Sign in to follow this  
loop_n_roll

Another ILS question

Approaching PHX and cleared to ILS RWY 26. I have everything set up, have intercepted localizer and glide slope with gear down and flaps set. Airspeed controlled by the autothrottle is set at 160 and that's what's indicated. Suddenly the aircraft (default 737) makes a nosedive toward the ground. Could I be stalling out? Capturing the back course from the other end of the RWY? I tried the approach in the 172 and it was successful (but of course the slower speed helps a new pilot).In FS9 I would use AFCAD to disable the back course from the other end of the RWY when the frequencies were the same. Is this still a bug in FSX?

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest fsxmissionguy

Hmmm ... in FSX, I would grab the control column and begin steering the airplane ... but that's just me ... I like to fly.

If you have turbulence active in the weather setiings you would be experiencing a rtaher nasty downdraft. I dont think they are meant to do that in FSX but it does. You should use maual throttle to maintain glide slope rather then yoke. Remembering you have to think ahead, you should always be flying the plane below 500ft not in auto pliot, practise practise practice then do it in fog. Use a smaller slower plane untill you can fly the glide slope manually then go for the bigger faster planes.

I'd say 160 knots would be a bit fast for the B737 on final too. With full flaps I'd say about 135 would be a better speed. Practice stall speeds for different flap settings at a higher altitude just to be sure of where they are.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks for the replies. I just did the same landing in SLC without problems.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram