Sign in to follow this  
Sweetd31

Need help troubleshooting the IRIS-F14 Tomcat

Long story short, I went on a mod download bender, and tested hundreds of planes to create my catalog. At first the IRIS F-14 worked fine, I downloaded the Grumman F14 which is also a Dino model. I downloaded the Eurofighter by IRIS as well, and decided to jump into the DC designs F15 and noticed the lights and hud wouldnt turn on, werid, jumped in the eurofighter same thing, jumped in aerosoft F16 same thing, no hud or monitors (MFDs) displaying. 

Delete, redownload eurofighter, try to recreate, but nothing, all other planes back to normal, EXCEPT the IRIS F-14 tomcat. Which would not display HUD, cabin lights, panel lights, exterior lights, or MFDs (monitors). Okay, so I say you know if I can just swap the interior and/or panels of the Grumman with the IRIS F-14 I'd settle and be happy, nbd. Which is where I need help. 

STEPS taken so far:

1) not skilled enough to solve the issue out right (no hud, no MFDs, no cabin lights, no panel lights). 

- Description: When I press L or shift-L the panel lights and/or cabin lights will flicker on for a second and immediately turn back off, like an electrical short. Hud and MFDs completely unresponsive. 

2) Swapped model.cfg of the Grumman F14 interior file into the IRIS F14, swapped code. Transferred all panel textures and panel

- Results: no interior loaded at all, apparently I can't swap interiors with different exteriors? I assumed since they were both Dino models it might work. 

3) Reverted original model.cfg files of the IRIS F14, BUT kept the panel.cfg of the Grumman F14

- Results (lights): IT FIXED THE PANEL LIGHTS AND THE CABIN LIGHTS! YAY 

-- Adopted the cabin light, exterior lights of the Grumman F14, but kept the red panel lights.. turned out awesome looking TBH

- Results: The afterburner effect now turn on when I press "L" for lights 😂 (just visually not sound or thrust)

-- Afterburners do NOT turn on when throttle threshold is achieved... but will if I press L

- Results: When I flip the Hud, MFDs they now respond, BUT have place holder white box for the HUD, and place holder black boxes for the MFDs... but at least they respond.

Day 1 Conclusion:

I am stoked I made progress getting the cabin lights to work (and adopted some cool colors in the process). 

Possible Solutions/Outcomes (what I need help with):

Option 1:

- since I have placeholders for the Hud and MFDs, its almost as if the original HUD, MFD files for the IRIS are missing, but other than downloading other mod planes, I never altered the IRIS file. 

-- Replace the HUD and MFDs with new HUDs and MFDs and fix afterburner effect turning on with "L" key

--- I believe this is the easiest solution? I know people have put the F18 mod hud in the F14

--- Same with MFDs, I have seen people put GX1000s, beechcraft or boeing MFDs in other planes

Option 2: 

- Complete the conversion of the IRIS F14 to the cockpit OR HUD/MFDs (see option 1).

-- I believe it is possible to do a full cockpit swap? or should I just focus on panel swap (option 1)?

----- both cockpits have awesome features, I believe the TACAN works in the Grumman, and with mods works with things like aircraft carriers (glass half full if I can just do a swap). 

Option 3: 

- Somehow, someway identify the corrupted file, or rediscover what I am missing? I know for the IRIS- F14, the the panel files are in a cabinet or .cab file. In the Grumman they are individual tiles and textures. Also, I need to fix the afterburners.... 

-- Redownloading definitely did not help... 

Option 4: Live with no Hud/MFDs, or delete the plane and move on.

-- At the end of the day when I began modding, I only really wanted the Aerosoft F16, I managed to acquire it along with several top notch add ons. Just be happy with what you got. 

--- In fact, I failed to find two planes in total the F-15 by milviz (well I found it.... but), and the mudhen F15 by iris. So it happens... the F14 does feel a little bird in the hand because it was fully functional when I first downloaded it and it is really well done. The cache 22 is if I would have been around to download these planes in the first place I wouldve cost a lot of money, I am lucky so much payware went freeware to begin with. 

Please let me know if anybody has a next step I could take, I sincerely appreciate it. 

-Daniel  

If I may make a suggestion, you might try your query at sim-outhouse.com. Participants in that forum are very knowledgeable about modding the legacy products and the community is very active in that regard.

Good luck on your search.

From your opening statement......"Long story short, I went on a mod download bender, and tested hundreds of planes to create my catalog. At first the IRIS F-14 worked fine."

A lot of times, depending on where you download from, you get a lot of "I modified this aircraft and called it my own" which tends to cause problems.  These developers will make modifications to effects and gauges that and keep the original names for them.  When you install them, they will cause problems with your original downloads that worked fine.

Do you remember any of these downloads that may have popped up a warning stating that some files have the same name and will be overwritten?  If you went ahead and clicked OK, then changes will be made and bad things happen!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hmm yeah most of the time file names are unique or the opposite scenario i click skip these files. But yeah tired mind will click the wrong thing from time to time. 

at this point ill never find the file without fresh install. The issue came i think with websites that have an installer, out of laziness id just directly download them to fsx.

I agree!  Those auto-installers are a pain.  I would have them install to my desktop, then pick them apart and put files
into the Sim myself.  If possible, I would never put gauges files into the main Gauges folder, rather put them directly into
the panel folder.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Okay, I did not know you could do that with the gauges. Thank you,

Small update, I successfully panel the F18, so it is possible. I deleted the cab and the HUD from the surrogate plane and it still is posting white boxes, about to try the F18 panel. Stubborn plane. 

(Hope yal don't mind my updates it is helping me keep track/putting this out there for anyone else)

Day 2: First of all, coding was way easier in the 2000s! I tried coding a dream game of mine on unity and gave up after two weeks. I am a biologist I must admit... not the kind of "code" i am used to. 

But, turns out you CAN do a cockpit swap between each model, this is the only way to get the Grumman F14 panels to integrate into the IRIS-F14, in fact i did it in reverse. I realized there are textures in the IRIS file preventing the Grumman F14 from being displayed, hints the white and black boxes. So I put the IRIS model in with the Grumman F14 file, updated .cng, Waaalah it worked, everything....now just to add the exterior and call it a day, right? WRONG! of course it wouldn't be that simple. 

Now... I used the exterior of the IRIS, but the interior of the Grumman. It was black, but the cockpit was fully functional, lights, everything. So I add the texture of the IRIS model, it works but some of the interior or VC code is tied into the external model.... come on, of course it is. 

I am going to try to just delete the fallback texture.vc line and see if it works. I read on the internet someone did this exact thing and had the same issue that it conflicts with the panel and exterior lights. But at least I can navigate now... and I could just fly this one during the day. BUT I am so close.... 

In summary, I have a grumman with functional computers and HUD, and I have a IRIS with functional lights... Now just to combine the code logic and isolate the conflicts.... Going to tackle IRIS later on, at the end of the day I just want a clean version of the grumman that flys at a lower CAT rating. The Grumman is arguably the better modeled cockpit, but the red panel lights look so clean on the IRIS.... 

All and all thank you for the support, I hope I come out on the other end of this with a semi-education in FSX coding. 

Sorry moderator, I know you have to approve all of these... 

So here is where I am at... I now know what callback lines are for, and sure enough it is the call back lines of the IRIS model that cause a conflict... went into the texture.cfg file and  instructed it to START with the Grumman texture file on line 1. Sure enough it WORKED, I now have the IRIS model, with the Grumman cockpit with fully functional HUD, MFDs, and lights. 

Now, I need to figure out which callbacks of the IRIS files need to be added to line for things like external lights, afterburners, etc.

New issues that arose (because of course there would be...):  the rear wheels are sunk into the ground,

afterburners effects not present due to the new model. 

Day 2 Summary: I consider this a giant success, I identified the misguided lines, corrected them and it worked perfectly, I am thrilled. 

Goals for Day 3:

1)

- Get the wheels or height map appropriately corrected.

-- OR live with it, because I fly VC anyways. 

2) 

- Get the afterburner effects working

-- OR live with it, see "1)"

3) Use what I learned today to reinvestigate the issues with the IRIS model

-- I highly doubt I will be able to correct the native issues, BUT I think I know how to swap VCs and now believe it is the callbacks causing the issue for that file since it worked retrograde. 

--- Figure out which files are conflicting the HUD and MFDs (panel swap only) 

---- I believe this is due to the "glass" and "day" and "night" hud/MFD textures that are blocking the panel swap. It is hard to say because Dino compressed that file into a cabinet folder. Weirdly Dino's Iris model references itself as an alias via the cabinet, which leads me to believe something is gone wrong there. But I highly doubt I have the code skills to figure that out, as I am thrilled to have made this much progress to begin with. 

Thank you all, 

hopefully this can serve as a nice guide for future troubleshooters. 

I am officially calling it, I swapped the cockpits, everything works but the navigation, strobe, and taxi lights. At the very least the landing light works. But unfortunately, Dino used two entirely different methods of spawning lights, and I had to pick between the cockpit lights and the exteriors. Since I fly VC it was no brainer.

Hell most times I turn on taxi lights, landing lights, etc, I forget they are and fly at 30,000 feet with them on. I might consider throwing them into blender and seeing why he chose the technique he did. But for the IRIS model, he chose to illuminate the cockpit with exterior lights. i.e. strobe or nav, one or the other. Because of that, without going into blender, as stated in the aircraft.cfg, the "lights are tied into the MDL file". Everytime I tried to rewrite the code as I pleased, I'd lose the cockpit light. Not gonna lose any more sleep as I am satisfied, if someone else wants to work out the kinks, I'll post it to flyawaysim 

If you downloaded the F-14 from Flyaway, I would recommend the "real one" from Dino's site.  It's freeware!

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2022/01/freeware-releases-for-p3d-fsx.html

Charlie Aron

Wait nevermind, the IRIS got corrupted, but I have both. I got the IRIS from IRISsimulation.com.au

It was the early design cockpit, nbd, I try not to get too bent over it.