Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

ScanAFD.exe for FSX?

Has anyone been successful using the ScanAFD.exe utility to scan for duplicate AFCADs in FSX? I tried e-mailing Elliot Rodgers, the developer of this FS9 utility, to find out if he's making a FSX compatible version, but the e-mail address listed in his Readme-txt file bounced.If ScanAFD doesn't work in FSX, does anyone know of another method?Thanks...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Have to say that using AFX gives me a degree of security as it will list all the AFD files and I can sort out the duplicates that way - not as conveneint as ScanAFD though.

>>Have to say that using AFX gives me a >degree of security as it will list all >the AFD files and I can sort out the >duplicates that way>The statement is more accurate by saying AFX will give you a degree of FALSE security because it will list all bgl's that must have a airport header (ARP) in order for some enhanced airports to work properly.Many many designers are now using the proper FS9 techniques that came forward in FSX in order for a airport to set elevations properly, BGL's that must be placed in proper folders besides the addon scenery folder, read in approach code from a Global folder source, move a airport to another location, setup double ARP entries for preload purposes, etc.AFX knows nothing about the multiplaced bgl's with additional XML compiled to a bgl that will list in their window as a double entry AFD.Please, DO NOT use AFX or any Utility that thinks it is seeing 3 or more AFD bgl's (2 are always mandatory) unless you evaluate and validate what is in each bgl listed.If you start removing any Airport type bgl that a Utility reports as a duplicate you will corrupt a lot of other airports you downloaded that required more then a single ARP to combine airport Facility Data into a single source record.ScanAFD destroyed alot of FS9 multi ARP bgl airports and published warnings in using these type utilities continue to be unheeded. If you are not sure why you see more then 2 Airport Facility Data BGL's (AFD bgl's which must ALWAYS have a minimum of 2 for FS9/FSX) then contact the designer and ask them if their enhanced airport required 3 or more.

Jim,AS usual your knowledge in this area is always informative and we all appreciate your willingness to teach the rest of us.Are you then saying that we should soley rely on the layering of airports to differentiate between old and new AFCADS and not remove any added duplicates? ScanAFD never pulled out original airports, but it was usefull for checking multiple add-on AFCADS. For example, I used to load most of the default official PAI AFCADS, then as new scenery was added with their own AFCADS, I would run ScanAFD to deactivate the PAI AFCAD. I don't recall it ever reporting original FS native files.BTW, do you know Eliott Rogers or from where-abouts he came? Something tells me he used to hang around the original PAI forums.I think this would be a perfect, simple, freeware utility for one of the fine developers to bring forward to the FSX scene as a way of supporting the community.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE