Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nils79

New FSX Install on Vista and No ATC Sound???? HELP!!!!!

Just got the new system... its an XPS 420 with Vista Home Premium. Its a Quad Core 6600 2.4. I do have engine and environmental sound but there is no ATC sound.I can see it "broadcasting" but hear nothing.In Multiplayer, nobody can hear me and I can't hear them. I have installed service pack 1 but it didn't work either before or after and I also tried an uninstall and reinstall of FSX. I have seen this problem posted but no responses were given.Could someone please help...

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Guest Nils79

If you are using 2 sound devices (e.g. onboard sound and a X-fi card), you should check if your sound card is really set as default sound device in Vista and not the onboard sound chip. If your onboard sound chip is used for voice recording in Vista, then also the ATC in FSX will be using the onboard sound.Check also, if the file "USEnglishBig.gvp" (FSXsoundatc) exists and if you are using MytrafficX, you have to use the sound patcher or use editvoicepack.

I checked and USENglishbig.gvp is there, I'm not using traffic X and I have onboard sound only. This installation of FSX has no addons except for SP 1.Any other ideas?Remember: I have engine sound etc, just nothing from ATCand the multiplayer voice does not work.All firewalls are turned off and security disabled.I really need help...

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Guest Nils79

You are using the latest drivers for your onboard sound and the settings of the onboard sound are configured correctly in Vista?You can test your onboard sound with dxdiag.

My friend has Vista Ultimate running the same onboard sound with the same driver and it works fine. I can't think of any other possible thing? Do you think we should try Vista Ultimate or revert to XP Pro?

Scott Falkowitz

A couple of things to try:1. Try turning off all the other sound types, except for voice, in the Options | Settings | Sound dialog and see if you can hear the ATC voices then (maybe a mixing problem).2. Try running one of the missions (the takeoff and landing Tutorial1 would be fine) and see if you get any of the mission voices.

NO mission voices only engine and environmental sounds. The voice is the only thing that doesn't work.I tried to disable everything but voice and that didn't work.As I said in the previous post, the only difference between my computer and my friend's is that I have a faster video card and processor and he has Vista Ultimate and his works fine.I'm at a loss.. Maybe try Vista Ultimate?

Scott Falkowitz

Guest Nils79

Wait before you reinstall.Do you use Skype? Or try to record something with your microphone.What speaker setup do you use (headset, stereo, 5.1 etc.)?

I did a test record with my microphone last night and it was working with no problem. I use 5.1 surround. Have you heard of these problems with Vista Home Premium?

Scott Falkowitz

Guest Nils79

>I did a test record with my microphone last night and it was>working with no problem. I use 5.1 surround. Have you heard>of these problems with Vista Home Premium?That is really strange. No, i'm using Vista64 Home Premium and i have no problems :) Please try the latest driver for your onboard sound - i guess Realtek HD. You are using an external microphone wihout a headset? Check all cable connections and test your speaker setup. Check with other games and dxdiag.If everything works and only FSX doesn't work, then you have a really strange problem and i have no idea, what you could do, because you reinstalled FSX and the problem is still present...

At this point, I don't believe the mic has anything to do with it becuase even if you are flying a mission or just in regular free flight, you can't hear the ATC or the ATIS.I am using Vista 32 bit.The driver that I have for my onboard sound is the same driver that my friend is using for his exact same onboard sound and it works fine on his.Anything else that you come up with is well appreciated...

Scott Falkowitz

Guest diajohn2

In FSX have you gone into Options, Sound and see if you have it set up at a volume you can hear? Do you see or hear any ATC Messages? If you hear them but cannot respond make sure you have a pilot setup in Options, settings, general.If you can hear anything in the sim, it is not your sound card but FSX not being properly set up.

I can see and respond to the messages coming from ATC but cannot hear them. All other sound works just fine; engines, wind, flap noise etc.This is the 4th machine that I have had FSX running on and everything worked just fine.I'm completely at a loss. The pilot's voice is checked, voice is turned all the way up and I even lowered the engines etc... and I hear nothing from ATC.The only thing different with this machine is a faster CPU and video card and this one is running Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Scott Falkowitz

Guest diajohn2

I am using Vista 32 also and no problems. Is this a particular aircraft or all of them?

All of them. There is no difference. Additionally, I can't hear the voices in multiplayer and they can't hear me. But again, the other sounds are fine....Are you using home premium?

Scott Falkowitz