Sign in to follow this  
Guest kinetic

Best short Flight - Where in the World?

Hi All,Just wondering where you folks think in FSX is the most interesting VFR flight? Is it for example, maybe a short cross country trip in Italy, or a dawn Safari in somewhere in Keyna, or a helicopter trip over the Grand Caynon in the US. Maybe up to two hours flying time, using anything from a Piper Cub to the King Air...Any ideas??Cheers,Fisky1

Guest jshyluk

I was thinking of putting up some Top Ten lists of my favourite places and things to do in FSX, so here is maybe a sneak preview:1)Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada to Victoria BC, Canada. Fly over Vancouver, see the Lion's Gate, watch ferries negotiate Active Pass in the Gulf Islands, land at the airport, or if you have an amphibious plane, land in downtown Victoria. This works best with the Vancouver+ and Victoria + sceneries.2)Springfield Oregon USA to Seattle Washington USA. If you have a STOL aircraft, take off from private airstrip Jasper Ridge northbound: it's possibly the most spectacular take-off in FSX. Travel north. If you make it to Seattle, enjoy the detailed scenery.3)Jackson Hole Wyoming USA to, well, anywhere. Just fly circuits if you like, or explore the beautiful mountains. Do this on a clear day at dawn or dusk for the best effect.4)Savage Island to Boston. Savage Island is a remarkable private island/airstrip in Vermont, USA. It makes a superior base of operations for VFR adventure. I suggest a trip to scenic Boston. Definitely visit Vermont on a cold and wintry day.5)Lugano Switzerland to Lake Maggiore or Lake Garda. This is a bit challenging, but the scenery of Northern Italy is exceptional in FSX, if only because in the real world, this region already has a piece of my heart. First, go gliding in the mountain thermals near Lugano. You will not be disappointed! Then, take a floatplane and fly from Lake Lugano west until you reach Lake Maggiore. Time your landing near Isola Bella for the evening, and you can dock and be at one of the shoreline restaurants in nearby Carciano in time for dinner -- fresh fish caught in the lake and little lemon babas for dessert. If you ask, the waiter will give you some stale bread to feed the swans, or better still, bring some birdseed. WARNING: This Is The Most Romantic Place On The Planet! If you ever go here in real life, you will lose your heart to the beauty of this region. Or, take off from Lugano, head south over Milan (or stop and shop; you can't possibly go wrong buying clothes in Milan), or catch a race in nearby Monza. Then turn east and travel to Sirmione, the wonderfully beautiful and historically-charged ithsmus into Lake Garda - home of Benito Mussolini and his Official Mistress Clara Petacci, as well as countless battles between Guelph and Gibbeline fighters. The real-world castles will take your breath away! Then, if you like, stretch a flight leg down to Rome, the Eternal City, always a pleasure to visit in FSX. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Mountains are always popular.In FS2004 it was Queenstown to Milford Sound in New Zealand - NZQN-NZMF and return. Unfortunately the NZMF airport in FSX is badly messed up - at elevation 800 feet when it should be 8 feet.

Hi Guys,I reckon that Dolpa (VNDP) in Nepal is also one of the best takeoffs available in FS! Titanic mountains all around you and a surprise at the end of the runway - just make sure you are flying! Its a good idea to do a personal top-ten of interesting things to see & do in FS, I'll see can I come up with a few places as well.Cheers,Fisky1

Guest Lith1um

Geofa, that sounds like the "missing coworker" mission's flight plan.

Guest deadly

Geofa, have you tried the helicopter in Crysis yet? I think your going to love the graphics in Crysis!

The NW parts of Norway is spectacular with its fjords along the Atlantic.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest bluesky21

A short hop from Athens to Rome in a ardier CRJ700 is my personal favorite. But I've always been more of a prop plane kind of guy.

Guest kinetic

Adding to the allready great list:The Hawaii Islands make for great VFR hopping and the default mesh resolution seems greater than usual.As an added bonus from MS (not bad I can say something good about MS) you can take the "Hawaiian Checkout" Mission, which is a guided tour VFR flight. You'll even see some whales if you keep your eyes open. There's also an active volcano!Enjoy!Arvid