Sign in to follow this  
Guest Desert Flyer

FSX Acceleration says FSX not installed, but it is!

Guest Desert Flyer

Okay I don't get what the problem is or how to correct it.I installed the demo of FSX before buying FSX. FSX demo wasn't listed in the programs uninstall area of Windows Vista so I ended up just deleting the directory that I installed it to.I installed the retail version of FSX and seems okay, there is a shortcut that shows up in my Games menu for Windows Vista and I've played the game and activated it successfully.I now want to install the Acceleration expansion but it runs and then pops up a window saying that FSX must be installed first and that it's not installed.So how do I get around this problem?Thanks

Guest Desert Flyer

I don't think I can thank you enough Jim. I was about to package the game and it's expansion back up and go do some yelling down at the local walmart to get a refund but this tool that you linked fixed the problem and FSX Acceleration is now on it's way updating components and installing itself.Your help has been much appreciated.//Sidenote: I had a feeling that it was a registry problem because when I go to install FSX I see an window like the one below: Which IMO, is missing things probably like accpeting their license so it probably never wrote the necessary path to the registry.http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6758/fsxweirdtextsv4.jpgWhich I'll have to call MS support on and see if I just have a boffo'd DVD for the FSX game which seems likely to mem because when I click on the "more options" button it's a normal window that lets me choose to add a shortcut to the desktop, choose the installation directory etc. All normal under more options, but that IDS_INSTALL button is just whacked.But I'll probably try installing it without activating it on my laptop which is running Windows XP Pro SP2 and see if the install screen is the same then I can limit it being a bad install media or a problem with my Vista installation perhaps or some other problem.

If you can read the DVD, try to copy both DVDs to a single temporary folder on your hard drive. Just name it FSXSetup or something easy to remember. The second DVD will ask you if it's OK to overwrite some files since they're shared on both DVDs. Just allow the process. When the copying is finished, run setup.exe located in the temporary folder you just created.I've seen this issue in the past, but it was usually solved by copying the DVDs to the hard drive. Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Desert Flyer

Thanks, I did that this morning as a last ditch attempt. I was greeted with the same window when installing it from the hard drive. But the game installs and activates and plays fine.I forgot what thread I was in, hahahaha.Anyway, the expansion installed okay, but Im still greeted with that window when installing from the hard drive. But the game also installed okay from the dvd's as well, but also showed me the same screen like above. I guess if I can't fix it, and MS can't then I'll just need to keep that registry fixer program you linked permanantly for future installs.