Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

X-Graphics vs Flight Enviroment X

Guest ebiggins

Hi I saw a lot a people giving praise to Flight Enviroment X in a previous post but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on how X-Graphics by Hi-Fi Simulation compares to Flight Enviroment X. Hi-Fi Simulation also has weather simulation called X-Sky, will this work with FEX?I know there is another product called REX comming but no release date as of yet and I want to get a new sky package soon.Eric

Active Sky X aka ASX will work well with any third party cloud/environment enhancements, such as FEX. What the X Graphics part does is supply various combinations of clouds/sky/water/rodas/rails/airport textures according to the weather loaded into ASX, or by a chosen theme, but this step can be completly skipped in preferrence of outside files or "selectively" limited to areas, amongst many, that would not replace any textures installed by FEX or any other package. Skipping weather influenced install of X gragphics in no way diminishes the powers or abilities of ASX to do its thing.Also, you can install FEX and then make a backup in X-Graphics (not required to run ASX) for the FEX files, which can then be re-loaded later if you replaced them with XGraphics files and then want them all back from the backup. I did not try this with FEX and XGraphics myself but I am mentioning the backup feature available in XGraphics.Check the dedicated HiFi forum here.allen

It's also worth noting that FEX will include a feature in the very near future for downloading real-world weather data.

Hi Eric,Active Sky X is a comprehensive weather engine that is not directly related to textures or graphics. It does offer weather influenced selection of X-Graphics textures. It is worth it to note that Active Sky has been around for many years, expanding and becoming more robust with each version release. ASX is out now but as always we are working on a new wx engine to take the combined 6 years of experience and technology to the next level.X Graphics as mentioned contains many categories of textures beyond just sky/clouds/water.FEX's cloud and water textures are very nice and compliment ASX as well as XG very well.We understand REX is also in development which appears to offer even more great textures, but looks to be a very long way from completion.So there are many options for you, but I wanted to point out that ASX is really a completely different thing from graphics add-ons, and focuses on high-fidelity weather simulation and effects along with graphical mapping and planning, wx gauge, etc. It works great with any and all graphics add-ons.I'd also like to say that HiFi is working on its next graphics package as well (no release date yet) which will offer some amazing unique features and also attempt to create a universal environment where any and all graphics add-ons can work in harmony with each other and whatever weather engine the user is running to provide the best of all worlds with comprehensive weather-influenced control.We have a forum here on AVSIM and our website (http://www.hifisim.com) goes into detail about our various products.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies