Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Elevated runway/taxiway lights & transparency issue ?

Does anyone else have this issue at night with FSX/Accell, or could I have something screwed up in my config? It's at all airports I've checked.All the runway marker lights sit about 2 feet off the ground, instead of at ground level. Then if I pan down to ground level in spot, they actually disapear as if I am viewing them from underneath or below ground level. I also notice that "these" lights (as well as some of the autogen vegetation such as the tumble weeds at Edwards (not the trees)) disappear when the a/c pans behind them - even though they are in front (or nearer) to you? This seems like an alpha or transparency issue?Do you notice this as well? Just trying to determain if its a FSX/Accell bug issue, due to an add-on (maybe mesh) etc, or maybe I have something else screwed up.Thanks in advance,GarettHere's a couple of pics, the lights one is harder to notice in a still shot, but take a look at the navgreen (height and then the one thats not shown where the A/C is)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181585.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181587.jpg

Yes I notice that about the runway lights, at least at my home airport (EGPH). It seems to be only the ones at the end of the runway, once you get onto the main part of the runway they are OK. Feels kind of wierd to taxi through them though.Colin

Guest tcable

IRL, the runway and taxiway lights are elevated- a foot or 2 above ground level unless...They are embedded in pavement (centerline lights, TDZ lights or approach lights in an active taxi area.But yes, this is bizarre :)

It looks like the impact of the 'round world' in FSX.Airports are no longer truely flat. Though they have a fixed elevation - the earth curve can be as much as 5 feet difference in elevation on some really big airports.This is why most of the really good FS2004 sceneries cannot be used in FSX - on some parts of the airport the aircraft will sink below the scenery and on others it will float above.The runway lighting may not conform to the round world curve like the runway textures now do.Prior to SP2 the runway would create a flatten effect and bring up or lower down the curve to the runway level.SP2 changed that behavior - probably an inadvertent side effect of some other code.I don't know for sure that is the effect you are seeing - but from what I understand of the extremely complex scenery process - it's possible.I do notice that runway edge lights tend to appear higher on the runway ends than near the airport reference point.

Thanks for the input,Agreed Reggie, I was guessing it has to do someting with the round earth, but I thought (pretty sure anyways) as mentioned this was corrected or minimized after SP1 - but it seems to have returned to RTM state after SP2? Going back a bit, I though I remember discussions/input and mentioned fixes from Phil mentioning minimizing Z-tearing, etc etc, and fixing flat polygons following curvature at dusk, dawn and night but not day etc etc.I wondered if this was maybe part of that, but it's only the lights not taxiway signs or other objects? I checked at day in fog and its the same deal.The disapearing autogen and lights is a seperate unknown issue?Anyways, at least now I know it's not something "I" did LOL !!Thanks'GarettDay pic - Airport is Valdez, AKhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181605.jpg

Guest jshyluk

I don't know if this will work, but some floating object issues are solved if you use the Mesh Resolution slider at 10 meters. If that works, try taking off and landing a floatplane on the water. Setting the mesh to anything but 1 meter can cause problems with some peoples' floatplanes, in that they will bounce like crazy. I don't think the floatplane issue affects everybody, so maybe it's worth a try.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I don't think adding on to a 5.5 year old thread is going to do anything.

You might want to start a new thread with the details of your computer and exactly what you are experiencing.