Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nils79

Can FSX being installed twice on the same computer

As above really, could I install FSX on say C drive, & again on D or whatever drive/folder.That way you could use one location for your real setup, & the other to test different configs/sw patches/scenery or tools. If it works in you test directory then you could add to your proper FSX flying sim drive.ThoughtsJohn

Guest Nils79

No. Because of the registry entries and the EULA.

>As above really, could I install FSX on say C drive, & again>on D or whatever drive/folder.>>That way you could use one location for your real setup, & the>other to test different configs/sw patches/scenery or tools. >If it works in you test directory then you could add to your>proper FSX flying sim drive.John, while it may be "theoretically possible" - at least insofar as the main FSX folder contents are concerned, there are several other issues aside from those already mentioned that would make such an attempt problematic.1. Both "installations" would still be using the same path to store configuration data external to the main FSX folder structure...X:Documents and Settings<UserName>Application DataMicrosoftFSXSince the fsx.cfg file is one of the files stored there... Well, you should get the picture... ;)2. Because most installers for add-ons rely on the Registry to obtain the path information, you would have to manually select the correct path each time. Some installers do not allow you to make a manual selection.Now with some clever and careful batch file work one could possibly overcome some of these issues (perhaps by judicious folder renaming?), there remains this ethical issue:You can possibly achieve the stated goal, butYou may not do so legally.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

-SNIP->1. Both "installations" would still be using the same path to>store configuration data external to the main FSX folder>structure...>>X:Documents and Settings<UserName>Application>DataMicrosoftFSX>>Since the fsx.cfg file is one of the files stored there...>Well, you should get the picture... ;)>-SNIP- Renaming the fsx.exe to fsx_2.exe will create a new "fsx_2.cfg" file, just as FS9 did. The other "external" files, however, would be shared. I copied my entire FSXSP1 installation to a different drive prior to installing AccelerationSP2. I can run either version using the exe rename however things like the addon tools menu won't work in the SP1 version as the dll.xml file points to the SP2 SDK. That, for me, is a minor irritation as I primarily keep the SP1 version for those occasions when I want to fly one of my favorite FS9 aircraft that got PORKED by the "SP2 induced" texture issues. Trying to run 2 copies is not for the faint of heart...or novice. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

You might think I am crazy....and you would be probably right.How about 4 or 5 instances of FSX.1. Boot from C.......FSX installed in F:FSX....this is my original.Now the fun begins:In another Drive.....I have 4 folders.....each folder has it's own system.......2 vista 64, 2 XP......each one has its own subfolder of FSX.........................and all of them run beautifully.All I have to do to boot up from any of those folders is to unfold that folder only and boot up from it and run the FSX that belongs to it........I thought you might get a kick out of this........I DO !!Abe

Argh, you are just confusing me :)What if I want to run two OS's. Say, Vista 64 (installed on one physical hard drive), and WinXP32 (installed on another physical hard drive), and then *one* copy of FSX (installed on yet another physical hard drive).I know this is legal, but is this do-able? I think some people are doing this...?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Are you talking about using Vmware Workstation, I guess this would work, but the host operating system will need lots of ram, plus each Vm machine has generic hardware profile.Or do you have a different method.John

With a dual boot system install FSX on each system, thats the cleanest way to do it, and keep them separate. You get 2 FSX activations before you have to call in. Check the EULA as needed, but I don't think MS out to get those running FSX under XP and Vista on the same box.

John,what I did is to rename all my fsx folders (the one containing the software and those that are in Documents and settings) to fsx_ori for example. Then I did a "repair" with the original DVD's. I the wrote a batch file to switch between both versions.J.J.JJ StruyfBraine-L'AlleudBelgium

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Guest Nils79

Rhett,this works. I have done this, before i switched completely to Vista. Install FSX under OS1 with all service packs, then rename the FSX folder and install FSX+SPs under OS2, on the same drive and in the same folder than under OS1. Then delete this folder and rename your first installation again. You have to install the most payware add-ons twice and sceneries must be also added twice (or copy the scenery.cfg).

Guest Nils79

John,The safest way: buy something like Acronis True Image and make regularly an image of your FSX. Everything else is too much work and too much risk.