Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Another new computer reinstall FS question

I am still lookig for the "No Hassle" and probably "NO WAY" solution to going new computer and not hving to completely reinstall everything.I have FS by itself on separate D drive.Can I install this HD with FS in new computer and maybe run FS repair?I'd still have to install UTX,GEX etc to my c drive I know.I think I did this with FS9 when I went to new computer or at least the guys at the shop did it.I remember taking old unit in and picking up new one with everything working.Just curious.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Guest fsxmissionguy

The best "no hassle" solution is to buy a new computer, and replace the hard drive that ships with it with the hard drive in your old computer.Voila! No installs.You can use the new drive for other space.Cheers

>The best "no hassle" solution is to buy a new computer, and>replace the hard drive that ships with it with the hard drive>in your old computer.>>Voila! No installs.>>You can use the new drive for other space.>>CheersWhat about purchased addons that require registry entries not to mention FSX itself??Voila!!! Major problems. ;)

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

OK,Thanks for the 2 responses.First is for what I want to try to do and the second is for why I don't think it will work.Ron

I don't think there is any way but the painful way. Just went thru it a week ago and still finding a few aircraft that need to be re registered- a major #@$#$. Searching for all the patches, serial numbers, reactivations, etc. was very time consuming. I long for the days of the first windows when I was able to back the whole computer on to a cassette tape-then restore it in about an hour. Have things really improved?I still wish a 3rd party developer would come out with a "roboform" type of program that would store all the numbers, codes, patches and do it all transparently when one has to go thru this-either due to a new system or one of those perky activation errors that pop up from time to time!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Thanks Geofa.I really appreciate all your advice.I'am actually starting to get excited about doing a new install.It is winter here in Ill like Mich. Just for Your info.My daughters did very well in cello and violin and I still have the cello and violin on display.Lot of hard work learning thoses instruments.Ron

How about I back up my add on scenery,effects.gauges.modules, simobjects,scenery,texture folders etc .Reinstall FSX,Sp1,Acceleration and then copy my backup folders into new FS overwritng files?Thanks,Ron

What if install both my current HD's in the new unit with all programs intact?Ron

I really think by the time you pick through and back everything up and copy here and copy there, you may as well reinstall the whole thing plus addons. I found this with FS9. It's far easier to take the hit and reinstall it all. The only sure fire way IMHO.merry xmas

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

It probably (certainly?) won't boot due to differences in the chipset drivers. The only clean way to install a new OS is bite the bullett and install everything from scratch. All mileage is variable, but I think you'll save youself a lot of grief by not trying to shortcut the process - especially if you're moving from XP to Vista at the same time.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for the info.Just picking all of you expert's brains here.That is the info I need to make a decision that I knew I was going to make.Complete reinstall.Except my computer guy is in hiding because he told me the 8800 GT was no longer available and I sent him multible places it is.Ron

My guy also messed up on that-and ordered the wrong card. I ended up ordering my own-with a week delay. The card is worth the wait though!Just fyi-I found with this card-set all the defaults to the highest in the nvidea control panel-better looks and much better performance!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Geofa,I just downloaded RS Registry fix from fs tweaks.It says it fixes the registry(I don't know what that means)when you move fsx to a different drive etc so reinstall isn't necessary.Do you know anything about this?It seems it might work for my new unit.I emailed him for more info.Thanks,Ron