Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Wide View Aspect Ratio

Guest RichardL

Question for FSX users with wide screen monitors.In degrees, how much additional horizontal view is obtained when using FSX in wide screen mode? That is, using a 16:9 (10?) monitor and with WideAspect=True mode?I believe the FSX zoom view is defaulted to 100%. If the standard view is, let's say, 50 degrees, would wide screen be 55, 60, 70 degrees?Regards,Richard

According to a thread in the hardware forum, the view is equivalent to a zoom of 60% on a regular screen.All I can say is that it looks a lot more "real" on a 1680x1050 22 inch monitor. Much better situational awareness when approaching final as well, since you can see what is at your 10 o'clock without panning.

Bert

I tried WideAspect=True using my Matrox TH2GO but reverted back to WideAspect=False (with the view fully zoomed) out as I prefer it that way.

I'm with Bert, except with a Samsung 19". I run 1680 x 1050, w/a=true.I honestly didn't notice any difference - but wasn't really looking for field of vision - more "are my gauges round?". I use TrackIR and - to a great degree - this makes field of vision a non-issue.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest RichardL

Thanks for the information. Actually, I would like to "see" more of the front left and right quarter views while the screen view is looking forward.Richard

>I tried WideAspect=True using my Matrox TH2GO but reverted>back to WideAspect=False (with the view fully zoomed) out as I>prefer it that way.But saying that, I've just finished a flight from Sequoia Ranch, California using the Acceleration P-51D and GEX textures and ASX weather. Flying over those hills and moutains with WideViewAspect=True. Wow! What a flight! Just a pity you can't post wide screen shots here...but then again I'm not a great screen shot taker anyway.

Sure you can :-), look below for an example.Suggest using Fsscreen for multiple shots or just use the Print Screen key for singles. open up in a simple screen editor, like Irfanview, and resample to half the resolution... and post !

Bert