smooth works within FSX with world of Ai...??I have WOAI and installed Ai smooth, but still had problems (go arounds one after another) with my commercial traffic at 60%, much less higher. I have to run it down around 50% or this starts happening like mad.Danon - -

Guest jshyluk

My understanding is that the AI percentage slider is relative to the traffic .BGL file you choose to use. The default FSX .BGL will put fewer aircraft into play at 100% than third-party .BGL's, for instance. So (arbitrary number here) if FSX puts fifty planes into the air at 100%, maybe other add-ons would put 100 or 200 planes into the air. That was certainly my experience with both MyTrafficX and Ultimate Traffic. As far as I know, AISmooth plays nicely with any traffic mod, although I could be wrong here.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

How is WOAI with FSX? Is it better perf-wise than default traffic? I'm going to install a bunch of packs. Do you need anything else other than the main installer and packs?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Really?I have just been using the installer, and the packs. They have been loading up and flying all over the place. Is this wrong? Should I be converting?danon -

>Really?>>I have just been using the installer, and the packs. They>have been loading up and flying all over the place. Is this>wrong? Should I be converting?>>danon - You only need to convert them, if you are mixing them with FSX AI traffic, such as FSX GA. If you mix FS9 and FSX taffic, only the FS9 traffic will show, unless they are converted to FSX format in which both will show.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Does the % slider actually do anything with WOAI flight plans?I thought all of these plans were 'hard coded' at 100% no matter what you set the slider in FSX to?By this, I mean that all the plans are compliled to show up whenever the slider is 1% or higher.Is this still the case?Glenn

>Really?>>I have just been using the installer, and the packs. They>have been loading up and flying all over the place. Is this>wrong? Should I be converting?>>danon - Well you don't HAVE to convert. But if you don't, you won't be able to use any native FSX traffic bgls as Tom said, nor will you be able to have any boat traffic (and that probably includes the accel carriers although I have not tested this).I think, if you are going to run FSX, I would want to run native FSX bgl files for max compatibility. At some point in the future, we are all going to have to run bgl's for that version.Besides, converting is easy...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have not noticed any problems with WoAI and AISmooth. AISmooth seems to be working just fine for me with all my traffic bgls. I run a mix of PAI (converted by me), WoAI (converted by me), and my own from-scratch traffic bgls.I will keep my eyes open for problems though, now that you bring up the issue...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

I think we have some crossed wires here.First, "converting" FS9 flight plans to run in FSX is not really a precise term. The utility that folks are talking about does two things - it corrects the airports that have changed code in FSX and it changes the day-of-the-week so that it matches the FSX convention. FS9 FPs are a day off so the utility bumps up the day of the week. Otherwise, you can run FS9 FPs in FSX - there is no conversion needed. The FS9-sourced FPs will just not have the new conventions. Note: FP "conversion" has nothing to do with the incompatibility between FSX default traffic and the FS9-sourced FPs.Second, if you are going to use FS9-sourced FPs (whether you "fix" them or not) don't use the standard FSX default traffic file. FS9 FPs and the default traffic file are not compatible. I don't use the default traffic so I don't have any problems with these FPs - including the carriers from Acceleration. People are talking about using FSX default aircraft in their AI environment. If you think you have performance problems now wait until you add a bunch of these FSX aircraft to AI. The texture file sizes are quite large. My suggestion - don't do it.Third, WOAI, PAI, and I believe UT all run fine under FSX. While I don't have UT, I have more than 350 aircraft and over 7,000 texture files all running under FSX without any problems.fb

Frank,There is one utility which converts the .BGL file to FSX compatability. Note I did not say FSX compliance. It does allow the other TDBB files to work and run at the same time. However, it does have a few rough spots and might never be widely released.AISort converts FS9 flightplan to FSX Compliance - so that they will compile with TDBB. It does a great job, however it often has to exclude a portion of the flight plans because the real world schedule will not fit under the stricter rules of Microsoft's AI standards - turn around time, available parking, minimum required runway length, etc. Works great on a FP like long distance cargo carriers - works terrible on a tight turn LCC like Southwest or Ryan.That said - everyone needs to remember that My Traffic does not use Traffic Tools formats for flight plans - that program used TDBB exclusively in FS2004 and FSX.

Does the % slider actually do anything with WOAI flight plans?I thought all of these plans were 'hard coded' at 100% no matter what you set the slider in FSX to?By this, I mean that all the plans are compliled to show up whenever the slider is 1% or higher.Is this still the case?Newer packages released in the past six to twelve months - yes - the FP percentages are randomized so that the slider has an appropriate impact. Though of course very small airlines with usually five or ten aircraft are set so that all of them show up at low percentage settings.For those of you unfamiliar with writing flight plans - The AI slider DOES NOT control the percentage of the AI flights which will appearThe person writing the flightplan sets the % threshold for each aircraft flight. When you move the slider - you move the threshold. Every FP written to appear at below the % factor will appear, and every FP written to appear above the % factor will not appear.As an example - I have some great, but gone, airlines in my AI world - Pan Am, Eastern, TWA. They are set so that the aircraft only appear if the % slider is above 95%.It is a common practice to write AI flightplans so that every aircraft/flight appears at the 1% threshold.If the AI slider is set to 2% and every one of the flightplans has a 1% threshold - you get all the AI.If the AI slider is set to 50% and 70% of the flights have a threshold below 50% and 30% have a threshold above 50% - you get 70% of the traffic.Best Practice in FS2002 and FS2004 was to randomize the AI percentages - but as computers got more powerful - people fell out of the habit of taking that step.FSX needs that capability.You can always decompile a FS2004 Traffic.bgl file with Traffic Tools and check the percentages. If necessary - you can make changes manually - or you can use AITM's Randomize FP Percentages option.

...continuing with what Reggie is talking about, there is a program by Henning Shaefer called ReduceAI:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...util&DLID=93688...which can be used on an FSX traffic bgl to give it percentages, if it is coded for 100% or 1% as R discusses.If you have a poorly-behaving FSX traffic bgl that does not respond to the traffic slider, then ReduceAI may be of use to you.Of course, there is always the option of decompiling the bgl and editing the flights yourself. This is the way I do it, and then recompile using TDBB to be sure to have a native FSX bgl.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett