Sign in to follow this  
JMR

Wake turbulence almost killed me.

Guest BOPrey

Using ASX and RC. When making a flight from atlanta to miami, RC asked me 'taxi into position and hold' without regard to another 737 was landing on the same runway. After I taxied into position, the 737 zoomed by over head and aborted the landing. So everything was clear and I throttled forward and took off. At around 100 ft off the ground, my right wing sinked suddenly. I then immediately stick left to corrected it, but moments later, the left wing sinked and I had to deal with it again. I then realized it had to be the wake turbulence generated by that jet. I feel great when I finally came out of it. I don't know if that's how wake turbulence is real live, but it did caught me by surprise.

Guest acolvard

Wake turbulance in a small GA trainer like a C172 can be very real. When I was a student my instructor purposely made me fly into the wake of a small jet. I went from a nice approach attitude to a 45 degree bank in a split second but recovered nicely. When he asked me to turn into the turbulance I said "what about the wake turbulance" and he said it will be ok. He later said he just wanted me to get a feel for what could happen.

Guest Xiderpunk

I am also very respectful of wake turbulence, a couple of years ago I watched a C152 from one of the training establishments based at my local field taking off shortly after a Robinson R44 had landed on the adjecent and parallel runway. It went to a near 80-90 degree bank in a second at around 150ft AAL before managing to recover within feet of an unpleasant return to earth.Talking to the instructor, he realized the risk and had taken control from his student just after take-off. He regretted not realizing until after they were airborne. Both himself and his student were lucky to have got away with this incident as everyone watching at the time thought we were witnessing the very worst.

Guest BOPrey

It sounds like ASX has it right on.

What you experienced is exactly what happens. Especially with jets and the larger the plane the worst the condition.As the plane flys, the high pressure air on the bottom of the wing swirls over the tip to fill the low pressure on the top of the wing. This forms a very tight horizontal vortex. Sort of like a tornado lying horizontally and streaming out behind the plane.Looking from the back of the plane, the Vortex on the RH wing is rotating counterclockwise while the LH side is rotating clockwise. These vortices descend slowly after formation and eventually break up.If you are flying behind one and are close enough, you can fly into one, for instance if you enter the right hand one, you encounter a downward flow on your right wing. This causes you to input left roll, you now roll left and if you roll far enough you hit the left side vortex. This is rotating in a clockwise motion and drives your left wing even further down. It has been know to completely flip smaller airplanes and can even create some excitement on the larger ones. This is why there are certain required separation distances when taking off or landing behind the larger jets.Hope this helps explain i a little.Tom

Also if you notice ATC will issue a caution advisory of departing aircraft on parallel runways after you get TO clearence. Whether this is meant for collision avoidance, WT or coincidence is anybodys guess.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>Using ASX and RC. When making a flight from atlanta to miami,>RC asked me 'taxi into position and hold' without regard to>another 737 was landing on the same runway. After I taxied>into position, the 737 zoomed by over head and aborted the>landing. So everything was clear and I throttled forward and>took off. At around 100 ft off the ground, my right wing>sinked suddenly. I then immediately stick left to corrected>it, but moments later, the left wing sinked and I had to deal>with it again. I then realized it had to be the wake>turbulence generated by that jet. I feel great when I finally>came out of it. I don't know if that's how wake turbulence is>real live, but it did caught me by surprise.Just like real-life, lol.

>>Using ASX and RC. When making a flight from atlanta to>miami,>>RC asked me 'taxi into position and hold' without regard to>>another 737 was landing on the same runway. After I taxied>>into position, the 737 zoomed by over head and aborted the>>landing. So everything was clear and I throttled forward>and>>took off. At around 100 ft off the ground, my right wing>>sinked suddenly. I then immediately stick left to corrected>>it, but moments later, the left wing sinked and I had to>deal>>with it again. I then realized it had to be the wake>>turbulence generated by that jet. I feel great when I>finally>>came out of it. I don't know if that's how wake turbulence>is>>real live, but it did caught me by surprise.>>>Just like real-life, lol.Yea read up on some of the incidents here.http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/search/database.html

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I remember out here in California in the early 90's a small private jet carrying In-N'-Out executives were killed when their plane encountered wake turbulence from a 757 while on approach to John Wayne Airport. Very nasty stuff. You can see some wake turbulence videos over at YouTube.Here's one

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

YehaaThere I was in my FSD PA-31 Tower just told me to taxi into position and hold after an A320 took off. I then received clearence to take off, Throttle up and started rolling. At VR i rotated, Positive rate, gear up then WHAT.....Is something wrong with my CH Products Yoke?,,,,, My right wing dropped then trying to correct my left wing.....OH I thought to myself of a post I saw on avsim... WAKE TURBULENCE! COOL, COOLNESS, COOL DUDE....Well Not that cool it was a simulator after all, Had I been in my Cessna 150 Real trainer with my CFII I most likely wouldnt be grinning and thinks that it was cool. IN FSX with Active Sky it was...COOL COOL COOLThanks HiFi Sim! Cant wait for Pax Program.!